1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking about satellite radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by beastlytaco, May 9, 2009.

1. May 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    Well, its come to the decision of satellite radio in the Tacoma. Ive heard alot about sirius Radio and all the chanels they have. My question is, should I go with a Headunit that will incorporate Sirius, or should I buy a seperate unit for satellite radio.Im kinda new to the concept of Sirius and would apreciate any advice

2. May 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    I have the Pioneer F90BT head unit in my Tacoma... After they released the new firmware this unit has started to finally be as good as advertised. Nav, Sat, Bluetooth, DVD player... all for $500.00 bucks. Worth every penny

3. May 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    how about reception? Is it better witha headunit or the actual unit from sirius?

4. May 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    my g/f sister has the sirius unit that had to be custom mounted, you have to use that unit and not the radio and you have 2 different volume controls but its crystal clear
    i have a pioneer dvd player that has a 100 dollar unit that i can add to use sirius through my HU. the aftermarket HU's offer alot of adjustment

5. May 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    so I would be better off with getting a seperate HU then getting the antenna for Sirius?

6. May 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    it all depends on how much u wanna spend and are you happy with your current sound

7. May 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    cjag

cjag Active Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFF Road 4x4
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2537226
    IMO, the seperate Sirus units are much more detailed when searching and displaying your music. The all in one solutions (which I have tired) are a compromise. Hope this helps you.

8. May 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I had XM.. and only listened to 4 stations ona regualr basis.. and then the other 2 was for sports.. which was maybe once a week.. i say Pass.. get an Ipod.. and make playlist

9. May 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well, I mean, i thought it would be nice to get to hear races live insted of being broadcasted through the regular FM radio. If I choose to go through the seperate unit for Sirius, which one should I purchase? they have several, but which one works the Best?

10. May 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I have had sat radio for over 4 years now, and since installing it I have literally not listed to "regular" radio since.

Here's a pic of the radio install in my 08 DC. The Sirius unit is hard wired to the HU using the AUX jack on the back of the HU. Most newer HU's have those now. Back a few years ago when I purchased this HU it was not a common feature. I like this setup because I also have the boom box and can listen to Sirius Radio in my office at work. The mounting bracket and hard wire kit cost me about $75 and I did the install myself. It's very easy.:

_MG_9844_68a93d0b2c0595f2ceb936562775b39e15083467.jpg

_MG_9837_d3d71e2cb988b426a80eb3faa132e20b969be8c3.jpg

_MG_9847_da8cd3e44a15ab922cca0186c5897718f8f36300.jpg

_MG_9839_6d8b55b072126fbe1028023265fdba1aa94f0f97.jpg

11. May 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I have factory installed satelite in my Mazdaspeed 6 and absolutely love it. The only time I loose reception is when i go under a large overhang or into a garage. When I got my Tacoma I looked at installing satalite into it. After many many hours of reseach I found out a couple of things.

It all depends on what you want and what kind of stereo you already have installed in it. If you want to use the OEM satelite receiver it will set you back about $215 and some change but you must have the JBL head unit installed but you dont have to anything else. You will be able to control the satelite from the head unit and the steering wheel controls if you have it.

There is another option where you can get an aftermarket kit that is plug and play but you will still need to purchase the control unit. You will be able to control the satelite from your head unit. It esentially takes over one of the buttons on the head unit. The one that I found will allow you to plug in auxillery stuff into it as well for $89.00.b This will work with any of the head units out there.
    http://search.beachaudio.com/search?p=Q&ts=mv2&wc=&w=duel+input+interface+for+2005-2008+toyota

The other option is to just buy a satelite control box that uses an FM modulator to send the signal to an empty channel on your stereo and you control everything through the satelite controler. One word of advice, I live in Central Texas and there are so many radio stations that I cant get an empty one to use the modulator. They have a device that plugs into the antenae plug on your head unit then you plug the vehicle one into that. I suggest going this route so that your signal comes in crystal clear. I am not sure of where to get this but I know that JCWhitney sales them. They are pretty easy to find.

As far as what satelite controler to get. If you want all of the options out there look at getting one that is both XM and sirius. The companies have merged and are now starting to produce units that will get both services for the same amount of money. I pay about $189 for 18 months of service. The more months you buy the cheaper it gets. At the time I got my service that was the best deal.

If you want to go the OEM controller route and dont have a JBL head unit, I have one that I am trying to sale, it was the wrong color. I will let it go for $80 plus $12 for shipping.. Sorry no pictures yet.

