1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Third Pedal for the win!

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Devious6, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Apr 27, 2021 at 3:53 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 [OP] Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Although I opted for an AT in my Tacoma, I still love driving a manual transmission. People talk about how it has become an anti-theft device. Well, here's proof.

Third Pedal.jpg

2. Apr 27, 2021 at 4:08 AM
    Smacky2020

Smacky2020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bristol, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC - Cement
    Stock wheels and suspension. Random "utilitarian" mods featured on this great forum.
    Kids these days need better role models :rofl:

3. Apr 27, 2021 at 5:06 AM
    suprafastcelica

suprafastcelica TOYOTA 4 LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tiffin, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD Sport
    Outside: Custom Grille with FJ40 Grille emblem, TRD Pro Skid plate, TRD SEMA wheels with slightly oversized Pro Comp A/T tires, Scorpion Cat shield, Borla exhaust, Meso smoked mirror signals, SaBellCo tailgate lock, Body Armor Hiline front bumper, LED Headlights, LED fogs, LED taillights, Meso Total Tail stage 1 Inside: Meso dash inserts and door handle covers, URD short throw shifter with FJ TRD shift knob, Tinted front windows to match the rear,
    MT should be an insurance discount for this reason

BuddyS, dand, jpb2 and 13 others like this.
  4. Apr 27, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Va
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma - 2018 Tacoma
    An article in US News and World Report states only 18% of american drivers can operate a manual trans and that % is dropping drastically every year.

Unfortunately, that's the reason that manual transmissions are becoming a thing of the past. Corvette got down to where only about only 20% of Corvettes were being ordered as manuals so
    like most other world class sportscars, GM doesn't even offer a manual transmission in the new C8 Corvette.

5. Apr 27, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    CRSTRD

CRSTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I read several of the car mags every month (Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc) and there are a few writers who wish to "save the manuals" but there are others, mostly younger, who deride manual transmissions and people who buy them....almost in the manner of a "boomer" insult. The typical argument is that modern automatics, more particularly automated manual transmissions are "faster" than traditional manual cars. While this may well be true, some people are more interested in the joy of interactive driving than "paper racing" statistics. Porsche tried to go full PDK but there was, thankfully, enough push-back from their customer base that they are still offering manual transmissions. I get that it can be a personal choice, like anything else.

6. Apr 27, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    My 17 year old daughter just bought her first car. A 5sp manual 2013 Corolla. Awesome little car. She’s the only girl in her high school that can drive a standard transmission. I didn’t put her up to this, she really wanted to learn. It’s been fun teaching her the ropes. Sure makes me wish, at times, my truck was an MT.

7. Apr 27, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    A manual might affect your ability to sell your truck since there are so few people that can drive them.

Devious6[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 27, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    NorrinRadd

NorrinRadd Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sport, access cab, MT, Eibach 2.0 stage 2, tow, silver.
    Only owned manuals and taught all my kids to drive a stick shift because I knew there would be parties in high school and I wanted them to be able to drive someone home if necessary no matter what type of vehicle. Plus the dealer had my '19 Sport on their lot for about 7 months so I got a screaming deal on it!

9. Apr 27, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    GSDLVR123

GSDLVR123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randall
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro (Solar Octane)
    Gosh I know that since I’m a Boomer (which I do not view as a derogatory term - even though it’s usually meant as such) - driving a Standard/Manual transmission is not a unique skill set but rather a preference. I like both, but with so many knee surgeries I usually prefer automatics.

I must say I do not any of my kids friends (my kids are 18,19 and 20) that can’t drive a standard transmission. I am shocked at all the articles, jokes etcetera about it. I’m guessing it’s because we live in a rural/farm setting where most kids drive tractors, dirt bikes, old trucks around farms ( from early ages).

My son had never driven a standard transmission car/truck, when my friend sold him his truck (2002 TRD OR 4x4 - Standard Transmission) but he drove it around a parking lot of a church for a few minutes, then drove 2 hours back to our farm - through several small towns and many hills to stop on...no issues. BTW my son’s truck is a blast to drive...the 1st Gen is a remarkably capable vehicle....goes anywhere!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  10. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    Kremtok

Kremtok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD
    2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
    Could also go the other way too, with a buyer willing to pay a bit of a premium for one of the few MT trucks out there.

