1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking Taco again, I NEED THOUGHTS OPINIONS ECT!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryanf, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    ryanf

ryanf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    Hey guys, well last year I sold my 2006, AC TRD OR, 6 speed for my F250. Over the past 2 years my priorities have changed. I was a big fan of bigger is better, more is better. I love my 3/4 ton, and use it a lot. But I owe 18K on it. And now with new priorities I'm thinking it's a good time to start minimalizing my life, and happy doing so. I loved my taco, but got annoyed one day, i dumped 2100lbs in the bed and broke it. I knew better, and could have saved the headache if i just brought my trailer with me, but instead being me, i was like screw this I'm going back to a 1ton.

So I'm selling the F250 and debating, 1/2 ton or mini truck. I like the 1/2 tons out there, but the they are still pretty big, more expensive to maintain and fix then the taco. I do do a lot of construction on the side, as well as maintaining my few rentals, and the smaller bed, well blows, but it's nothing i can't work around. I never do full renovations (think this old house), i do small ones at a time, a few tools moved at a time, since its not my full time job.

I NEVER trailer huge, and even then I did tow a 7500k trailer with my taco, and if I needed to tow a trailer for big materials I could easily.

So Now im thinking, what do i want. I def want a crew cab, had the AC and couldnt get a car seat back there, and have the extended cab 250 and the back is still tight.

I'd PREFER a manual, due to fun of driving, better MPG, cheaper to fix if it ever broke, and i like them, but crew cab 6 speeds are harder to find I think. So How are the AUTOs in these trucks? Decent? tolerable?

Also debating between a first and second Gen, I had the second, but may have a smaller budget this time, maybe 13/15k and may have to go pre 06.

thoughts, opinions, feelings?

thanks guys!!!

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    really? LOL that's funny. I would never have thought. Plus would be good that my wife could drive it.

I def don't want to go new since I don't want a payment, and most 1/2 tons in my price range have close to 200K. I trust a tacoma with 100K, I've owned all makes of 1/2 tons and by 100K they are loose, bouncy, and they all have their quirks. The late model 5.4 motors have head issues, I've fixed a few its a huge PITA as well as 800 bucks. The Dodge has front end issues, the Chevy's are good, but still have 180K on them.

The 4.0 is a strong reliable motor, and if i end up with a 3.4 those are bullet proof too.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    Truth.

I think this started with the '05s? I'm pretty sure pre-2nd gen Taco's got better gas mileage on the manual's.

I know when I went to pickup my '09, the 6spd got 14/18 on the sticker and the auto was 16/19. Made me mad, but I still went with the 6spd. I'm glad I did, most of the time...

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [[[[[[EXPOtrooper]]]]]] IG: xpotrpr

Member:
    First Name:
    Moose
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    SUPERCHARGED MID TRAVEL 2009 DCSB TRD O/R 4X4 AUTO
    CHECK BUILD
    Yeah, auto is better for mpgs.. after I totalled my 06 Taco,I test drove an ecoboost f150, then my current Taco. Yes, the f150 is nicer, more room, more power, but Its more expensive, repairs are more, and probably won't last as long. I love my taco, but if i could afford it, I'd probably go with a 150. It's up to you. Do you need the larger bed? More cabin room?

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    I do actually, but CAN survive....I am looking now at the Silverado 1500...the 5.3 will run forever, they can be had for about 9-11K with less then 100K and the extended cab is MUCH MUCH bigger!

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Odessa, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    I would suggest looking for an 05 or newer crew cab long bed if your still interested in a tacoma for everything you need. This body style only comes with automatic, but would fit your lifestyle the best.

7. Nov 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    blackpearl11

blackpearl11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    If you want the convenience of a large bed look at the Tundra, their mpg is not as bad as you would think and they have toyota reliability. otherwise I would find a used crew cab long bed tacoma.

8. Nov 30, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    JRader1790

JRader1790 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pascagoula
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4x4

I had plenty of room in my extended cab silverado, loved it! But the VMAX 6.0L paired with 35x12.5's was kicking my butt in gas!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Top