1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of moving from Android to Iphone

Discussion in 'Technology' started by thebigk, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    TacoME

TacoME Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Agricover tonneau, Grom iPod adapter, Sirius Satellite Radio
    The "G" stands for generation. AT&T's 4G network (which Verizon calls LTE a/ka/ "Long Term Evolution") basically supports faster up/download speeds. HOWEVER, AT&T has been stung lately by advertising 4g phones (remember the Atrix?), which aren't actually enjoying 4g speeds, because AT&T is capping those speeds due to the inability of their network to actually handle the demand (due to their being late in actually building it). The iPhone 4/4s doesn't mean they're capable of faster up/download speeds (they're not) - they're just Apple's newest iteration of the phone. Although the two are both "4's," they mean completely different things.

Hope this helps.

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    It took years for mainstream things to become "iPod/iPhone" ready... Android-ready devices are starting to trickle onto the market now.

I would evaluate why you're looking into one or the other... As a former iPhone 3GS user, I dropped AT&T for their shitty 3g service... I "lived" with AT&T because it had the iPhone, but when their 3g service dropped my data speeds to less than .1 Mbps, I was done (I used to average 3-4 Mbps over the course of the 3.5 yrs I was with AT&T). I left my unlimited plan in favor of a Verizon plan (with the new Razr, which I love). For me, it was all about the speed.

To me, it sounds like you hate the service, and possibly the samsung itself. Try a different provider and a different brand.

Do you like tinkering with your devices? Do you consider yourself a "power-user" when it comes to computers? If so, you might wanna keep with Droids... If you don't, and you still have the basic windows theme on your home computer, maybe an iPhone might be better for ya.

If you do decide to go the iPhone route, I would highly suggest Verizon (I know there's people that would disagree as well) - I played around on several friends AT&T devices before I switched, but I honestly get faster data speeds on Verizon... I get between 15 and 32 Mbps with an average in the low 20's of download speed, and you're not gonna get that unless you get a 4g phone, and you're not gonna get an iPhone with 4g for at least a few months, more likely October (since that seems like it's Apple's new release cycle for iPhones)

3. Feb 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    BS. I have an Atrix. If you're in a 4G area, you'll definitely see a difference. On a bad connection, I get about the same as the iPhone 4. On a good connection, I get about 2.5-3 times the download speed on my Atrix as my wife gets on her iPhone. The 4S is definitely faster than the 4 on AT&T.

4. Feb 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Get what suits you. There is a quantum shift in what is going on with android and iOS right now. Used to be that every accessory was made for Iphone, but if you kept up with CES this year, everything is going android. Mainly because these "accessories" also need an OS since everything is smart these days. They can easily go with android open source on their devices. They dont even have a choice to go iOS. So when the accessory runs android and the phone runs android.. things are bound to work better. I think you are going to see more and more and android accessories. I mean even car stereos are starting to run android. I have a Galaxy Nexus and love it. For me, pure android is the only way to go. ICS is soooooo fast and very smooth and stable so far for me. I prefer the customization of android. In the end its all about what works best for you. If you prefer simplicity then iOS is great for you.

5. Feb 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    thebigk

thebigk [OP] 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I'd LOVE to go Verizon and get that new Droid......but we don't have Verizon here....just AT&T & Sprint.....and AT&T barely came here last year and everybody that went to them hated the service. There was all kinds of hell. It was part of that deal where Verizon bought Alltel and had to sell some Alltel to AT&T.

I'm just thinking Iphone because it seems EVERYTHING is for Iphone. And I won't root my Android. (I jailbroke my Ipod touch but if it bricked no biggy) but my luck I'd brick my phone or some other bad luck crap LOL

And I do have a clock/radio/alarm dock in my bedroom I put my iPod in so it would be ready for an iPhone too.

You guys have valid points all around. I think I just need to look at it and just say SCREW IT! YES/NO! LOL

6. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    I have owned an android since they became available (droid1, droid2, droidX, droid3) and loved the OS but hated how fragile the device was (hardware failure about every 6 months).

I finally got an Iphone 4 and have never looked back. Great device, stable and worth every penny. Itunes sucks but I have learned to live with it.

7. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I know AT&T has a 30 day return policy. If Sprint has something similar, I'd say just try it out. If you don't like it, take it back. iPhones are solid devices. i'm sure you'd be happy with it.

8. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    thebigk

thebigk [OP] 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    WalMart has the 4s for 188 bucks as an upgrade. I'm going to go look at it this afternoon and make a decision by then.

9. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    I was actually considering an Iphone before i got my Gnex because i have found that im less and less interested in modding, but was severely disappointed in the 4S "improvements". I could care less about Siri and a minor spec boost. I was really hoping they would come out with a bigger screen and LTE. I have had 4.3"+ screens since the first droid X and the iPhone screen just seems downright tiny to me now. The lack of LTE when everything on VZ is LTE these days and their LTE network is growing like wildfire is unacceptable. I love my Gnex. I love that it is pure android without all the bloat that carriers and manufacturers add. It is much faster and more stable. I dont know if I would go to Iphone now even if they came out with a bigger screen and LTE.

10. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I have an ipod touch - use it at work mainly. After I got back from deployment I finally got my first smart phone, a motorola Droid Something Or Other, mainly b/c I couldn't justify having an iphone (essentially an ipod touch that rings).

I've pretty much stopped using the touch. Not so much cuz I don't like it, but the Motorola screen is the size of the entire Touch. The keyboard isn't as smooth as the ipod, and seems to force-close things a bit more, but since I don't have the ipod phone I can't say if it's comparable. The phone so far has almost the exact apps the Touch does.

Interface wise, they're similar. Like others have said, the ipod might be a bit more intuitive and smoother. But, I find ipod menu's annoying, lots of "next" and "back" buttons. Android has a bunch of menu options, but it takes you directly there. Speed between programs seems similar. Resolution is a little better on my phone, but in fairness the Touch is probably 2-3 years old. Camera is there, the Touch doesn't have one (again, last generation).

I really think it's one of those "just do it" type of things. Playing at the store is nice, but you really have to keep it in your pocket for a week or 2, get comfortable with it, and then make a decision. Unfortunate, since you can't usually do that!

Would I now get an ipod phone? No, but a lot of it is b/c I do a lot of reading on my phone and the screen is just a bit better for that, since it's larger. Would I get the iphone if the screen size was comparable? Maybe.

11. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Its entertaining you call it an "iPod Phone" as if you're trying to take some credibility away from it because it shares some features with a very expensive music/entertainment device (iPod Touch). :rolleyes:

12. Feb 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Read into things much?

fanboys.jpg

13. Feb 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I went with the iphone 4s about a month ago. On verizon.

Everything works, no freeze ups, good battery life.

I have not had a problem with the speed (3g) on the iphone.

Have had Palm devices from 1999 through TREO palm phone in 2009 or 2010. Since then have had work issued blackberry. I thought long about iphone or android but for me iphone won out in great part due to the reliability of apples operating system and strict quality control.

14. Feb 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I had 3 iPhone's then went to android. I like Samsung devices a lot. Mine does freeze up if I overload it, but other than that it is better in some aspects then iPhone and the iPhones are better in other.

They are both good phones but have their problems. Just play with both and see what you prefer.

15. Feb 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    Iv been with the droid 1 since it came out years ago, it was a great phone but far from perfect, I waited to upgrade until there was a phone I liked. Just got the droid 4 and I love this phone, the 4g speeds are insane, using it took about a day to get used to but I will take a android phone over a iphone anyday of the week.

Evil Monkey, would you be able to run a app like picsay pro on a lapdock?

16. Feb 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    It can run all the apps on the phone. You can call from it, text message, run any app. On some apps you can full screen it if it is supported. So I can play angry birds, I can play a movie and full screen it to the lapdock or I can use the Kindle app and read full screen. Some apps like Words with Friends only appear as they would on the phone (long narrow).

17. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list

Thanks for the info, I may pick one up then. I really like editing with picsay pro, but its hard to do some things on that tiny of a touch screen, I always told my gf if I can find a way to be able to use a mouse I would do it. Looks like ill start seeing what lapdock would be best for me.

18. Feb 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Find what suits you the most. I can only share from what I've experienced.

I used to use an iPhone 2G, back from when it first came out in 2007. Had that phone for almost 3 years, and by then I was ready to get rid of it.

What I love about the iPhone is well, everything just works...When it does work. Apple has done a great job incorporating, Messaging, Phone, and iPod into one device. However, as my iPhone aged the Wifi Chip somehow burnt itself out, my Audio would never play right either docked or just from the speaker. It would play audio either delayed, a pitch higher or lower, or not play at all, and the battery would not last a full day. Pretty soon it became a love/hate kind of thing with my iPhone. Since Audio would never work right, and the Wifi chip got knocked out I just got used to not using my iPhone with any apps. Just Messaging, Phone, and iPod.

Come now, I'm on a BlackBerry Bold 9780 and I love it. Having a battery last more than a day and a physical keyboard is nice, Plus! Working Audio and Wifi!! Texting on this phone is amazing. Another feature I love on BlackBerry is UMA, at school there are some dead spots but the entire campus has Wifi, so you can connect to a Wifi network and get Cell Service, both Data and Phone/Texting. However, I do lug around an iPod Nano now because the media player on BlackBerry...well, could use improving. I'm ready to give Android a shot, I have an Android tablet that runs Android 2.3 and I can't wait to have an Android Phone running Android 4.0.

The iPhone is a wonderful phone when everything works right, but after 3 years of being on iOS I'm ready to try Android out.

19. Feb 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Be aware though that if the app isn't designed to be used on a larger screen, you may just get a pixelated version of it when it's maximized. If possible, I'd try the lapdock out before buying it. They may have one in the store you can hook up to.

Also, with AT&T you have to pay for tethering to use the lapdock for browsing using the 3g/4g network (not wifi).

20. Feb 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    Ill have to check out my local verizion store since thats who I have and see if they wil let me try a few out to see if it works like I want. I also have unlimited data so not too worried about going over a limit :cool:.

Products Discussed in

To Top