1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking on moving West!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by sammy87, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jun 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    The only reason you are thinking west is because of your wife's job opportunities? I have just recently graduated college along with my gf and I have been thinking very hard as to where I would want to live. I weighed out the pros and cons and I came up with the fact that I already live in the best town.

I live in Charlotte, NC. Its a great town, good politics, fair taxes. 3 hrs from some of the best beaches in the south and 2 hrs from the best skiing in the southeast. We have great hunting fishing and the fact that we have 2 great lakes (Host the Bass Master Championship more then once) in the city limits is almost un-heard of.

There are good jobs here, a lot of great construction companies since that is what you have experience in. In terms of weather we experience both snow and 100 degreee weather. We have tendencies to go months of perfect weather.

Also when you compare our city size with those in teh west. We have close to 1 million residents and during rush hour you can get from one end of the city to the complete other end in less then 30 mins. This is assuming there is no wrecks. Also we have quite a few sports teams and concert venues that see regular big names come through.

now this is all meant in speculation that you have yet to consider our side of the country. I know I seem like a damn salesman but I really like the city I live in and I would hope you consider it as well.

2. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Portland! :D

I am going to try to move there next summer. I absolutely love it there. The scenery, the people, the city, the Pacific Northwest in general. Seattle isn't too far, Canada isn't too far, skiing isn't too far, the coast isn't too far. It's perfect!

It's not that expensive either! I also LOVE the weather.

My original choice was Vancouver, but the priciness of it drove me away and I started doing research on Portland and it won me over. :D

3. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I know what you mean. I can talk to people from here and they think it's the best. I actually went to ECU so I'm fairly familar with NC. We both want to move out there, we are exploring the possibilities we have close to 3 yrs to think about it. I've lived in PA, VA, TX, NC, FL, GA, and AL. I'd like to try somewhere different. It's all a matter of opinion.

Thanks though

4. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    Stay the heck away from California. I was born and raised there and would never move back there to live. I don't need to repeat the reasons. It has gone to heck.

I like your ideas about Oregon but would try Washington first.

I had a chance to go to Northern Utah and I reallly wanted to go. It seems like a beautiful place. But a friend and co-worker from Salt Lake City warned me to consider my family's religion and that we weren't Mormon. She said we would have a rough time. I could not take the risk moving my family there and not fitting in.

You didn't mention Idaho. I am really interested in Idaho but I have never been there. But It just looks beautiful like Washington and Oregon.

As for my next suggestion - Austin, Texas is pretty nice.

5. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I've heard the same about N. Utah, but I've also heard different as well. I'm doing more research. CA is a big mystery to me, it seems some people love it and others packed up and never looked back. I've never been so I can only take people's word for it.

I just movies out of San Antonio, it was ok, just way too hot.

6. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    misterquad

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    I was the first generation of my family born in California back in 1963. My family and their friends were from the mid-west and south. And Ventura County had very mid-western values. By the mid 1980's Ventura County was being overrun by LA and that lifestyle. I don't do well with that lifestyle. Then I moved to San Luis Obispo and then Sacramento, I loved it, they are close to everything. I love the looks of Northern California.

My biggest problem with California is that the state is broke. They over valued their real estate and then mortgaged it. Now, the credit card bills are due and there is no money.

I live in San Antonio now and I love it here. I believe I was mistakely born in the wrong state and that I was supposed to be born in Texas. I tell my California friends that I am a Texan.

7. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    That is a great description! I lived in SoCal for nine years and loved it but it's not a great place to raise a kid. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely go to San Diego.

8. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Not to sound ignorant but isn't San Diego in SoCal?

