1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of getting a security system...Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CNEDEER, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER [OP] If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    So in this wonderful economy, there seems to be an ever so increasing amount of crime in the county in which I live. Even the "safe" areas, if you will, have been subject to numerous crimes of late. I keep a gun next to my bed at all times, but would like that added peace of mind of a security system.

Just wanted to see what your guys suggestions are regarding what company to go with? ADT? BRINKS? Anyone else?

Also, how much did it run you for the equipment and installation. As well as what your monthley service fee!

Thanks guys!

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    German Shepards, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls work really good. All trainable withouth those service fees and contracts. Girlfriend has a Pit Bull, no chance of any break in.

3. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Lol, well I do have a yellow lab...but she's friendly as hell. As of now, getting another dog is not an option. Or else I'd have a pitbull, german shepehered, and rottweiler :)

4. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I have an ADT system in the house. It's attached to a cellular system for just in case, plus that's easier than getting a phone line run in. Never had a problem with the service...I set the alarm one day when the roofers were here and they called me and asked about it. I've changed windows and doors in the house and they came out and get everything wired back up pretty good.

5. Nov 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    skammer

skammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5
    Exterior Stock. Interior, custom leather, Pioneer AVIC-920 head unit
    Alarm systems are great. But a few comments:

1. Have windows and doors hooked up. Don't have a glass break sensor. They are sometimes set off by thunder, which causes false alarms.

2. Go with a local company by reference. Much more honest, and personable. Don't go with a large national chain which give you the system for free/cheap, in exchange for them to carry your monitoring service. (which brings me to #3)

3. Have it monitored if you want for $30 per month. However, know this: When your alarm is triggered, the monitoring company calls you first. This could take 10 plus minutes. Then when they do get you, and you say it is not accidental, they call the local police. The police then are dispatched to your house NON EMERGENCY. That could take 5-30+ minutes depending on your area, and if they are busy with something else at the time. Fine if you are cool paying for the monitoring service, but really not like the commercials play it up to be.

4. A loud external alarm is much better than monitoring. It scares off intruders, and notified neighbors.

5. Cameras are a great extra. They are getting cheaper everyday, and chances are, after you are broken into, you will probably recognize who it was. Like the snot nosed neighborhood punk.

Good Luck!

Edit: As far as cost; a full system with three external doors, and like 10 windows, should cost about $500-$800 installed. Unless you get the cheap system that comes with a monitoring contract. Ask around locally. Friends, neighbors, etc. Most companies will come out to give a free estimate.

6. Nov 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Go with local companies..

7. Nov 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Good info man, I take it you are in the business?

First off, I guess I assumed that buying the alarm system and monitoring went hand and hand.

Now that i think of it, I only have one door. Three large windows, all of which slide left to right. three small windows which slide left to right (although I don't know if it'd be worth arming the two of them as they are up on the second floor of the house and the person would need a ladder to get through of them). Other than that, I would be looking at 3 windows which go up and down. So looking at 9 windows and a door. Do you recommned the motion detectors or is the equipment around the windows/doors as well as the glass breaks sufficient. I'm not looking for an incredible state of the art system, but something to give me and my family added peace of mind.

Also, if there is no monitoring, in the event of a break-in (god forbid), do the alarms just sound off?

Appreciate the info, just hope I can get a few points clarified!

8. Nov 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    How hard would you say these systems are to install. I did a little bit of googling and came across numerous DIY systems.

9. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    skammer

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5
    ^^^
    What he said. I totally forgot about motion sensors.

My point of view was from a cop's experience. As far as the glass break sensors go though, stormy nights are extremely busy for us driving around, answering false glass break alarms due to thunder.

Everything Wolfpack said though is spot-on.

10. Nov 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    skammer

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5
    We never really looked into which windows exactly were showing glass break. Dispatch would just send us to the house with an "alarm showing glass break". With the motion sensors, they would tell us "alarm showing living room motion" or wherever.

I think the companies that come through town throwing cheap systems into homes probably didn't properly tune the glass break sensors like you described.

We used to go to false alarms all to time until they made it a local law that you had to register your alarm if it is monitored. You now get so many false alarms, and then you get fined for false alarms like $50. They added up how many false alarms we responded to in a year, and put it into a man-hour cost perspective. The city was spending like $95K each year on false alarms. That number has since gone way down after the new law forced people to become more responsible, and properly tune their systems.

Products Discussed in

To Top