1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

This Ain't Your Grandmother's Taco - TacoGranny's Mild Sauce Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by TacoGranny, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Jan 14, 2022 at 8:28 AM
    TacoGranny

TacoGranny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR DCSB Cement 6MT
    33's, Sliders, Skid Plates, Softopper, ATH rear bumper
    Hello. My friends call me Taco. My other friends (and some family) call me the Granny. Neither nickname has a very interesting back story, but they have stuck with me for years. Seemed appropriate for a username. Anyways, on to the truck.

Estimated reading time: 1 hour and 50 minutes (through post #56)

2020 TRDOR DCSB 6MT Cement

Current(ish) Picture, May 2022:
    20220516_150600.jpg

Current Picture, June 2023:
    IMG_8773.jpg

Current Mods/Add-ons/Misc:

Armor:

• Custom built steel sliders w/ dimpled fill plates and kickout, made by a buddy
    • RCI steel skid plates (engine, tranny, transfer case) w/ exhaust reroute for flat transfer case skid
    • ATH Fab high-clearance steel rear bumper
    Suspension:
    • KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks
    • On my 2nd set of OEM leaf springs
    • Removed front sway bar
    Wheels/Tires:
    • Tall skinny tires, 33"x10" (Mastercraft Courser CXT 255/85r16)
    Exterior/Cosmetic:
    • Softopper (black)
    • AVS in-channel rain guards
    • Rokblokz mudflaps (black on black, standard size)
    • MESO headlight trim plates
    • OEM bed mat
    • Chopped exhaust after rear axle crossover
    Interior:
    • Husky Weatherbeater floor mats
    • MESO flip key fob
    • Rav4 radio knobs
    • Static Climbing Co. chalk bag water bottle holder
    • Center console and glove box organizers
    Lighting:
    • H9 bulbs in stock halogen projectors
    • 3rd brake light on softopper
    Misc:
    I was able to purchase this Tacoma, my first new vehicle, in July of 2020 (thankfully before pricing went nuts due to COVID). I have loved everything about these trucks since I first saw pictures of them online in 2015, and have been a lurker here ever since, knowing I would buy one the second I could reasonably afford it.

Here it is at the dealership:
    20200729_084201.jpg

I knew Cement was the color for me when I saw it in person for the first time on a TRD Pro (2017ish?). At first I wanted the access cab, since it was always plenty for me and most recently, my dog. I liked the 6 foot bed of my 1st gen Tacoma, 5 feet seemed tiny. I also considered the DCLB, figuring it was the best of both worlds. It also had to be a TRD Off Road, since I liked the black fender flares, locking rear diff, and even the decals on the bedside (I had serious envy of TRD Off Roads with my 1st Gen SR5). Having driven manuals since I started driving at 16, and having only owned manuals (well, one automatic snuck in there for few months), I was dead set on another manual, despite all of my friends saying I should get the automatic.

This presented a problem, as neither the ACLB nor the DCLB were available with a manual transmission (ACLB no TRDOR in manual, and no DCLB in manual period).

After many years of doing what I do best (overthinking), I ended up with the DCSB with a 6MT, and it has been absolutely perfect for my needs. I couldn't imagine going back to an ACLB now after having the luxury of a full back seat, even if it's only passenger is my dog. The 5' bed also turned out to be a non-issue, I haven't run into anything yet that I couldn't Tetris in there with relative ease, and if I do, I'll buy a small trailer. The 6MT definitely has it's quirks, but I've grown to love it.

At home, safe and sound (although I almost nailed a deer later that night).
    20200729_173435.jpg

My Golden Retriever, Woodson (named after Packers/Raiders/Wolverines legend, Charles Woodson, Go Pack Go!) approves of having the entire backseat to himself, as he couldn't really lay down in the passenger seat of my 1st gen Tacoma.

