1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thinking of relocating to texas...

Discussion in 'Texas' started by RoyB, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Feb 17, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2

2. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    All of you are welcome to date my ex-wife, a native born texan, up in Fort Worth:) however, you have been warned.

Howard

3. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    So much bad info here...

Humidity: I agree with the folks that point out the humidity of Houston. I used to walk from my house 20 feet to the garage, to go to work in the am, and have my shirt sticking to my back when I got there.

No Income Taxes: True, but if you are a homeowner, (directly), or a renter (indirectly), get ready to take the weenie on property taxes. Mine are $1K per month, with half of that going to educate other people's kids.

Political Climate: True 'dat. Most of the state is conservative, except for Travis county, (Austin), and the counties on the southern border. Unless you live where I do, don't expect someone else to wipe your a**, you're going to have to take care of yourself.

Unions: See above.

Public Land: Texas ranks 46th, in the % of public land owned by the state. Not a lot. It's interesting to know that the only natural lake in Texas is Caddo. The rest are man made.

Employment: If you're in construction, things are picking up, at least where I live. However, you may be shocked at what you'll be paid, (see "Unions" above). Too many illegals, more than willing to cram 10 to a house, even more than that in a pickup, and work for wages you'd laugh at. Don't like it? Neither do I, but until the Feds get serious about defending the border, it ain't going away.

I love Texas, and don't plan on moving anywhere soon, but don't move to Austin. Too many folks here already.... :rockband:

4. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift

Your response made me think of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JOFhfoAD4

5. Feb 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    RoyB

RoyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    What is your house valued at? I am paying almost $600/mo now for property taxes on a (currently worth) 320K house. I paid roughly 2500 into income tax last year and will be paying 4,000 this year due to a tax increase. Those combined are about $900/yr.

If my mortgage is low, I don't need to make huge money. I don't NEED to be in a union just because I am now....

6. Feb 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    fuck california as someone born and raised here .... texas would kick ass

and yes so texas has a high crime rate ..... think about what country is south of it

7. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    $435K.

8. Feb 18, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Oldboatcrap

Oldboatcrap Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 DOUBLE CAB
    Here here. I lived in Eureka, Slumboldt CA. because of my job. The only thing good about California is San Diego. Crime is only high in parts of Texas, like every other state and even city. I know because I have been to almost every state. Everybody in this post has a bad area in thier state. Texas has very good safe places. North Dallas..great, low crime. South Dallas..slum.
    And yes, automatic transmissions are the end of civilization. Thanks for killing the manual in the Tundra, Toyota...appreciate that.

9. Feb 21, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2

x2 San Diego!

10. Apr 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    JSW

JSW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Orlando FL
    Just doing some research on here. Theres a position out in Texas that I'm looking at going after. I'm from Orlando, so I understand and have a love/hate relationship with the humidity/weather. The position is in the Galveston, but I dont have to live there. Thoughts/ Suggestions?

Thanks for all your help guys.

11. Apr 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    galveston seemed nice when i visited (parts of it anyways). not real big from what i remember.

12. Apr 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    so did you ever figure out if your commin to TX or not?

13. Apr 20, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    Brians Texas Taco

Brians Texas Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Silver Double Cab
    3'' Suspension Ready Lift, 33'' inch KM2's, K&N Airfilter, Graphite Metal Areosal Paint Can Rims. All Pro Off Road IFS Skid Plate, All Pro Off Road Transmission Skid Plate, All Pro Off Road Transfer Case Sheild are all on order as we speak.
    I have lived in Texas since 93 and I love it, jobs are easy to find, housing is fairly cheap, and the best part is that winter only lasts for a few weeks. You can barbque on christmas day in a pair of shorts. So theres no place like home, if you decide to move here welcome...

14. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Wasnt a 3 week winter this year :rolleyes:

15. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    Kmacafee

Kmacafee Well-Known Member

Member:
    I spend a few weeks down there (Austin) every year for work and just got back. No one has mentioned traffic yet but in Austin, it gets worse every year. It certainly rivals many other much larger cities I travel to. The roads are in terrible shape.

From what I hear from locals, the booming Texas economy is part myth given a massive state budget deficit. Schools are typically ranked towards the bottom nationwide and unemployment is rising.

Check out Fredericksburg in the Hill Country. I don't know what the job situation is there but its a great town surrounded by beautiful country. I have generally found the people in Texas to be incredibly friendly.

16. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Brians Texas Taco

Brians Texas Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Silver Double Cab
    3'' Suspension Ready Lift, 33'' inch KM2's, K&N Airfilter, Graphite Metal Areosal Paint Can Rims. All Pro Off Road IFS Skid Plate, All Pro Off Road Transmission Skid Plate, All Pro Off Road Transfer Case Sheild are all on order as we speak.
    From what I have heard they are supposed to be fixing that problem with traffic on IH 35 in Austin. Austin is a good city but i wouldnt live in it, I will find another city to live in , such as the hill country it seems to better out there and there are a few places to wheel there as well.

17. Apr 22, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    not yet. I have some financial situations I need to sort out before I can just up and leave. my early searching looked like the job market isn't that hot and I wouldn't be paid nearly as much as I am currently. That is fine, except I would have to sell my house in a crappy market :-/

18. Apr 27, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    project tacoma

project tacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Aubrey TX
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner TRD Sport
    Texas is God's Country (my humble opinion). As a fellow Harley Rider you will love riding the back roads as well as the Hill country here is Texas. It is pretty amazing riding. I have lived in Texas since 4 and would not live anywhere else if it can be avoided. I travel for work about 30% and travel all over the US and Canada and the cost of living in Texas is much less than most of the states/areas in travel to. I am not a fan of the cold so Texas is where I plan to stay. I rode almost all year round.

19. Apr 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Do you like fat people?

You'll get plenty of those in Texas.

(To be fair, Illinois has its share of fatties, too)

20. Apr 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    and as someone that is born and raised here (in Cali), i'd never leave, at least not for texas. hell, i can live in the central valley, that's not much different. not bashing texas at all, it's just california, with it's downsides has amazing upside, more than enough to overcome the other.

Products Discussed in

To Top