1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thompson Auto Ordnance AOX10.5-01 AR Pistol

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Devious6, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sep 4, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 [OP] Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I won this in a raffle supporting a Veterans organization - picked it up today at the Kahr Arms Tommy Gun Warehouse in Greely, PA - Kahr's retail and production facility. Kahr, which owns Thompson/Auto Ordnance and Desert Eagle is consolidating all of it's manufacturing and sales under one roof there in Greely.

They entered into the AR line this past spring. I know the owner, Justin Moon, and talked with him a bit today when I picked up the pistol. Most of the parts are manufactured in-house - a few are resourced through other manufacturers (like the blade which is made by shockwave). They sell primarily through the retail store and some dealers who are carrying them. Justin said sales are good and growing. One of the issues I found after winning the raffle was that there's virtually no info on the AR line to be found on their web site - and just a few pictures on their Facebook page. It is manufactured in .223 Wylde with a 1/8 stainless barrel.

After getting it home, I looked over the safety manual and took it down to my range on our property - one of the benefits of 57 acres in the country. Hit it with some CLP, flipped up the sights and spent some time adjusting the sights - metal flip-ups that come with the pistol, as does the angled foregrip. This was the first time firing an AR pistol for me...dang that thing is loud. It was like being back in Field Artillery, muzzle blast and all. I put 20 rounds through it as I got used to the sights, then loaded 30 rounds and pounded them downrange. The pistol functioned perfectly.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it. Not a fan of the blade - tends to cut into the shoulder a bit so I will probably swap that out with an SB Tactical SBA3. The blade puts my nose right up against the charging handle and too close to the rear sight for comfort for me. Not bad for $20 in raffle tickets.

Now I need to run some more rounds through it.

Thompson AR 6.jpg Thompson AR 7.jpg Thompson AR 9.jpg Thompson AR 10.jpg Thompson AR 11.jpg Thompson AR 8.jpg Thompson Ar 3.jpg hompson AR 4.jpg

2. Sep 26, 2018 at 6:56 AM
    MAG GRY TACO15

MAG GRY TACO15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road
    Same crap everyone else got
    fyi, you can loosen the screw on the bottom of the blade and adjust the length of pull back to extend it. There buffer tube will have dimples in it to lock the screw into the next position and tighten down. Might be a good solution until you get another brace. Good looking stick, and can't be upset about a $20 gun haha. Well done!

Devious6[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 29, 2018 at 3:18 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Thanks! I did try the adjustment - turns out they use a straight undimpled tube so you end up cranking the screw into it every time you make an adjustment. I happened on a guy on another forum who sold me an SBA 3 at cost so I've now swapped the brace out. Best $20 raffle ticket I've bought!

IMG_4337.jpg

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  4. Dec 23, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    RoccoTaco18

RoccoTaco18 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD off road
    I just purchased one of these not knowing much but I thought the price was good for an AR pistol. Was wondering if you have found any more info on this gun, price, reliability, etc. can’t find any info on them anywhere! Thanks so much!

Devious6[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 24, 2018 at 6:07 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    There is very little info out there on them - even the Auto Ordnance site doesn't list them. Kahr/AO/Desert Eagle don't put a lot of money into their web marketing for some reason. I live fairly close to their factory and know the owner - they seem happy with a slow growth at this point as they consolidate all of their manufacturing at the Greely location.

RoccoTaco18[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 24, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    SJC3081

SJC3081 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wappinger NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4x4
    I’d dump that muzzle brake. The noise and blast must be deafening. Put a A2 or Smith Enterprise Vortex on it.

7. Dec 24, 2018 at 6:22 AM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    Very Nice prize, .223/5.56 tends to be very aggressive out of the short barrels. Maybe look into a blast diffuser to direct all excess muzzle energy forward.
    I was in a carbine course, the guy next to me had a sbr .223 and with ear pro it was a shockwave every time he fired. I ended up moving it got so bad.
    I just built my first pistol in .300 and fired it with minimal concussion from the muzzle.
    I only have the break on it.
    I pit the SB mini brace on and its very comfortable, while it is all 90° edges, it rotates just a tiny bit when at the shoulder1223181554.jpg
    1223181555.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Devious6[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Dec 24, 2018 at 11:52 PM
    wood714

wood714 Got any Quaaludes?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 V6 SR5
    Check out the Tailhook Mod 1 brace. Best looking one I've found, very minimalist, and no plastic. It opens up on one side to kinda hook around your arm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Devious6[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top