1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Things Not to Tell the Dealer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tcBob, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Jun 8, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just called a friend who is a councelman and serves on the Police Commision. After looking at the repair history, I wanted a Taco. He called a friend on the police commission who owned the Toyo dealership.
    Steve had 7,700 on his ride and wanted a Tundra. I don`t need a 6 change CD. And would never have ordered it. But it was tricked out.
    I just asked him what he had in it. He showed me the recipts for the topper, etc. and He got 7,700 miles and I paid what he had in it less some wear.
    Actualy. he forgot to include the grand for the topper.
    I took it in for the 10,000 and the gal writing it up did not know me. I wanted several extras. Gary ,the svc. mgr. was standing right there, She said, I`ll get you an estimate. I said, that is not the way we do this.
    You do the work. Gary
    gives me a fair price and finds warranty and TSB items and I pay you. End of story.
    She was somewhat taken aback.
    The change to all M1 and a few other things were
    N/C at all.
    Plus I borrowed a car for the three hours that Gary had schedualed.
    We had discussed what we were going to do.
    You only need to know about 100 people in this county. Someone will know any additional that may be useful.
    So, a rep is vital. It takes a lifetime to earn, and can be lost in a heartbeat.

2. Jun 8, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    I first showed minor interest to the sales person when my friend was deciding on a new 07 tundra. He gave me a test drive in the 07 tacoma and was very cool with everything and showed me all the options and gave me no pressure. 3 months later after doing my research i went back and went to the internet sales to get a good solid starting price. The guy was a jerk so i just got up and left. Then about 2 months later I went though the fleet manager/internet sales via email. turns out i ended up getting the same jerk. got the lowest price after emailing him back and forth to having him match or beat other toyota dealers in the area. After finally getting the best price i was comfortable with, i went back to the dealership and went to the sales person who first helped me and gave me the testdrive. it was 6 months since he gave me the test drive and he still remembered who i was and what vehicle i was interested in. I showed him the price and told him can he beat this price. He did and i bought the 08 tacoma and he got the commission instead of the internet sales jerk. Plus got a good trade in on my 96 honda accord considering the cat need to be replaced, the valver cover gasket was leaking, oil was getting into 2 of the 4 sparkplugs, wheels were butterflied, among other things.

3. Jun 8, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I first did research on Edmunds and Consumer Reports and then went to the dealer with the bottom line price in my head. After considerable discussion and me leaving and coming back twice, they shot me a price that was EXACTLY...to the cent....what Edmunds and CR said it should be for bottom line best number.

With gas prices as they are today, I doubt I'd get that pricing on the l4.

4. Jun 8, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    adamceckhardt

adamceckhardt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow, tcbob, I sure hope you're kidding about not being in agreement with #10- you know, the whole "be polite" and don't talk down to the salesperson deal.

Salespeople are human beings too, trying to put food on their table just like you do. When I was selling, I ran into plenty of jerks that thought working with a salesperson was a ticket to act like an ass. Do you believe in Karma? I do.

As far as the rest of it goes, a good salesperson has heard all the lines in the world, and they hear them many times a day. They know when they're being lied to- you're not the first person to say "nah, i'm not trading anything in" when you've showed up with a "for sale" sign in your rig.

5. Jun 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    I know my credit is bad.I can refinance later right?? Know the strength of your credit score.

6. Jun 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    #27 "hey, was that your wife I saw at (insert favorite strip club here) last night?"

7. Sep 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    09TRDSpt

09TRDSpt African Light Infantry

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4x4
  8. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    TampaDude

TampaDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Riverview, FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 Silver 5-Lug Access Cab
  9. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    15 years ago I was the facilities manager for a known bank in SF bay area. Shopping for a new Volvo for my wife, the salesperson promised me he will sell the car for invoice plus $500.00. I had him put it on paper, left the dealer and went down the street to my local branch and asked the manager to see if they financed the cars for that Volvo dealer. Shore enough, we find the Vin # for that particular sedan, made a copy from the print out and made back to the dealer. Of course the price was $3.500
    less than his quote, and he was forced to give me the car at the "new" price.
    I guess my job helped me on that particular deal.
    Take care
    vbibi:(

10. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop

no matter what their "lowest price" or "best deal", offer lower. thats their lowest price in order to make a profit. granted, we all have to make money and its expensive to run a car business, dealers will take advantage of customers to profit. research the vehicle and know it inside and out, options included, crawl underneath the vehicle and pop the hood. Show the man in the shirt and tie you know more about what hes selling than he does. if your offer gives him any profit at all, he'll sell. especially if you buy vehicles with CASH

Products Discussed in

To Top