Speaking of which, my 1st gen Tacoma, that started my love of Toyota trucks:
    20140828_195125.jpg

My first truck, bought after graduating from college and getting my first "real" job in 2014 (jeez time flies). 5 Speed, SR5, 4x4, in Horizon Blue Metallic (which I diligently remind my friends every time they give me shit for my "purple" truck), got it with around 130k miles on it, and was mostly trouble free besides some of my own negligence, it's still sitting in the yard with just under 200k (I have a problem getting rid of vehicles), but needs some serious TLC. It was a great truck, it was just getting a little long in the tooth, hence the new Tacoma.

First roadtrip, I think literally the day after I bought it, down to Elkhart Lake, WI for the IMSA series at Road America, a trip myself and a few good buddies have been making semi-regularly since high school. (No pics of race cars, sorry).
    20200730_155952.jpg

Next to my buddies truck, which is an inspiration for what I would like my truck to be someday:
    20200815_151355.jpg
    20200815_151421.jpg

First mod (8/23/20), MESO's headlight trim plates, the black fake grill looking inserts always looked wrong to me. Subtle, but I like it. I actually bought these months before the truck itself, since MESO stuff seems to be hit or miss on if it's in stock (not a knock, he makes great stuff).

Before:
    20200823_145600.jpg

After:
    20200823_154550.jpg

Second road trip, (9/20) out to Colorado with my dad, brother-in-law, and two other guys, elk hunting. Got to stretch the legs on the truck a bit with a several mile long trail ride to the point where we had to take UTV's and 4wheelers down a switchback, although I did find out as we were coming out that a stock 2nd gen Tacoma had made it down the switchback. I wish I had a few pictures of the trail in and out, just a few videos that don't do it justice, it was pretty tame, but definitely fun. Where my truck was parked for the week we were hunting:
    20200916_123543.jpg

Out at the trailhead:
    20200917_114320.jpg

No elk were harmed in the making of this build thread, unfortunately, but I was able to snag a few brook trout out of the stream near camp to supplement our camp meals.

20200915_193641.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of the trip, you can see our yellow tent at camp about 1/3 of the way from the left edge of the photo, slightly below the shadow/sun line.
    20200912_080035.jpg

You can also make out some smoke down in the valley, as there were wildfires in the area just over the ridge in the background, we actually ended up leaving a day early when we woke up one morning to find our valley filled with smoke and ash raining down on camp. Scary stuff.

More (mostly truck related) stuff to follow...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  2. Jan 14, 2022 at 9:09 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    good call on the 6MT and welcome to TW

General Chaos likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    doublethebass

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. Jan 14, 2022 at 11:22 AM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Horizon Blue Metallic

5. Jan 31, 2022 at 5:14 PM
    JOJO971216

JOJO971216 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josiah
    Moorpark, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Grey Tacoma TRD Off-road short bed
    Nice build man! Calvary blue looks beautiful.

6. Feb 3, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (9/2020) Another Toyota buddy of mine picked up this 5th gen 4runner out in Colorado at the same time as I was out there hunting, the timing just barely didn't work out for me to convoy with him on the way home from picking it up. He got it as a project vehicle, needing some work to finish clearing 37's, and some wiring repair from the previous owner burning through part of the wiring harness when he was cutting the truck up. Already getting envious of all my buddies on bigger tires.

20200925_224456.jpg

My buddies Tacoma flexing a bit at the local sand pit, on 34's (soon to be 35's).

20201003_151931.jpg

37's next to my stock tires, not sure if I'll ever get to this size but it's nice to dream. Maybe down the road when the truck is no longer my daily driver and it can be retired to off road duty only.

20201003_180419.jpg

(10/2020) And the 4runner back on the ground and driving.

20201015_172632.jpg

SweetCaroline and doublethebass like this.
  7. Feb 3, 2022 at 9:47 AM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (10/2020) Made a trip to a local OHV park with some friends to test out our trucks.

