1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking joining the Police after 14 years in the US Army.

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by dommo, May 14, 2013.

1. May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    dommo

dommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    Hello,

I am going to be getting out of the Army here shortly, and I have thrown around the idea of applying for the Houston PD after I get out. I was just hoping to hear some folks opinions about it. It certainly doesn't have to be my EXACT situation, regarding branch of service or Houston, etc...but for guys that have spent any decent amount of time in the Military and made the transition to LE, what are your thoughts? Would you do it again? Anything you would change or prepare for differently? Let me know what you have seen.

Thanks

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. May 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    I did a total of 9 yrs as a Navy Seabee. Sometimes I wish I would have stayed and finished, but I didn't want to uproot my family to make that happen. I love what I do now, and for me it was an easy transition. 14yrs is a lot to walk away from. Do 6 more in the reserves and get your retirement, then what ever you get from your L.E. career is icing on the cake. Good luck.

3. May 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    dommo

dommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    I hear what youre saying, trust me that youre not the first to say it, lol. And in a big way, you are right. However, when it comes down to it, staying the last 6-7 years just isn't worth it to me. Hell, I will have to pay my ex-wife a fair portion of that retirement check anyways, lol. But beyond that, it's just the lack of job satisfaction...so I'm ready to try something new.

4. May 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    dude you should stay in and get your retirement. like already mentioned 14 years is a lot to walk away from and start from zero. I hear what your saying though cause i used to get bored with jobs too. my add would kick in and I would move on. LE is a great cure for those with add. It's something different everyday. But dude 14 years, then start over?? you can join the P.D. anytime it will be there for you when you get out. Military is great LE training and you will use that everyday.

5. May 16, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    TallTacoma

TallTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    The Silver State
    Vehicle:
    Locally owned and operated!
    3" suspension lift (ToyTec coilovers and wheeler leafs), Yakima roof rack, ARE tonneau, K&N FIPK.
    I transitioned from the Army into LE in '04. I decided that I'd rather be a cop at home vs. being one in the middle east.

Be prepared to have everything you do criticized as a cop. You'll never be able to make everyone happy. You'll be doing your job more for the other officers rather than for the good of the community, just like you were fighting for you battle buddies in the same fox hole and not for our corrupt federal government. Your admin, judges, lawyers and the community will praise you one day and then light you on fire and push you in front of a bus the next.

Damn, I'm a Debbie Downer today. You'll make more money, get to sleep in your own bed every night, and continue to wear a uniform. I'd imagine TX is a good place to be a cop. Less liberal, progressive, demicunts to deal with. I would have a hard time throwing in the towel at 14 years like you are, though. So close to 20!

6. Jun 4, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 SR5/TRD Off Road
    too much to list
    Stay in. Be a cop in 6 years.

To Top