1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about another Prerunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by miket, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    miket

miket [OP] Member

Member:
    Eastern N.C.
    Leer Camper Shell
    I bought a 01 Tacoma 2wd xcab 3 yr ago, with a 4 cyl. its has 113k on the clock. Its my daily driver and will drive anywhere no madder how far it is. I've never owned a vehicle this dependable, I'm interested in Prerunner extra cab. My truck is a 5spd and i would like a automatic, with the prerunner I would get more ground clearance and a few more power options. Someone tell me why i need to keep my very solid running truck.

Thinking about upgrading to a Pre-Runner

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    I don't know about you man, but i have a very hard time giving up a vehicle that is in good condition. You've only had this truck for three years. That's nothing compared to how long it could last you. Honestly depending on what options you are looking for, you could add them to your current truck for much less money.

Remember, every time you trade vehicles you lose money.

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 RC | 4x4 | 2.7 | 5 speed
    A prerunner will be more expensive and depending on what options you are looking for, you could get one with the same motor as your current truck. Depending on if you purchased your truck at a premium, you most likely wont lose too much money, if any money at all by selling your current truck. The V6's are also very reliable with only a few big dollar maintenance items to consider (timing belt / water pump). You wont get as good of gas mileage with the prerunner though, so keep that in consideration.

Another option would be for you to spend about $1,500 to get a lift, rims and tires for your current truck. But if you dont want an a manual and want some other power options, I would just sell it and find the truck you want.

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    FJ Cruiser 07'
    Bilstein 5100 (2.5") aFe short ram intake KC light bar PIAA halogen Lights Hella Lights on top Yakima Load Warrior
  5. Mar 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    :notsure: why get rid of a pre-runner for another one??? or am i missing something?

6. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I think he has a 5 lugger... Like me :)

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    :eek: didnt think about that!

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    02YotaGuy

02YotaGuy NERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma, 4 Door, 4X4 & 2001 F-250 SuperDuty 7.3 Crew Cab
    Upgrade to 4X4... Just my personal suggestion.

9. Mar 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    FJ Cruiser 07'
    Bilstein 5100 (2.5") aFe short ram intake KC light bar PIAA halogen Lights Hella Lights on top Yakima Load Warrior
    wish i could upgrade

sometimes

10. Mar 12, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    miket

miket [OP] Member

Member:
    Eastern N.C.
    Leer Camper Shell
    My heading is a little confusing i realized it after i made the post. I have a five lug and would like to upgrade to a prerunner. I like the higher ground clearance, v6, power windows, mirrors. I have a color match Leer camper shell, and i could buy the same color truck and transfer the camper shell.

I think for now with gas at $3.50 plus a gal. and i will lose a few mpg with prerunner. I will keep my truck, its hard to sell a truck thats paid for and have to put money with it to buy another one.

I think if i could lift my truck and put on some bigger tires and rims to give me the look of a prerunner that my be the ticket. If anyone has done this could you post some pictures and post the links. Thanks for everyone help and suggestions.

11. Mar 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    It's harder to find stuff for five luggers, but if you use the search fonctio. On this forum you can find a lot of good info about ways to get what you desire. I would help w/ the search but it is a pain to search on my phone.

12. Mar 13, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Just hit up the 5 Lugger section, i know ive seen a few threads about lifting 5 lug tacos.

13. Mar 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    Just keep yours and lift it if you want the higher stance... Countless people have ridiculed me for lifting my "baby truck"... "What's the point, it's 2wd?" "Get a real truck with a V8 and 4x4" I just say it's not what you buy, it's what you build. Our trucks are essentially the same, so you could copy my setup if you wanted to. It was about $1000 completed, with shackles, spindles, wheels, tires, and shocks.

Here's the thread on it if you're interested
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/120741-finally-ready-lift.html

To Top