20201031_111113.jpg

20201031_111139.jpg

One of the first "obstacles" I've tried off road, up a couple of tree root steps. In hindsight, it was nothing compared to what the truck is capable of, but nonetheless it was a good lesson in learning how to trust your spotters. I was more worried about sliding into a tree than anything else, but some good spotting got me through unscathed.

20201031_115955.jpg

The trail was very tight in this section, so there was really no turning back once we got passed the root steps.

20201031_120205.jpg

20201031_120559.jpg

And finally back out in the open where I could breath a little easier.

20201031_122821.jpg

My buddies Tacoma showing some flex on a deep-ish water hole that I chose to go around. Chihuahua spotting out the rear window.

20201031_125232.jpg

And plenty of camera men taking shots.

20201031_125250.jpg

On top of a hill for another group shot. This area has a lot of taconite in the soil, hence the crazy orange/red color of the mud. It was a joy to clean off after the trip, orange water dripped out of every nook and cranny after the next several washes. I ended up applying fluid film a few weeks later.

20201031_140700.jpg

The big trucks decided to try some rock crawling, which was a little much for my stock truck without any armor, glad I didn't attempt it, as it took some careful spotting and tire placement to get even the 4runner through.

20201031_142805.jpg

20201031_143428.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  8. Feb 3, 2022 at 10:32 AM
    doublethebass

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    Which OHV park is that? Looks awesome.

9. Feb 3, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Iron Range OHV Park in Gilbert, MN. It was a great time, the taconite was the only real downside as it's pretty tough on vehicles. Might be better in the summer when everything isn't so sloppy.

doublethebass[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (11/2020) Around the time that we did the OHV trails, we starting discussing as a friend group about a possible trip out to Moab, Utah. We all had Toyotas, in various stages of modification, and had all at least dipped our toes into off-roading enough to know that we wanted to do more of it. After a late night of brainstorming trails we wanted to do and coming up with a rough travel plan, we booked some campsites at the KOA in Moab for May, 2021. That gave us 6 months almost to the day to get our trucks ready.

Fortunately, I have a cousin that lives in Utah with a 5th gen 4runner that had already dabbled in overlanding/off-roading in the Moab area. He was extremely helpful with planning our trip, and decided that he would join us out there come May. His first suggestion was to pick up a trail guide, which proved to be a handy resource when it came to planning our trip, as well as navigating the trails when we were out there. I'd recommend picking up a copy to anybody looking to do a wheeling trip in Moab.

20201122_192445.jpg

Eyeing Hell's Revenge, which would probably be above my truck/skill level.

20201122_192933.jpg

Having a somewhat limited budget to throw at the truck while still being able to afford the trip itself, I decided to prioritize on armor and some bigger tires over a lift. Fortunately, my buddy with the Silver Sky Tacoma is a damn good welder, and offered to make me a set of sliders for the trip, basically at material cost. He had already made his own set for his truck, so he had the measurements figured out. He also made a set for the silver 4runner, the white Tacoma, and his old man's FJ. It's nice to have talented and selfless friends, especially in a hobby as expensive as this.

Bending some outer bars.

20201121_175020.jpg

Test fitting the passenger side.

20201127_125434.jpg

Having a golden retriever that loves car rides, I was somewhat worried about him hopping in and out of the truck without fill plates on the sliders. He's not the most graceful dog, and I could picture him getting a leg caught in between the bars on entry/exit. So my buddy added some fill plates to ease my worries.

20210317_160558.jpg

Sliders done and ready for coating.

20210317_165621.jpg

SweetCaroline and geoyota760 like this.
  11. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (1/2021) As winter was upon us in the midwest, I quickly grew sick of having snow in the bed of my truck, and not being able to leave anything back there without it being exposed to the elements and wandering eyes. I've never really liked tonneau covers on trucks, so I started looking at hard toppers. I really liked the styling of the Leer 100XR, but after reading plenty on here about windoors, folding back windows, etc., the options list quickly added to an already high price tag, upwards of $3k+ when I had it spec'd out to what I wanted. Deciding money was better spent elsewhere with the upcoming trip, I scrapped the idea for the time being. I was almost able to snag a deal on a lightly used 100XR, in cement, with the exact options that I wanted for <$3k, but it was in the process of being sold when I saw the ad and contacted the seller. When I was debating if I had to succumb to a tonneau cover, my buddy with the Silver Sky Tacoma ended up picking up a softopper. After checking his out in person, I decided to pull the trigger on one.

