1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about trading the Access cab for regular cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xxaarraa, May 17, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    whatever YOU think looks best is what you should do. I personally would love to have a double cab ...i just could not afford it. A reg cab, it just seems so small with no room to put the seat back...But do what you like and you will be happy:D

2. May 17, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I've done 4 trips between 10-13 hours of straight driving with my regular cab, bench seat, 5 speed (without cruise control). It's not bad. :D

3. May 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Personally, I like the regular cab. Nice 6' bed and the whole package is very nimble. Shorter turning radius than either the family mini van or the sedan. It had plenty of power till I lifted it and put on really heavy wheels and tires. Now, as far as acceleration goes, it's a bit more ponderous.

But, naturally, there are also a couple of things to grouse about.

The bench seat on the regular cab sucks. There's no other way to put it. I didn't expect to have a problem with it because I've been happy with other bench seats in the past. And the squishy soft bench was fine for the test drive. But as the hours added up I realized the combination of no support, too soft foam, and decorative wires in the bench were just terrible. Check my sig for how I addressed the problem.

If you've got a TRD Offroad and want the locker - well you'll need to figure out how to add that yourself. You don't mention that so I assume you're SR5.

Transmission: On other threads, folks grouse about the big gap between 1 and 2 on the 5 speed. I hardly notice, and it certainly doesn't bug me.

Money/Depreciation: Main thing is you're taking that "new car depreciation" twice in a row. 1st 2 years on the 2009, then again on the 2011.

You probably won't be happy with the stock tires unless you stick to the pavement. You can't fault them for soft ride, quiet, good gas mileage. Traction and durability, not so much.

Once I put on the tonneau cover, I stopped missing having any in-cab indoor space behind the seats. Stuff in the back stays pretty much dry and out of sight.

4. May 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    dude, I say go for the reg cab, its awesome, light, easy to drive. its no luxury car by any means but no truck should have alot of luxuries anyways. im happy with my reg cab, and i think they hold their value just as well, there are ALOT of people out there who want them, just think of all the old guys who just drive their trucks to get cow shit, and mulch, THEYRE ALL driving reg cab tacos now that gas prices suck! plus i think they look the best lifted. heres a pic of mine. but....... up to you!

taco1.jpg
    taco2.jpg

5. May 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    ^This.

6. May 17, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    make the swap.

resale will be fine. i was at the dealer the other day and the salesman couldn't believe my truck was a 4x2... but anyways he said its extremely hard to get reg cabs in stock..and when my bro bought his yaris the salesman kept trying to get me to trade in my taco said he could sell it in two days flat:eek:

7. May 18, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I already have an S.O, dog, no kid though :)

They definitely won't fit in the standard cab (my dog is 90 lbs and my S.O is 120 lbs :)). But I do have a car that I could take when going places with the whole crew, so I am thinking how bad can it be?

Thanks for all the opinions. I will see what the dealer comes back with as far as numbers go. I also have about $2.5k worth of extras on my Access Cab (step bars, tonneau, satoshi, stereo, bed mat, d-rings, wheel/tire package etc.) that I will be transferring over entirely to the new truck.

I will keep you guys posted.

8. May 18, 2011 at 2:39 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Love the Reg cab. PLENTY of room. My 6'8" dad was able to make a 2 hr ride in my reg cab and didn't complain, and that was without the bench seat moved all the way back.

9. May 18, 2011 at 3:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I hate these threads, lol. I've been caught up in this and was considering swapping my ac prerunner for a 4x4 reg cab with buckets but the hassle of swapping all my stuff over and dealer fucking around acting like it is some major deal to even get a pyrite reg cab 4x4 2.7l 5 speed with buckets and slider. Can't make up my mind about giving up the cab space, having a monthly note, the mpg not being much different so I just didn't do anything about it but the nagging desire hasn't faded. Thanks for stirring it up some more, now off to a different dealership to see if they want to sell something...............:D

10. May 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    Interesting you say that. I thought there would be atleast a 4 mpg difference between the access V6 and reg I4? Over 16k miles, I have consistently been getting 16-17 mpg on mine, with 80% highway miles.

Wouldn't the reg 4x4 get at least 21 in real world conditions????

11. May 18, 2011 at 3:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Probably not with my tire/wheel combo and lift. Getting 18-19 now with ac 2.7 5 speed with 32x11x18s. Not thinking the 4wd reg cab 5 speed with my setup would do much different.

12. May 18, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    burnseason

burnseason TENNESSEE VOL

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Khost, Afghanistan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport double cab long bed 4x4
    none
    if you are thinking about it, you will do it. so i say do what makes YOU happy. i had a regular cab for years and i never had a single problem out of it. however, there were countless days where i wished i had a back seat to store shit in or just have more space. but the new reg cabs look like mean trucks, i will give u that. if you trade, post pictures!

13. May 18, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Don't get the Regular cab with an Auto. Other than that, I love my truck. I am 6'3" and I move the seat forward and put the seat up-right, there is plenty of leg room.

14. May 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Buckets or bench? I wasn't overly impressed with leg room in the one I test drove with a bench all the way back & I'm just 6'. I was wondering if the buckets offered a bit more leg room somehow just because of the difference between the 2. Maybe they were thinner somehow and could go back more than the bench and also the back being movable vs. the bench not having lean adjustment. Can't find any like that at dealers around here to try. They also were acting like it would be automatic only thing, no 5 speed.

15. May 18, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I am not sure about Prerunners and base models, but I am pretty sure most 4x4s are manual trans. I have bucket seats, I would not of bought my truck with a bench.

I would keep looking, auto trans is not the only option.

16. May 18, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Are the buckets the same as the non-airbag ones in my base model access cab? That would be nice so I could keep my wet okole front covers.

17. May 18, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I haven't looked at the new Regular cabs to know for sure.

18. May 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    That's why you want the automatic.

Steve

19. May 18, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The build site shows tranny available but no buckets. Bench = no go for me. I want 4x4 reg cab with center console and buckets, 5 speed, 2.7l, sliding rr window, color kind of optional, new vs. used is even optional. What year reg cab 4x4 can I get with all those things?

20. May 18, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    I actually want the bench seats. I am only 5 feet 5, so leg room is a moot point for me. I regularly sleep in the truck when I go winter camping so being able to stretch out on the bench would be a huge plus compared to the airplane like sleeping in the access cab buckets. Also, the bench would be good for the dog to put its nose/face somewhere too, when he is in the front of the taco, he seems very uncomfortable sitting up on the seat as opposed to laying down. Also, I would like to move 3 people on short trips to/from airport when my folks visit etc. Having buckets removes that option altogether.

I am sure the bench would be less comfortable though, I agree with that. I had a ford ranger regular cab with bench seats and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as the taco buckets. I would also miss the huge flatbed platform I made for the dog in the back of my access - that's way more room than he needs even for a 90 lb dog and he sleeps comfortably on trips.

Folks with the regular cab auto, is it a column shifter or floor shifter? I would love a column shifter, it frees up room on the floor for a small box/storage unit. Anyone know if a reg cab can be ordered with the "convenience package"? I really want power windows and door locks, I just would hate to go back to windy windy walk around and locky.

Products Discussed in

To Top