1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about dropping out...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by derekabraham, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    ligero18

ligero18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    As a vet I can tell you that I wouldn't rush into the decision either but knowing your situation (having been there) it is definitly a good option. The reason I say Air force is they are a little less strict and generally have less dangerous jobs, unless that's what you want.

Whatever you decide good luck to you.

Oh and you CAN get a good paying job out of the military, I make more than anybody I know with a degree. Not bragging just saying don't put too much emphasis on it.

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

I may not let you in, but you can always sleep on my porch. ;)

J/K. :D

3. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    skilled workers can make bank here too. i work at a wind turbine plant the the shop workers here make good money. really good money. and i'd say most of them dont have anything but a hs diploma

I agree. all a degree is is a key to the door. it says "hey, i'm smart enough to go to class, and learn, and pass a few tests so i should be smart enough to learn whatever i need for this job i'm applying for". very few graduate college with the know how to do what is required of them, but that diploma just says you dont give up and are at least partially intelligent. same for a background in the military. if you have served 4 years in the military thats saying your smart enough to learn and determined enough not to give up. same basic thing.

can you fly in the air force if you dont have a degree? for some reason i was thinking you had to have a certain level of education to become a pilot. can someone confirm that?

4. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    I got a couch... wait his offer is better haha

5. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Depends.... is there a bed in it or is it just an empty room!?:eek:

6. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    MsTRD

MsTRD hell yes i love my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Samantha
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Sport
    i've got a nice set of $6k leather couches you can sleep on :)

7. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm pretty sure that you must have a college degree to get 95% of armed forces commissions. There are very few exceptions to that rule...Some specialties can get you an officer slot, but not many- and you have to be pretty good.

My AF buddy just confirmed that you can not get an officer slot in the AF without a degree. I know that very few Coast Guard officers get commissions without degrees. The other question is future promotabilty...but that's a different discussion.

Derek- I recommend a college degree AND the military...If you have to choose...I would go with the degree for now and then join. Officer pay is better and I find the work fairly rewarding. If you REALLY hate school and want to go to the military- Just remember it's a 4-6 year commitment before you get to change your mind again...

8. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Too bad i think Sami won....^^^

9. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Other Pros: Discipline, Internal Strength, Having an Understanding of Knowing what you would be willing to Put Your Life on the Line For and Potentially Purpose

10. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    MsTRD

MsTRD hell yes i love my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Samantha
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Sport
    psh i always win :D

11. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Can I spend some time in your dog house or is that taken? :eek:

12. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thats not true, he can get out whenever he wants. just try to set the most expensive plane on the base on fire and see how long it takes to get out of the service. then you just have to figure out how to get out of jail or the brig or wherever they send you

after i graduated clemson i considered the airforce cause i thought flying woudl be cool and i heard being an officer in the AF is one of the cushiest jobs in the world

13. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    Derek, you should really stay in school. school and me didn't agree at all. getting your degree will open many more doors of opportunity in this economy than not having one. i beg you not to drop out. more often than not, people who drop out never go back. keep that head up D!

14. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

Yeah...He certainly could try that route. I wouldn't call that "getting out" so much as "ruining your life"

I can't think of ANY military job that's "cushy" but that is a subjective word. I think cushy and I think making a decision of two max per day...Tons of money and what not. Any officer job that I've seen is NOT that. AF and CG are probably the best organizations about caring for their people...Army Navy and Marines all have their high and low points...I'm uber happy with my gig...

15. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

I didn't have fun in College, but it really opened my eyes to the world. I had my heart fucking crushed in College. No word of lie. The chick I was dating broke it off for no reason what so ever, The old "It's me not you blah blah blah" and 4 months later she was with a dumbass that I've never liked since grade school.

Anyways, it's helped shape me into the hardassed prick I am today, however, it also helped me to knuckle through the deep shit.

Which, quite honestly you're just going to have to do in the military anyways, so you might as well get used to it now. You can join the military any time, they're always hurting for people, it's not so easy to get into College.

You're already in there, stick with it for now.

We're here for ya buddy!

16. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

17. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Derek, collage is not for everybody. My oldest son breezed through and graduated with honors. My youngest struggled horribly, ADHD, he just could not sit still long enough. He quit collage, picked up all of his Microsoft certificates and now he is making a ton of money on something that is a natural to him, computers.
    What do you want to do with your life, use this time now wisely to set your carrier path. Try to find something that is a passion for you that you can do for a living. I wish I would have found photography when I was your age.
    The Armed forces might be a good choice, it won't be easy, just ask around. Just remember the millatary will be a commitment that you can't just walk away from.

18. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    tomato tomato (that saying really loses all meaning when you see it written doesn't it?)

well i guess when i say cushy i mean compared to other jobs. i dont consider any job cushy i guess. i always laugh at those emails that compare the branches and the marines have to wake up in shit and eat dirt for breakfast and then the AF officer has to choose between french roast or flavored coffee and is unable to go back for thirds because they are out of fresh eggs and bacon.

yeah, i got my heart crushed in college too. but still wouldn't trade it for anything

19. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    good point. one of my room mates was a computer science major and got a 4 year degree in it. after graduating it took him a year to find a job (this was way before the economy tanked). they kept telling him they were looking for experience. they said if he had a 2 year degree in a computer related field and 2 years experience they'd hire him in a heartbeat. but a 4 year degree with no experience was useless to him. college really isn't always the best choice for everyone or every field. even with college experience is MANDATORY

20. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    danb86

danb86 East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    Do NOT join the military b/c your "girlfriend dumped you, you've got no money, and you need to get out of the house".

NONE of those are valid reasons for going into the military.

There's another thread here somewhere on the topic of which ex-military person gets more respect: the one who saw combat duty or the one in the support role.

Understand that if you join the military there's a very real chance you might be getting shot at or you might be shooting at someone. You might get killed.

If you do NOT have the conviction of your beliefs in regard to "America's mission" in any of the theaters of combat, do you really want to put your life on the line for the reasons you stated?

There are ALWAYS options. Necessity is the MOTHER of invention.

Need to get out of the house? Stay on someone's couch.

Need money? Wash dishes, bartend, wait tables, do landscaping.

No jobs where you are? Borrow $1,000 from a good friend and MOVE your ass, soldier.

Broke up with girlfriend? Sorry about that, but the reality is that there's ALWAYS someone for EVERYONE. Even ugly, fat, selfish, alcoholic people find people.

Feeling down about yourself? Learn to work constructively through it, as it's not going to be the last time in your life. If you learn that lesson now, you'll always believe in yourself.

But for God's sake, don't put yourself in the position of possibly being blown up by an IED or ambushed UNLESS YOU BELIEVE YOUR LIFE IS WORTH THE SACRIFICE.

Good luck and understand you're not the only one to have gone through tough times.

Products Discussed in

To Top