20210104_150915.jpg

20210104_150934.jpg

For less than 1/4 of the price of a hard topper, I couldn't be happier, and it will stay on the truck for the foreseeable future. The visibility is fine, especially with a backup camera. The sides are easy to unsnap for reaching in the front of the bed, the whole thing folds up and can be completely removed in minutes for hauling bigger stuff, it keeps the weight down on the truck, and it keeps the snow out of the bed and wandering eyes from peaking in at it's contents. I will say IMO the only downside is the lack of "security" of not being able to lock the topper, and obviously it's easy to get inside. However, I think just by keeping things out of sight is 90% of the battle when it comes to thieves, if they want to get in a locked hard topper or tonneau cover, they will. I don't keep much back there anyways most of the year, but it's nice to have the extra dry(ish) storage space for trips.

The only thing I don't like about the Softopper is their ridiculous solution to securing the rear window bottom edge to the tailgate so it doesn't flap around, with velcro strips adhered to the top edge of the tailgate. Thankfully someone on here had a much better solution, which involved buying a 5'x1" strip of flexible magnet with adhesive backing, a 5'x1" strip of velcro with adhesive backing, sticking those two together and velcroing it to the inside of the flap that already has velcro (if any of that makes sense) leaving the magnet surface to stick to the tailgate. I also added a strip of clear vinyl on the top of the tailgate where the magnet sticks to prevent the magnet from rubbing on the paint. The whole thing works great, although I might get a slightly more powerful magnetic strip at some point for a better hold on the interstate. The flap itself is a bit stiff in the winter when the temps drop, but plenty flexible in the summer, but the magnet solution seems to work well year round.

One final test fit of the sliders, after removing some more material in the front corner that would come in contact with the pinch weld over bumps.

20210329_213729.jpg

20210329_213754.jpg

20210329_213828.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  12. Feb 3, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (4/2021) Crunch time. With less than a month away from Moab, I finally got some tires that would give me a little more clearance without needing a lift. I ended up with a set of Mastercraft Courser CXT's in 255/85r16 (33x10, or "tall skinnies / pizza cutters"). After reading through the thread on 255/85r16's on stock offroad suspension, I had originally decided on Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx's, one of the only A/T tires available in that size, most others being M/T. Living with snow and ice for 6 months out of the year, I didn't want to compromise winter traction or live with mud tires daily. My mistake was waiting far too long to order them. About a week after ordering a set of 5, discount tire called to inform me that they could not get the tires in time. After canceling that order, I ended up (somewhat impulsively) ordering the Mastercrafts, not being able to find much in terms of reviews online.

20210423_143939.jpg

20210423_143947.jpg

And mounted. Much beefier than stock.

20210428_102528.jpg

20210428_102545.jpg

20210428_102605.jpg

I had to lose the front OEM mudflaps since the clearance was so tight, but they fit. I did have some very minor rubbing at full lock in reverse on the UCA's, a problem that I think may be limited to the Mastercraft's aggressive side lugs, since it seems most don't have that issue in the 255/85r16 thread. This was much to the (playful) delight of some of my buddies, since I had been spouting off about no rubbing on stock suspension with this size tire for months (thanks TacomaWorld), as they had been trying to talk me into some 285's and a lift, CMC, etc. Again, budget in mind, I was just trying to add some capability before the trip, all those upgrades will come in the future. UCA's will also be added in the future, not only to help the tire from rubbing them, but also as there is very minimal clearance at the firewall/cab mount side and plenty of room to increase the caster (mostly by way of adjusting the LCA's to get the tire away from the firewall to my understanding) to clear better.