9. Jun 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    They are all great places to see and to live and work. We live here in Ukiah,Ca and I have been here 5 yrs the GF has been here 40 yrs and we like it alot for the things we can do. The Ocean is 1 hr away, the Snow is 1-1/2 away, San Fran is 1-1/2 away, The Redwoods is 10 minutes away, and we have a population of 15,000 right here. So small enough to see the stars at night and no late night sirens going off but the big city is close enough to enjoy for a good dinner or nite on the town. There is 4 lakes in the 15 min to 1-1/2 range. We have a lot of small businesses here and a few chain stores to get most all of your shopping done and the Santa Rosa is the next major city only 45 minutes away.
    YA Cali can suck for its politics but what place cant. Ive lived in all parts of Oregon and Washington and you here them talking about the same thing as we do here. My family lives in Oregon now but go back 7 generations here in Cali. YA some day I might move out of the area but Cali has a lot to offer and a lot of money can be made here. Especialll your lady being in Chiropractic care. They get like $65 to $85 an hr here. Our weather is some of the best around and we live in the heart of Wine country and beer. We have about 18 winerys and a few Brewerys that are just awesome. Check us out and see what ya think and if ya have any questions look at some of my pics in my gallery of our wheeling adventures here. We just did a group camping trip up to Hull Mtn and had a blast.
    Oh and we have some of the best hang gliding Mtns around as well as scuba diving if ya like those things.

10. Jun 23, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    Been here in Albuquerque just over a year, and I think it's great. Only thing missing is the beach, and that the kids' grandparents are all back east. Plenty to do, great weather, and it's kinda under the radar; it's amazing how many people don't know New Mexico is a state.:p

11. Jun 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I spent a year and a half in Pittsburgh, thats one of my favorite places. You got the city right there, you shoot 20 mins up 28 and you have the country life. I traveled to a lot of different places, Pittsburgh was my favorite. I even drank some steel city beer. :D

Id stay there....IMO

12. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    misterquad

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    I need to mention that Sacramento and Redding can be hotter than San Antonio. Basically, if you go inland more and 15 - 20 miles from the ocean, your summer temperatures will be 90 -100.

13. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    I live between sacramento and reno in a town with a population of around 3500. Elevation is right around 3000 and get a good amount of snow in the winter and if you want the beach is about a 2.5 hour drive or so

14. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I laugh every time I hear stuff like this. Yes there is a high population of member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but they are just regular people. Wherever you live you are always going to find people that you get along with and are confirmable around even if they are members of the church.

If you are looking for a city with a wild night life SLC is not for you but if you are looking for a clean city with tons of outdoor activities at your door step SLC / N. Utah is for you.

If I didn't live in SLC and had to choose another state I would definitely look into Oregon. What little time I have spent there was awesome.

Springdale should be good place to use as a launching point to check out S. Utah sights. Unfortunately my knowledge of S. Utah is pretty limited but it sounds like you are hitting up all the popular places. There is a night and day difference between the terrain and climate in S. Utah and N. Utah.

I have lived in Missouri, Kansas and Utah and would take Utah over those states anyway. I'm not trying to start anything they just weren't for me.

[​IMG]

15. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4

16. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4

I think people tend to fear the unknown. Most I ran into were pretty nice folks. We are not really into crazy night life. Healthy living, good place to raise a family. Ive moved a lot and most places really look the same after a while, bestbuy, costco, walmart all grouped together.

I knew a few dudes that were stationed at Hill AFB in Ogden a few yrs back and they always had good things to say. Any input?

Thanks again.

17. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    You don't want to go there. Expensive as hell and all the trees are dying.

18. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    True but it's a dry heat. Anything north of Redding CA is beautiful and mostly rural country. Check out Red Bluff too. If you like the coastal areas, check out Eureka. If you like to boat / waterski, Redding and Lake Shasta are awesome.

19. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Big R

Big R Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James Gibbs (randy)
    Litchfield Park
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Leather trim.avic 110bt stereo
    Leather,airaid,avic110bt,kappa speakers front rear,jl w3 10 inch sub,angel eyes front lights ,azzel rear lights,sport hood and a few more to come
    Arizona...Phoenix/Scottsdale
    Close to everything..8 months great weather...NO RUST..
    NO RUST.:):cool:

20. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    misterquad

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    Upon my first trip to Redding, I fell in love with the place. I love everywhere in that area. I wanted to move there immediately.

The problem in the Northern most part of California - I just could not find a job to match my profession. I have considered a career change and growing weed up there.

To Top