1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

think i can tow skid steer?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by countryboy22, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    bpurdy

bpurdy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Duluth MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab Tacoma 4x4 5 speed
    Heavy Duty Tow Package, Field Logic Graphics Aries Black Grille Guard Ionic Tonneau Cover
    In the future not a problem. Type "Tacoma Towing a Skid steer' into google images. The first pic (Purdy Lawn Service Truck) is my truck. Its a base model 2011 Tacoma with the 2TR (4 cylinder) It is 4wd and has the 5 speed manual tranny. Its rated to tow 3500lbs and the combined weight of the skidsteer was just shy of 10,000lbs. The truck actually did it pretty well. I have a brake controller so I was able to stop it well. I pulled it 20 miles at about 55mph in 4th gear. In this pic, truck is completely stock. So if you have the 4.0 V6, hell you could easily tow a skid steer. I also tow an enclosed lawn trailer with two z-trak mowers, one walk behind, a few trimmers and blowers weights 5000lbs. Keep in mind, my truck is the 4 cylinder. A V8 or a diesel may be faster, but I havent had an item the tacoma wouldnt tow. (If you do tow a skidsteer, drive smart because it is heavy) Happy towing!

2. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen to date. I have towed 5000 pounds with my 2005 4 cylinder and it barely gets going. I was recently moving a concession trailer (dual axle 13 inch wheels) and I couldn't get going up hill, the clutch was just sitting there roasting. I had to reverse back down the hill and get a better rolling start.

You could easily balance a Kubota KX-080 on a 3 axle trailer and hook it up to your truck and pull it 5 feet, does that mean you can "tow" it? But only a moron would attempt to tow something so heavy with no weight on the truck. The Tacoma (especially 4 cylinder) can't handle alot of that weight so that makes it a bad choice for the job.

Towing 10k with a fully equipped DCLB is dumb, doing what you're doing is just insane, and you're trying to convince people to do the same? I'm glad you don't live in my area so I don't have to drive anywhere near you.

3. Sep 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    ^ what he said

4. Sep 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    bpurdy

bpurdy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Duluth MN
    Vehicle:
    Heavy Duty Tow Package, Field Logic Graphics Aries Black Grille Guard Ionic Tonneau Cover
    Not endorsing it or anything, just saying it can be done. As far as your truck pulling 5000lbs, if your clutch is slipping, you need a new one. In duluth mn we have a ton a steep hills and towing my 5000lbs rig everyday I have never experienced slip. As far as the 10,000lbs goes, I would never do that every day, but 10-15miles a couple times a year on flat ground is doable. Not trying to start fights, just saying it can be done. If you dont have a brake controller, then yes, its stupid, but I drive slow, and I dont over push the truck (i know that sounds ironic) And I have been doing this for the last 60,000 miles with no accidents and no damage to the truck. Using your head is required to do this kind of work. Happy motoring!

5. Sep 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There's nothing wrong with my clutch chief. It has about 20k miles on it. The problem is that the truck is weak and if you're on a hill you can't drop it too quickly or you'll stall out because the engine doesn't have the torque. With some big weight literally pulling you back, if you do drop it too quickly and your wheels don't move and engine isn't quite stalling something has to give and that's the clutch.

"In the future not a problem" is your exact quote, sounds like you ARE endorsing it actually.

Toyota put a good tow capacity on it of 3500 pounds. I've pushed over that in very short distances mainly because I just wanted to see what the little truck could do.

Those are my experiences, but you can do what you want to do. Might be a good idea to quit while you're ahead because if you do cause an accident your auto and business insurance will leave you out in the cold when they find out you were pulling 6500 pounds over rated capacity.

Good luck.

6. Oct 1, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    bpurdy

bpurdy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Duluth MN
    Vehicle:
    In the UK, the Hilux (Tacoma equivalent) with the 2TR and a 5 speed is actually rated for 5000lbs. They dumb it down for americans who cant control heavy trailers. (this is information that I have actually clarified with my dealer as well. I have never had an incident where my trailer started pulling me back or where my clutch was out and I wasnt moving. As far as causing an accident, my daily 5000lbs trailer plants really well on the truck and with my inertia based brake controller, It stops faster then any other rig on the road. I stick with my tacoma because it can turn sharper then a full size tundra which make maneuvering a breeze.

Anyway thats just my take. If you dont feel safe with 5000-10,000lbs, dont do it, Im not forcing you.

Happy Motoring

Products Discussed in

To Top