20210428_103336.jpg

20210428_103405.jpg

SweetCaroline and DustyMcTaco like this.
  13. Feb 3, 2022 at 12:39 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (5/2021) Super crunch time. I ordered a full set of steel skid plates from RCI (engine, transmission, transfer case) to protect the important bits under the truck. I was a little worried on the lead time when I ordered them (in March I believe), as they were set to be shipped about two weeks before our trip. I called RCI and inquired about potentially picking them up on our way through Colorado to Utah and installing them when we got there, but it turned out to not be an issue as they shipped and arrived on time about two weeks before our departure. I also opted for the flat transfer case skid, as opposed to the one that dips down for the exhaust crossover, which meant the exhaust had to be rerouted. Since my welder buddy was busy finishing up his own truck, I opted for a local exhaust shop to do the reroute, showing them pictures from a thread on here and pointing out exactly how I wanted it run while it was on their lift. Not the prettiest, but it should work fine for now.

Shown here without the transfer case skid installed.

20210503_092342.jpg

I also decided to add a fire extinguisher in the bed, which I was able to mount using a bolt for the passenger side cubby (darn Toyota for getting rid of the driver side cubby). My dog, inspecting my work. It worked out where it's relatively out of the way but still accessible with stuff in the bed, and it rests at the perfect height to be supported on the bed mat on the bottom. I'd like to figure out a better mounting solution inside the cab for quicker access, but this should work for now.

20210508_141940.jpg

My sliders had been done for months at this point, minus the coating. I thought about rattle canning them at this point due to time, but since I had them on/off the truck for test fitting (and my buddies white Tacoma's sliders) about a half dozen times, I decided I wanted them coated, installed, and not thought about again for the foreseeable future. So I ended up having them sandblasted, and picked up some two part epoxy primer and raptor liner, and headed out to my buddies house who fortunately had a paint booth in his garage to do the coating.

20210508_155057.jpg

Bare metal after sandblasting shown here, followed by two coats of epoxy primer, which were allowed to dry overnight, followed by the raptor liner the next day (2-3 coats, can't remember off hand).

20210508_155104.jpg

After raptor lining.

20210509_154615.jpg

20210509_154623.jpg

Had to take the 4runner out in the woods for a joy ride afterwards.

20210509_161654.jpg

We had originally decided on a two week trip to Moab, one week of messing around on some trails in Colorado and then one week in Moab. The 4runner and Silver Sky Tacoma ended up being the only trucks to do the Colorado portion since most people had a tough time getting two weeks off work, so the rest of us decided to meet them in Moab. They ended up doing the Rimrocker trail from Montrose, Colorado to Moab, Utah. I'd like to do the Rimrocker trail on a future trip.

My buddies dad with the FJ, doing some final mods to his truck (the night before we left, lol).

20210512_204100.jpg

SweetCaroline likes this.
  14. Feb 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (5/2021) Moab bound!

At some random gas station on the way, we made my co-pilot ride the dino.

20210514_091501.jpg

Stopped by Loveland Pass, CO for some epic views. It was only my truck and the white Tacoma in convoy, as most of us had left at various times as work would allow on Thursday, the plan being to meet in Moab on Saturday.

20210514_131537.jpg

20210514_131836.jpg

20210514_132844.jpg

20210514_132934.jpg

We actually arrived in Moab a day earlier than expected (Friday) after pushing hard for two long days of driving, the views were already like nothing I had ever seen.

20210514_183234.jpg

Side note: We took a boatload of pictures/videos on this trip. Probably in the thousands among the entire group of us (3 4runners, 3 Tacomas, 1 FJ, 13 total people). Afterwards, we uploaded most of them to a group shared Google Drive folder, which has since disappeared, so I don't have access to all of the photos, mostly just what I was able to take and some other photos that people sent me. If I ever get access to all of the photos again, I may upload some to supplement this section, but more than likely I'll be adding photos of our upcoming 2022 trip instead.

