1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

They will fit, but do I want them?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bighit, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jan 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    Bighit

Bighit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD Short bed
    3" Tuff Country Lift + AAL rear Magnaflow muffler
    I have been told that 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT's will fit on my 08 TRD with 3" lift and AAL without rubbing or the need for trimming.
    My question, is will I loose power, mess up my gear ratio, and stress the drive train?
    I jumped two sizes on my last F-150 and felt that it was never the same. It seemed to loose power and torque. Granted the truck had 230K on it when I put them on, but it seemed to head downhill fast after going to the bigger tires.
    I want these tires on black XD Revolvers but I don't want to end up regretting the decision. My other choice is Maxxis Bighorns or if the size is a real problem, I will probably go for some Big O Bigfoot XT's in 275/70/17.
    Help me out please.

2. Jan 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Had 285/75/16 Cooper STTs on my truck... I didn't need to trim with those, but I also think it's unrealistic to think you won't have to. (Plan for the worst, but hope for the best and all). Many people run that size with no adverse affects on the drive train.

I don't remember what it was like driving my truck without the bigger tires, but I never really noticed a considerable loss of power when I made the switch.

The STTs are fantastic! A bit noisy on the highway but that's because they're an MT. I regret not buying them again...

3. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    STTs seem like a good tire from what i've heard. the 285 should fit without much issue. I never really noticed a adverse effect on my truck from larger tires, except the steering got a little heavier from the wider offset wheels and of course a little MPG too.

Products Discussed in

To Top