[​IMG]

12. May 10, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I installed my Sirius myself. It's in the cubby in front of the cupholder. I hardwired the power & installed a USA SPEC adapter to hardwire the input into the factory HU. I hated the static on the FM modulator.

13. May 10, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    you know guys, this is really helpful. I really Appreciate all of y'alls responses

14. May 10, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I've had both XM and Sirius.
    I liked them both, but like someone else said, I listened to only a handful of channels. For me it was clutch to catch whatever type of news/sports I wanted. I didn't use the music channels much because I have a nice iPod setup and lots of organized music. I don't watch TV that much, so I miss big news sometimes, satellite lets me catchup on pretty much any information whenever I want..

This time, I'm trying HD radio. This also required external device which I installed behind glovebox. HD Radio is "ok". It's just a radio upgrade, txt titles/station info and very very clear sound on hd broadcasts. Also nice is no monthly fee.

If I had a gun to my head right now, and had to choose between satellite and HD radio, i'd select satellite. However, I really don't miss it too much right now because my HU can do so much. IE movies & music.

Personally, I would never buy a satellite gadget that I had to mount on my dash.
    I don't like the look of it, and do not want something I "sometimes use" always sitting in my face or taking up space in the cubby holes..
    I typically buy satellite radio "ready" receivers and buy the device that lets the HU control it.

Not sure how much you will use it.
    If it's not ALL THE TIME, then simply program a handful of your key stations. Then you don't have a gadget in your face, it's hidden, and you can still quickly find your programmed favorites.

depends on what features are most important to you and how you think you will use the device :)
    My hunch tells me you'll use about 5 stations... At first maybe more as you explore, but the novelty will wear off.

15. May 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I have just used the separate SAT radio controller (XM Roady2). I did this because I wasn't sure what I wanted/needed out of SAT radio for me to like it. I found out I don't listen to regular radio much anymore. Great on trips!

I will be getting a HU this time around that will allow me to get rid of the outboard controller.

Could be persuaded into selling my roady2 to you so you can get into the SAT radio on the cheap to find out if you like it or not. PM me if interested.

16. May 11, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    :laugh: :EEK: Thats where I installed mine. mounted it inside of the cubby in front(or behind---Anyway you want to think of it) the cupholders

17. Jul 7, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    mtlheadhntr

mtlheadhntr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Live in South GA / From Milwaukee, WI (WI boy at h
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver TRD Offroad 4x4 SR5
    3" Suspension lift; 884 OME front coils w/ 2" ALCAN AAL, General Grabber AT2s 265/75-16, Black powdercoated nerf bars, Black UWS low profile tool box, Blacked out badges, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, Sockmonkey bedside decal, Keyed hose clamp tailgate mod, 15% tinted windows in front and blacked out in the rear, Weathertech digital fit liners front and back, Wet Okole seat covers, Sirius Starmate 5, and this week will be the BHLM and paint wheels Black!
    Can you use the hardwire kit with a 2005 since the OEM radio does not have the AUX port setting?

18. Jul 7, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I always had a aftermarket deck and installed a Sirius tuner box and routed the antenna via 3rd brake light. Much cleaner and all the controls is on my deck as well as the display.

19. Jul 7, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Amen to that!!
    My husband has XM and he only pays like $70 a year for it (some promotional deal he got when he first signed up). Every year when his renewal is up, he refuses to pay their regular rates and is more than willing to drop it. They always end up kissing his ass before they go through dropping him. He's been paying $70 for years.

He said it ain't worth paying anymore than that for it.

I personally have my ipod in the truck.

20. Jul 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    mtlheadhntr

mtlheadhntr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Live in South GA / From Milwaukee, WI (WI boy at h
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver TRD Offroad 4x4 SR5
    3" Suspension lift; 884 OME front coils w/ 2" ALCAN AAL, General Grabber AT2s 265/75-16, Black powdercoated nerf bars, Black UWS low profile tool box, Blacked out badges, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, Sockmonkey bedside decal, Keyed hose clamp tailgate mod, 15% tinted windows in front and blacked out in the rear, Weathertech digital fit liners front and back, Wet Okole seat covers, Sirius Starmate 5, and this week will be the BHLM and paint wheels Black!
    Im talking about a stock OEM headunit, not aftermarket.

Products Discussed in

To Top