1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about 4 Cylinder 4x4.. Your opinion needed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shawnmd, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dec 24, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 2.7 is the better engine if you don't need the power. ts cheaper to own in the long run, less moving parts to break, smoother/less vibration, better on fuel.

I have a 4.0L and its good, but I will be trading it on a 2.7L sooner than later.

And yeah, pillows in the back makes it comfortable enough. I know my 06 rear seats are about as bad as they came, they are at least a bit nicer on the newer ones. People always think they need the bigger truck with more power, more space etc, then they complain about fuel prices today and how much it costs to drive their big gas pig.

2. Dec 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    ^

And then they justify it by saying the 2.7L doesn't gett any better mpg anyway, which is false.

3. Dec 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    sportsguy

sportsguy searchgeek

Member:
    Buy it - I brought one home in October (4cyl, 5 spd, reg cab). Easily one of the best vehicles I've ever bought. You won't be disappointed,... unless your expectations are unrealistic.

For example: My "other" car is a BMW Z4 roadster, which is pretty quick. Trying to drive the Tacoma quickly just doesn't work. That said, I can keep up with all traffic, and if I wind it out, even stay ahead in most around-town cases.

I recently cut a corner too close in the Tacoma. Surprised the heck out of me when I hit the curb mid-way through my turn and was bounced up into the air. I might have even saw air under the back tire, too. The truck just shrugged it off and we kept driving with zero drama. Might have been going about 10 mph when I hit the curb, so the truck just handled it and kept going. Never skipped a beat....though something was beeping at me for a few seconds, probably trying to warn me something wasn't normal...LOL

I love this truck!

4. Dec 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    And then complain their 4.0L only gets 19mpg with 32" 10 ply tires and a lift.

People shrug off a few miles per gallon like its a small amount. In different terms, A 2.7L is nearly $20 dollars cheaper per tank of gas than my 4.0L. I'd save $600 a year, $600 is half of my insurance, a trip somewhere, all of the maintenance etc. If I would give up 4wd and get a 5 lug the savings would be even better than that, its tempting. I would miss the 4wd, but I could afford a decent ATV, or a newer dirt bike which the 5 lug can haul nicely, really I shouldn't be 4 wheeling/beating up my daily driver anyway.

5. Dec 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    FIRTH4X4

FIRTH4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    98 Taco 2.7L 5spd
    Youll like the traction control also. Now that the roads are iced up here in Idaho, I've had a chance to get a feel for it. I almost can't get it out of control even if I try, for such a small light rig it takes off from a dead stop with less tire spin then my fullsize V8 rigs.

6. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    ATweezy

ATweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 Red RC 4x4
    I was skeptical about the 2.7L as well, but I decided to get one anyways. I really like it, it has enough power/torque to haul what I need it to. Just moved from FL to AZ at the beginning of Dec. and kept up just fine running through mountains. I did have to go to 4th gear a few times when I drove through SoCal on my way to San Diego, but some of those mountains are pretty steep. All in all I'm satisfied and I like the mpg. I think you will too.

7. Dec 25, 2011 at 2:30 AM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Just a note
    The double cab is awesome just to have all the extra lockable, in cab storage space.. Generally I put most my stuff in the cab.. And on trips I can keep all valuables locked in cab and leave the less valuable things in the bed.
    And, on dirt bike trips I fill the 6foot bed and the back seat with stuff.. Leaving the driver and passenger seats wide open. The ack seat is also very comfortable.

8. Dec 25, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    Toyotaguy

Toyotaguy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Sockmonkey decals - cold air intake - tanneau - window vent - bug shield - seat covers - yellow fogs - fog anytime mod
    You are going to want the 6 and with people in the back, get the double cab. I have an access cab and its not very roomy in the back. I have had people back there, for short trips its ok but even then one needs to kick their legs across the seats. This reason I might go for a double cab myself if we have a family. My only problem then is Toyota doesnt offer the Off Road pkg with the 6' bed in double cab, only a 5' bed. I would have to get the sport pkg to keep the long bed. (not crazy about the hood scoop and would miss the locking diff).

Products Discussed in

To Top