BuddyS, apowers, jpb2 and 9 others like this.
  11. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    how in the fuk can you not figure out how to drive stick?! :duh:

12. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    From my experience that's what seems to happen. Two years ago a friend of mine sold his '14 Taco M/T in less then a day to a guy who drove from out of state to buy it. He got many other calls about the truck so there was definitely no lack of interest and he had no problem selling it.

Ten years from now if the trend of everything going automatic continues then selling an M/T may be more problematic, though it's hard to say.

13. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    I never cease to be amazed by people who can't seem to figure-out simple tasks. Case-in-point a good friend of mine I ride MC's with thought there was something wrong with his recently-bought dual-sport MC because it intermittently stalled when he put it into gear. I suggested that he might want to put the side-stand up prior to putting it into gear (that's a thing on newer Dual-Sport's). Two years later we still give him crap about that :D

14. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent

You would be equally surprised at how many people think the pinnacle skill of driving is to point the hood between the lines and push the skinny pedal.

Why do you think the road is swarmed with Nissan Rogues and Rav4s? :crapstorm:

06trdtaco, Kev250R, Junkhead and 3 others like this.
  15. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    CalcityRenegade

CalcityRenegade Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R ORP KDSS
    I bet most of the boys in her school couldn't even drive manual lol.

jpb2, Kev250R, Junkhead and 2 others like this.
  16. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    Tacowin1013

Tacowin1013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB 6MT MGM
    So does a house with a pool, but I don't buy a car immediately thinking about resale. Life is simply too short for that. Buy what you want to drive.

17. Apr 27, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Va
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma - 2018 Tacoma
    I have (3) daughters and each were taught to drive a car as good in reverse and in forward and how to drive a stick before they were turned lose to drive on their own.
    Two of the three chose manuals as their first vehicles. Eliminated their boyfriends from driving 'their' vehicles.

They learned how to drive a manual on my '96.

IMG_2845 (3).jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  18. Apr 27, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    I love this car. The 2013 Corolla “CE” (curmudgeon edition). So fun to drive.

The kid has to suffer like I suffered! :D

5 Speed Manual Transmission
    No power locks
    No power windows
    No AC
    No touchscreen or Bluetooth
    No power seats
    No heated seats
    No backup camera
    No new fangled gadgets goddamit!

(But has ABS, VSC, and a full compliment of airbags.......so dad can sleep at night)

D7599735-23D8-4FD6-AFAA-90A50A8D02AD.jpg

19. Apr 27, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    OZ TRD

OZ TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast CA
    Vehicle:
    6sp Manual TRD PRO - Lunar Rock '21
    Evo A SmartCap, Cali Raised Sliders (0 degree), 2WD low Mod, Puddle Pods, 3 switch overhead panel, 8 slot middle console panel, Custom driver's switch panel, Rek Gens, 265 75 16 Falkens, lil B Bed Stiffeners, All new Speakers, Diff Breather, AC Drain, Many interior bits...
    The opposite is the case - IF you want to sell...
    I've easily sold several of my past manual gearbox cars (at a premium) across the country, and even to people abroad BECAUSE they had a manual gearbox. Listing at a premium helps eliminate the tire kickers making transactions MUCH more pleasant.

I buy my cars because they fit the need and to drive them - when I consider an exit, I consider the M/T an additional selling point. Not at all a hindrance. This is proven in old-er cars with a manual, or those no longer made in a manual...

20. Apr 27, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    CliffyDeuce

CliffyDeuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD OR MT
    I’ve been saying that since the auto-manuals/DCTs/etc came out. If I was racing for money, I’d definitely want one because they’re faster than I could ever hope to be. But I drive for enjoyment, not money, and a manual increases my enjoyment factor by many times. So it’s manual transmissions for me. But I understand those that drive for utility see a manual as an extra hurdle to endure. Unfortunately for people like me, there are fewer and fewer of us.

MOC221_, shakerhood, Kev250R and 3 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top