1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about getting a travel trailers or toy hauler

Discussion in 'Towing' started by trib, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do a lot of tent camping out of my taco (and recently my tundra). I just got back from a 2 week camping trip in Montana which was just incredible. I always tent-camp, which means loading up the bed of my truck with tons of camp gear--camp kitchen, chairs, ice chests, mountain bikes, etc, and having my truck sag to the bump stops.

Lately I've been thinking about possibly getting a travel trailer or a toy hauler. I don't really know the first thing about trailers or towing. I like the idea of toy haulers because they have a rear folding door for loading/unloading. I also like the idea of having a shower/toilet available instead of having to use the state park or gas station.

If you were to get a new trailer, what size and make would you get? What amenities or features of your toy hauler could you not live without?

Lastly, what kind of mpg do you get towing vs. regular highway? I figure can use either my taco or tundra to tow a moderate size trailer, but I'm wondering if I would get better mpg with the taco. How much can the tacoma tow in elevation (~5,000-8,000ft) before it starts struggling?

DSCF1627.jpg

2. Aug 19, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    sick tundra!

3. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    I get 10 mpg towing a 4000# travel trailer. You would be able to tow a small toy hauler with both, but the Tundra has a larger tank and you wouldn't have to stop as much to fill-up. You can get a Prodigy brake controller and switch it between vehicles. Look on e-trailer.com or campingworld.com for prices.

4. Aug 21, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the compliment schiz.

So I read the towing bible. Wow, thanks Maverick. Now I know I need a WDH, a brake controller, and to do some wiring in my trucks.

Ideally I'd like to get a trailer that is light enough to be pulled with both trucks. Perhaps light duty (easy roads, eg. desert, local state parks) with the taco and when in mountainous regions (high elevation and steep grades) I'll use the tundra.

Although, at 10mpg in the v6 taco, I think my tundra would probably do a little better at 4000lb...more low end torque and 4.30 gearing vs. 3.73 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) in the taco.

BTW nice truck black dc.

5. Aug 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    It is a tough decision between the toy hauler and the travel trailer they are both nice and have there pluses and minuses. You get the more home feeling in a travel trailer but obviouly you cant put any motorized vehicles in the travel trailer as you can with a toy hauler. You can find light travel trailers and toy haulers. If you are strickly talking mountain bikes and that is what your future says as well I would get the travel trailer. You can throw your mountain bikes in the bed of the truck or even laying down in the camper itself. If you are concerned about MPG take a look at a nice pop-up you can get AC, Shower and Toilet in them and they are lighter and lower so your MPG will go up. Buy used whatever you do and negotiate as they are marked up unbelievably high. Just take a look around and do your homework. You will see dealers selling a new camper that msrp for 16500 for 10500. Good luck. Ive gotten rid of all my diff campers and am now in the market as well, Ive had it with the tent camping, dare I admitt Im getting to old for hard ground and air mattresses that loose air half way thru the nite.

6. Aug 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    toytacoma22

toytacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    COS
    3" Icon Lift, TC UCA, OME Dakars, Allpro front and rear bumpers.
    If your a tent camper I personally like jumping jack trailers (http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/). I am probably going to get one next summer so I can put up a tent really quick and I can carry my ATV while leaving the bed of the truck open for the dogs. I currently have a HiLo trailer that weighs 5,000 when fully loaded. It is a nice trailer but having the ability to bring the ATV along also is really nice.

7. Aug 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    checkout the flagstaff 282xrt I think, there is also a Rockwood 282, you will really dig those especially with your atvs you have, thing is phenominal, a bit pricey but amazing

8. Aug 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    toytacoma22

toytacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    COS
    3" Icon Lift, TC UCA, OME Dakars, Allpro front and rear bumpers.
    Ya, those are nice but I like the Jumping Jack for the price. Just something to pull up the mountains and have more of a tent camping feel.

Products Discussed in

To Top