Since some of us had little wheeling experience (3 out of 7 vehicles, myself included), we started slow and worked our way up on the difficulty level of trails. My cousin (white 4runner, lives in Utah) previously mentioned was a big help in planning out the order of trails to ramp up in difficulty, along with the Moab trail guide. We started off easy on Saturday (after setting up camp at the KOA) with Long Canyon.

20210515_173359.jpg

20210515_174917.jpg

20210515_175404.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

On Sunday, we tackled Courthouse Rock. Not a bad spot to stop for lunch.

20210516_132910.jpg

20210516_134426.jpg

And back at camp.

20210516_170547.jpg

15. Feb 3, 2022 at 1:29 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (5/2021) Moab continued.

On Monday, we tried out Fins and Things. I would say this is a must do trail (one of the most popular in Moab, for good reason). Lots of slickrock with sandpaper like grip. Also my first trail damage of the trip, as I busted one of my rear bumper corner caps (the chrome bit) as I was slowly navigating a rocky section without a spotter, coming off a ledge, trying to ease on the brakes, I accidentally tapped the gas and came down with a loud thud.

186479542_3341451792624274_8497505565345476090_n.jpg

In hindsight, it was the best thing that happened to me on the trip, as I was able to throw caution to the wind and start taking harder lines afterwards without fear of messing up my (rear) bumper any more. The harder lines on Fins and Things will definitely test your approach and departure angles.

20210517_145211.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

16. Feb 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (5/2021) Moab continued.

On Tuesday, we decided to tackle Top of the World, which I think was everybody's favorite trail of the trip and the one we all agreed to do again if (when) we go back, can't beat the iconic view at the top.

Starting out at the bottom. Myself and the Silver 4runner took the bypass, which ended up being a tricky series of switchbacks followed by a narrow rock climb at the end, of which the 4runner took some body damage when he slide into a rock on his drivers side doors above the sliders. I would avoid the left most bypass that we took and main route the green 4runner is taking if you are relatively stock, and opt for the middle (center) bypass.

20210518_115149.jpg

This trail was by far the hardest of the trip for me, particularly having a manual transmission. The climb to the top of the world is full of stepped ledges, which proved challenging in the manual. I must have killed it 6-7 times, trying to slowly approach ledges, then time the gas right when my tire hit the front of them to climb. The truck also didn't like to start after killing it in these situations, I had to hold the gas to the floor when I turned it over to get it going again. In hindsight, clutch start cancel would have been useful to use on those to let the starter motor climb the steps, or I need gears (4.88's or 5.29's) or a dual transfer case to slow down and have more control climbing in the future. Could also probably use a driver mod, which would be cheaper, lol. I wish I had a few more pictures of this portion, going down was similarly difficult, although I could ride 1st gear and the brakes, but I rode my rear hitch plenty coming down.

Finally at the top.
    20210518_134608.jpg

20210518_135007.jpg

20210518_140044.jpg

20210518_140432.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

This view was the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life. Roughly 1500-2000' straight down off the ledge, even walking within 20' of the edge was enough for my heart to be beating out of my chest. Pictures and videos don't do it justice. Go here if you can, it's worth it. I was able to make it with a mostly stock Tacoma, good spotters and a good line can get you there.

On the way back down.

20210518_152547.jpg

20210518_154954.jpg

20210518_155037.jpg

20210518_160658.jpg

And back on the highway.

20210518_192809.jpg

17. Feb 3, 2022 at 2:07 PM
    doublethebass

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    I've been eyeing that one up. Gotta get there sooner than later.

18. Feb 3, 2022 at 2:08 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (5/2021) Moab continued.

On Wednesday, we had a bit of a "choose your own adventure" sort of day. Some people decided to stick around town and check out the shops. A few others played a round of golf at the local course. For those of us that still wanted to wheel (or at least ride along with the big 4runner, like myself) that meant Poison Spider.

