1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Things like this make me mad.

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Dr_Kevorkian, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    Dr_Kevorkian

Dr_Kevorkian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5 DC PreRunner
  2. Jan 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Tacoma DCSB
    None, yet
    Should he be covered? yes
    BUT
    This is why I carry a disposable CPR mask (issued by my dept) on my person. Its located in a cuff case on my belt, because you never know when you're going to have to use that.

:crapstorm:

3. Jan 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    I agree with you, he should be covered, because it is considered part of his job. To serve and protect.

4. Jan 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Arctic Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    I carry my own medic bag on duty to treat other officers and/or myself before EMS arrives. I'm CLS trained, so I can plug holes and apply tourniquets, but I'd much rather leave the medic work for the professionals.

I would use it if necessary to save a life, but if I know the person can hang on until EMS arrives I won't use it.

5. Jan 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Glocking Tall

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
    I have first responder training, so I have no choice but to do my best to treat someone. Part of my job.

6. Jan 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    LilTuffGirl

LilTuffGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    WV
    3" rough country lift leather
    Not LEO yet but I have medic training - I would not do mouth to mouth even on a 10year old. Sounds bad but i've seen it all and it's just not worth the risks. Not to mention straight chest compressions can help with minimal air circulation as well.
    I do plan to carry a mask in case though.. and most departments here issue a first responder bag to. Oddly my boyfriends has a lot of things in it he can't legally use without more training.

7. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Biographical Info

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Deputy Sheriff

Sebastian Diana

Orange County Sheriff's Office, Florida

End of Watch: Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tour of Duty: 12 years
    Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Duty related illness
    Date of Incident: February 27, 2006
    Weapon Used: Not available
    Suspect Info: Not available

Deputy Sebastian Diana died from complications of a bacterial infection he contracted while attempting to save an infant.

On February 26, 2006, Deputy Diana responded to a 911 call involving an 3-month-old child who wasn't breathing. He was the first deputy on scene and immediately began CPR, during which he came in contact with the child's vomit.

As a result of his efforts he contracted a bacterial infection that caused him to suffer continued health issues that ultimately led to heart failure.

Deputy Diana had served with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for 12 years. He is survived by his wife and four children.
    My buddy Seabass. Good man went to the academy with him.

8. Feb 2, 2012 at 2:15 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is not suprising to me. It is common nowdays.

I had a choice to do CPR with no mask or go back and get it from my vehicle. Luckily the FD rolled up when I went back to my vehicle to get it. They brought the guy back to life. Dont question the fact I didnt do CPR without a mask.

9. Feb 2, 2012 at 2:21 AM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Dbl Cab 4x4 MT
    There's no way that I'd give mouth to mouth to anyone without a mask. And even with a mask, there's chances of vomit coming up through the valve (even the "one-way valves). Had a Paramedic buddy that had a guy vomit while masked and it shot up through the valve, luckily he wasn't breathing into it at the time.

Now a days they're starting to train that chest compressions are more effective than breaths anyways.

10. Feb 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    somerset

somerset Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD
    No brainer that the officer should of been covered, I guess in the end regardless of any "Good Samaritan Act" or "Duty to Rescue". The LEO has to make that decision him/herself, and in the end will have to live with that decision for the rest of their lives.

If they are still alive to talk about it, then it was the right decision.

11. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    Check out Castle Rock Vs Gonzales. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo- But it comes down to the fact that cops AREN'T mandated to "serve and protect" in most places and that there is no requirement that they do because of the burden of liability for that protection.
    I have great respect for most LEOs...but unless they are very lucky-They will spend the majority of their careers as armed historians.

12. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Dbl Cab 4x4 MT
    True, only a few departments around here carry AED's in their patrol cars. The other agencies decided against it because it was too much of a liability. Medical is left to the first responders, emts, and paramedics. And a fact that I just recently learned, apparently our state troopers are certified first responders.

13. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'm imagining a lifetime movie plot where a city council person making this type of medical coverage denial decision turns out needing help from that same officer that was denied coverage from a similar incident. I'm also imagining that person dying in the movie due to the officer's frozen natural instinct responses because of the denial nonsense.

I see a much bigger possible loss to the city having personnel show up and do nothing in the form of court time and lawyer fees acting to defend inactions of first responders.

14. Feb 6, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    working out in industrial areas, we are the ones who will be calling the EMS if we need to. As such, we are always the first ones on scene and are all trained in "First Aid Class C + AED" which is what it says on my certificate. We don't carry around masks and I hope I never have to give a greasy rig worker the kiss of like but I think instinct would take over if I was ever in the situation. Our health plan would cover us though.

15. Feb 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    badboyrr

badboyrr Well-Known Member

Member:
    spring branch TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    matching topper, rear air bags
    My hats off to him.

16. Feb 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Don't they still have those deals where you put one end in the victims mouth and one end in yours where there is no direct contact to do this? :confused:

17. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Several first responders have told me on the Q.T.that they won't give mouth-to-mouth it if they don't have a mask. I carry one in the first aid kit in my truck. Glad the newest CPR standards say to just keep compressions going w/o any breathing.

18. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    NYSP trains all troopers to be a first responders. We a required to act on this training during any situation that would require this level. Every emergency is equiped with cpr (one way valve) masks along with other emergency medical supplies. If you have to perform cpr and choose not to use the mask then its on you.

19. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana What's my motivation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Bay Area, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper, 285/70R16 KM2s on stock wheels.
    Working on LEO but just based off of my lifesaver/bloodborne pathogens/EMT-B training you won't find me doing mouth to mouth on well...just about anyone including family. I'll at least cover my mouth with a shirt if it absolutely came down to it with a family member to try and keep anything like that from coming into contact with my mouth. Regardless of the patient you need to take a step back and realize it's not YOUR emergency and calls involving kids can induce that instinctual response to help without analyzing the situation first. That being said all of our boats have EMT kits and I always carry a CPR mask and rubber gloves in my center console just in case.

20. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Man do not throw out the EMT card without a NREMT #. insulto de inhumó is insulting.

To Top