1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about the Air Force.

Discussion in 'Military' started by Greensystemsgo, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    I feel as both a mechanically inclined, and technologically inclined person this could be a good decision when my current temporary employment ends.

Currently I deal with the mechanics behind building and QC of the worlds largest solar plant, will this current experience help me any?

I have aortic stenosis, basically a valve instead of being like a pie cut into three pieces, is like 2 pieces. However the cardiologist has given me NO restrictions.

And my eye, id say 50% vision? Congetital cataract. Glasses correct this mostly. I have NO intention of even trying to fly, strictly technology based goals.

I have completed schooling for a 2yr associate of arts degree, but not yet filed for graduation. Will this degree do anything for me?

ASVAB tips/tricks facts?

As for everything else, my dad was in for 23 years, and while both of my parents are hesitent, they are supportive.

Your thoughts?

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    Any cardiac issues are going to be a waving red flag to the recruiter; they do not want the recruit dropping dead in boot camp (happens every year).

What is your vision tested to? 20/100? That's another thing they will look close at, especially as a tech. You gotta be able to see what your working on...

IF (and that's a BIIIIG if) they clear you for service, it will be after a battery of cardiac stress tests.

3. Jun 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Thankyou folks! Hopefully both will be cleared, the heart thing like id metioned was cleared with no restrictions by a cardioligist, but weather or not he intended me for military clearance, who knows. as for the eyes, :(.

ill contact a recruiter and at the minimum see what tests and stuff. Ive been a LIGHT smoker, (a pack a week) on and off for the last two months, and the same for a year about two years ago. time to quit, and get back into highschool cross country shape!

4. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Only the military can "clear" you for duty. Honestly, with your multiple issues, I think you would be hard pressed to see positive results, especially in these days of cutbacks.

5. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    I say that if you are really interested in it, then it won't hurt to try. I mean it's not like you'd have anything to lose. I enlisted March of last year, went to MEPS June of last year, and now I leave for basic July 10th, and I just graduated from high school. I'm very excited, and with all the benefits you are given, I don't understand why more people don't join.

6. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    RyanLikesTacos

RyanLikesTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Charlotte, NC
    Give it a shot.

The cardiac issues could be a red flag. However, a good clean bill of health has to mean something. Military physicals are a funny thing... You don't want to disclose too much, as you can DQ for all kinds of stuff, but there is a waiver for just about everything. Even when I wasn't getting a flight physical, I (and most of my buddies) disclose very little. Even certain medications that are fairly routine for civilians will keep you from not just flying but even turning wrenches and operating machinery.

With that said, what you disclose is completely up to you. If I was unemployed and had to support my family and wanted to serve, I wouldn't LIE but I might be my own advocate and not say a lot. Some things you can't hide, like your eye sight, but something like "I think I had asthma as a kid but I don't really remember" is something not worth mentioning. Get what I'm saying?

A two year associates will help when enlisting. When I enlisted in 2000, a two year degree got you two stripes out of boot camp (Airman First Class). Its not much but its definitely better than being a slick sleeve.

Joining the guard or reserve is definitely an option as well. Where are you located? You could be a weekend warrior and get paid to go to school if you're so inclined.

Best of luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top