20210519_115350.jpg

We only took the 4runner and the Silver Sky Tacoma with us, which was a good choice in hindsight. We ended up meeting a Jeep at the beginning of the trail, who had lost his trail buddy early on going up Poison Spider to a broken and leaking oil pan from coming down too hard on a rock. He asked if he could tag along with us for the day, the more the merrier.

Until a broken CV axle on the 4runner slowed us down.

20210519_123227.jpg

20210519_130033.jpg

Luckily during some of our winter excursions in the months prior, we had broken 2 CV axles (one on the Silver Sky Tacoma, one on the 4runner) to know that we should bring a few spares. All in all, we had the CV swapped out for a new one in about 40 minutes. Thankfully we had decided to go in May when the heat isn't too oppressive, but it was still hot working conditions.

Not a bad place to break down. The CV axle met it's match on the climb on the right side of the photo below, trying to take the hard line. Without lockers, we had some wheel hopping that ended with a loud "pop".

20210519_133455.jpg

All fixed up, we continued on.

20210519_150834.jpg

Until we were stopped again on the way back down, trying to take the "extra" hard line. Had the front rock not been there, we could have slid the rear bumper off the rocks, but we got pinched between the rear getting hung up and the front skid plate. Partly poor spotting on my part, as we were trying to keep the rear passenger tire on top of the ledge, we ended up having to winch the truck somewhat sideways to get it off the ledge and over the rock in front.

20210519_163229.jpg

20210519_163333.jpg

Don (in the Jeep) and his wife decided they liked the way we wheeled, and decided to join us on some trails for the remainder of our trip. Not sure if that was the best idea in hindsight, more to follow...

geoyota760 and Brandon.C.H like this.
  19. Feb 3, 2022 at 2:18 PM
    TehWanderer

TehWanderer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern WI
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD Sport
    TRD Pro Skid RRW RR5-V 255/80/17 RCI Trans/tansfer case Skid Custom Sliders Eibach 2.0 lift Icon RXT soft topper
    Couple shots of you going to and down top of the worldC8522D9F-E2D9-4738-85B1-6EF5378971D0.jpgDE9175B3-1F93-4A70-B466-0B4EEA4D2572.jpg
    4D81C901-2E88-4519-8C50-2B194F65F28E.jpg 3699B1E5-CE64-449B-A996-861C7CFAA6FD.jpg

20. Feb 9, 2022 at 1:22 PM
    TacoGranny

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (5/2021) Moab continued.

On Thursday, we decided to try Hell's Revenge. I was a bit intimidated by this trail for months leading up to the trip, but after doing Top of the World, I felt it was doable. There were plenty of bypasses to choose from, so most of the more difficult obstacles could be avoided.

The one major obstacle is optional, called Hell's Gate. It's a loop off to the side of the trail, with the gate being the exit to the loop, a giant and steep v-notch. At this point in the trip I was feeling pretty confident, despite seeing numerous Youtube videos of people tumbling down the gate backwards. As we approached the loop entrance, which is a steep downhill (that in hindsight, some would say is harder than going up the gate itself), our group was surprised to see a 5th gen 4runner coming up the wrong way, and looked to be in a pretty precarious tipping/rollover situation. He had gone down to do Hell's Gate, but decided against it and turned around, which is not recommended. After some winching/spotting, we got him safely back out of the gate entrance. While all of this was happening, I elected to go check out the gate for myself. Seeing it in person, I decided that my $40k truck didn't need to be rolled on it's roof, so I backed out.

20210520_115646.jpg

All was good until my cousin went in his 4runner, I believe he went 3rd after the 4runner on 37's and the Silver Sky Tacoma. Tough to see from this angle, but he teetered on three wheels, while his passenger side mirror was a few inches off the side of the rocks.

