1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about shipping a Gen 1 from WA to TX.. Need advice

Discussion in 'North West' started by ksluna, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    ksluna

ksluna [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I'll start off by saying I used to have a '15 TRD Sport and regret selling it... I'm looking to get into a gen 1 this time around, but all the ones that fit my requirements (4x4, <100,000 miles) in TX are beat to hell..

I've seen two tacos in WA that caught my interest. I wanted to know if cars in the PNW are typically prone to rust? I know the gen 1s had big rust issues.

I've checked both the carfaxs, the 2002 spent its life in El Paso, TX (Close to Mexico border) and the 2004 spent its whole life in Colorado, and from what I understand Colorado is somehow known to be a safe bet for cars that are rust-free.

Also, shot in the dark here, but if anyone could point me to a shop in WA that could do a PPI? I don't mind paying the $600 to ship the right truck, just would not want to fly out there and notice it's not something I would approve of.

Here are the two trucks in question:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/704659020/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/703462537/overview/

Also, if any of you shopped at this dealership and had any insight that would be appreciated. They seem to have good reviews online.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Just my personal opinion I probably wouldn't do it. I had a 2001 before my current 2013 Tacoma. I loved my 01 but couldn't imagine going back to it after driving my 13 for 4.5 years now. The little extra room, better ride, looks, etc make a difference. Since you say you regret selling your 2nd gen why wouldn't you just get another?

irish_11 likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    ksluna

ksluna [OP] Member

Member:
    I see your point. I guess I should say I regret selling my tacoma in general. I've always wanted a first gen. I decided to get a 2nd gen because it was newer at the time but even when driving it I still admired the 1st gens. Something about them - not sure. I don't need the extra room and like the smaller size of the 1st gens.

Plus if I were to get a 2nd gen I might as well just cough up the extra $$$ and get a new 3rd gen

4. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Not typically. They generally don't use salt on the roads here since the fish lickers say it hurts the salmon. The winters are fairly mild here so only in extreme conditions will they apply salt to the roads. My 06 has very minor surface rust, but nothing major. I got a clean bill of health for my truck when I took it in for the frame recall. It's been a PNW truck it's whole life. Rust isn't a big issue here IMO.

The Trucks you posted are rediculously priced. Me personally I wouldn't pay more than $12k for either of them. Not to say they're terrible, but I paid less than what they're asking for my 06 DCSB OR, although it had 140k on it. I don't have any info on the dealer themselves but seem to be a small lot, not your typical brand dealer and probably picked those trucks up at auction. There's a couple of auctioneers in the general area near that dealer. For a PPI, your best bet is a local Toyota dealer as they would probably have the most knowledge in finding problems or defects.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:37 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Holy Crap!!:eek: No way I'd pay that much for either truck.

6. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    It is the PNW, something in the Toyota koolaid here that makes people think they can fund their retirement on Toyotas. :notsure:

7. Jun 16, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    ksluna

ksluna [OP] Member

Member:
    Can I ask what you would pay for them? Even nationally trucks that are in the 10K ballpark have at least a hundred thousand miles more and are not in this shape

8. Jun 16, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Honestly, in the end, you're the one that will be able to rationalize the price since like you said,these trucks are few and far between with the sub 100k mileage. I punched some numbers and kbb which is usually on the low end suggests $14k as a dealer price in good condition. If you can get that 2004 for $14k and you're happy, go for it. You've seen the Carfax? If so use your best judgement and see how long those trucks have been on their lot. You can usually negotiate more if the trucks have been on their lot for some time.

Products Discussed in

To Top