1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking of relocating to texas...

Discussion in 'Texas' started by RoyB, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    I love it where I'm at. Nice small town country life. Only 40 miles from Houston and 80 miles from the coast. Around 200 miles from Dallas and 179 miles from Austin. Haven't been able to find a job since september though. Don't want to commute. Don't have any oilfield or manufacturing experience though and those are the main jobs around here.

2. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    i love texas, no humidity!! (never lived there, spent a lot of time there a few years ago though) . . . and it's flat, great for gas millage. texas-the only place where you can watch your dog run away for three days!

3. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    No public land??? Shits everywhere...
    Texans treat new comers better than 90% of the country...
    Texas is a huge state so of course it will be the #1 state for consumer fraud...

Just sayin.

4. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    You mean all humidity. Thats my only complaint of Texas.

5. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    DirtyDawg

DirtyDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DC Long Bed
    TRD Supercharger, URD CAT Back delete with headers and stainless exhaust
    I grew up in Texas...and plan on returning to retire there. If you're relocating from a liberal political environment and intend to bring union mentality, business killing taxes, welfare social programs, and a belief that government should solve all your problems....then don't move to Texas. It's prosperous for a reason. Don't go to Texas with the intent of changing it.

6. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    chopper

chopper ky taco

Member:
    First Name:
    chop
    stanton,kentucky
    Vehicle:
    05 taco reg cab 4x4
    dura tracs, debadged, weathertech floormats, removed mudflaps,black paint wheels,k&n air intake.
    what do u texans know about bedias down round huntsville,my couisin lives there going down for two weeks in may might not come back to ky

7. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    I lived in many states and have been to most. Honestly politics and weather are a factor. If you are liberal, you will probably only feel at home in Austin and possibly El Paso. The rest of Texas is pretty conservative. You don't have great scenery and weather (very hot summers, cold winters in the panhandle), but things are inexpensive, jobs are still plentiful, taxes are not out of control (real estate is kind of high). Food is great. California? Mostly liberal, no harsh weather in most places, scenic, expensive, fewer jobs, high taxes, expensive gas and real estate, better beaches than texas, but not as good as florida or hawaii. Personally, not a California fan. like my current state (MA) way too much regulation, but you can drive for miles in your Tacoma on near empty beaches without a permit. Of course driving in the desert in Texas is pretty awsome too.
    Good luck!

8. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not all of Texas is a desert. this is where I live :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Im like 30 miles from there. A buddy of mine has a ranch out there. Its close to college station, A&M, and some hot ass college girls.

10. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    Could try and apply at Trane, but I don't know what kind of work you're into. :)

11. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    no way man. im from nc, when we step out the door in the summer in the morning at 6 the sticky hits you! when i was in texas all they would do is brag about how they handle the hot weather, 102 degree+ days yada yada but it was such a clean sweat (doing construction) . . . some of them came up and we took them out to a mudcats game (local 2A farm team for the Reds, now Rockies?) anyway, 7 in the evening, and you'd think they were sitting in a sauna. "it so hot, im sticky with sweat waahh waahh!!!". . . . . im just messin with you man, but i am "sticking" (pun?!) to my guns on this one.

12. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Job market in Texas in general is down like the rest of the country, but better than most other states. I would think if you are an electrician, that you would have no problem finding a job. It may just take some time. Austin, DFW and Houston are probably your best job markets, but places like Tyler, Midland Odessa, Waco and many more smaller cities would also be places to look. Hope this helps.

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    I lived in California for 14 years and I absolutely hands down love Texas. It's especially nice in East Texas, everyone here is way more respectful. It's so much better here, I just cannot truthfully explain it all in words.

The only thing I miss about California is being with my friends/family and chilling out at the beach.

14. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    Gundy315

Gundy315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
    Apparently you were never near the Houston area (or anywhere near the gulf coast, for that matter). 98% humidity AND 100-deg heat almost every day in late summers.

15. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Texas has I think the best economy in that nation right now. And crime isn't so bad as long as you stay on the north side of the big cities

16. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    Mister Sir

Mister Sir Member

Member:
    Texas, Its bigger than France
    Vehicle:
    93 Toyota, 2002 Tacoma Prerunner DCB
    Painted the rims black, rear AAL, 1" front lift spacer. Bitchin ride bro
    I moved to dfw 5 years ago from CA. It was a good move for me and my family. I like Ca but it was going down as far as job market, housing etc. right after I left. I miss my friends, small town I lived in and my folks :(. I would chose Texas again. There still is work but it is a challenge to find. Start your own business if all else fails. To get data of citys go to www.city-data.com it will give you all kinds of info on the different citys.

17. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:13 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    How much of your county is public land including local, county, state and fedeal? How much of that do you have access to? When I was living in DFW most decent places to spend a quiet afternoon in a public park were a three hour drive away:)

All the lakes in NE Texas were virtually inaccessable if you didn't have a boat, severe lack of public parks and beaches on the lakes, and most of the land surrounding the lakes were private.

Now, in Amarillo, there was a man made lake and a 4x4 area north of town, but it was full of quicksand and rattlesnakes...

My county in Tennessee is 55% National Forest with free public access with parking areas so it can be easily used by the public.

Having lived in Texas three different times, I am no longer buying into the Texas brand.

Oh, Texas is the only state I have ever lived in that has a special motorvehicle tax for "new residents" and when I showed that one of my motorcycles was previously titled in Texas, twice, the tax was relieved for that one vehicle, but not for the others. In fact, moving to Texas, I got treated more harshly than all my other state to state moves. How many different states have you moved to? My three children were born in three different states...

Howard

18. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:29 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    For your age group , move to Austin. It is the High Tech area and party central

19. Feb 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    X2! Texas DOES have its own type of scenery. ;)

20. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Yeah around Dallas, but where I am backs up to the sam houston national forest, Tons of public boat ramps and state parks, lakes, and parks. There are alot of 4x4 parks within a hour from me, not many are rocky just mud and hills around here. But as stated before its a huge state and just depends on where your at... Never lived anywhere else though. Taxes on vehicles do suck ass here, but I don't know how they compare to other states. :wink: And our death penalty rocks... Just needs to be enforced more than letting them suck up tax dollars

Products Discussed in

To Top