20210520_115841.jpg

After some help getting some weight on his driver sliders to keep it from tipping (which in hindsight wasn't the best idea, people get launched and/or crushed when vehicles roll) and some reversing to pick a better line, we got him through it. At this point I was definitely glad that I didn't attempt it. My biggest concern would be panicking with the clutch pedal when things got dicey.

Next up was Don (our new Jeep friend) in his shorter wheelbase Jeep.

20210520_120705.jpg

Unfortunately, Don had an issue in the same place as the 4runner before him, and instead of stopping in time (him driving a manual), he ended up rolling it onto it's side/roof. It quickly became a scary situation, as he was flipped, when we asked him if he was alright. Him (and his wife) were fine for the moment, but he relayed in a tense voice that gasoline was clearly leaking from his engine bay, and was right near his face, and to please hurry in getting him tipped back over.

Luckily, we had some foresight that this was a possibility, and sent the 4runner and Tacoma up the gate first, which both had winches. A few minutes later, we had him flipped upright and out of harms way. (I didn't stop to think about taking pictures while he was flipped as it was a tense situation, but more on that later).

And tipped back up the right way.

20210520_121951.jpg

20210520_122036.jpg

20210520_122044.jpg

At one point, after he was tipped back up, I asked Don again how he was doing. His response, "Heavy Metal Brotha!" made my trip. Don can fucking wheel, and from what his wife was telling us afterwards, this wasn't the first time they had damaged doors/mirrors in this Jeep by getting a little overzealous.

My truck, safe in it's parking spot above Hell's Gate (minus my bumper corner lost to Fins and Things).

20210520_124933.jpg

I don't actually remember a lot of the rest of the trail on Hell's Revenge since Hell's Gate was so intense, but it was a pretty fun trail on par with Top of the World and Fins and Things.

Again, the views were incredible.

20210520_143851.jpg

Don was able to get his Jeep going again after letting it sit for awhile for all the oil to drain down, and my cousin had some rotopax with spare gas that he was able to replenish his (now nearly empty) tank with, so we continued wheeling.

20210520_154311.jpg

Last area, before the exit.

20210520_161359.jpg

On Friday, everybody was in wind-down mode. Some decided to head back to avoid leaving just Saturday/Sunday for the return drive home (something like 22 hours). A few of us decided to try the trail called Rainbow Terrace, which was more scenic than challenging. I ended up riding along in the 4runner again.

20210521_141404.jpg

20210521_143354.jpg

Don and his wife ended up tagging along with us. While we were heading to the trailhead, we were traveling down a dirt road, 4runner out in front, when all of a sudden we saw a wheel and tire bouncing next to us off the road and rolling down a sidehill. Confused for a few seconds, we stopped, and looked behind us to see the rest of the convoy stopped as well. Don had lost his driver side rear wheel going around a corner, and it had rolled several hundred yards at this point down to a fence line at the bottom of the valley. We drove down the valley to retrieve the wheel in the 4runner. When we got back to inspect the damage, a decent part of the brake drum had come apart on impact, which took some patience and skilled hands to finagle back together. I think we found all of the lug nuts (somehow) on the road, and discovered that they were part of the problem, as they didn't have nearly enough engagement on the lugs. I'm guessing that this, combined with the rear driver wheel being the one that was most stressed during the flip over the day prior contributed to the wheel coming off. I also didn't take any photos of this portion, I wasn't really thinking about it at the time.

After Rainbow Terrace, we were heading back towards camp and I noticed a two track side trail that looked interesting. Since it was still relatively early in the day, we took a detour, and I'm glad we did.

20210521_151537.jpg

Creepy alien looking rock art.

20210521_151913.jpg

20210521_152056.jpg

20210521_152150.jpg

After this stop, Don told us about a spot near town that also had some rock art, so we went and checked that out as well.

20210521_163658.jpg

20210521_163713.jpg

On Saturday, we made our way home.

20210522_112549.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top