1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

thought it was pedal squeek, its not

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by danteisme, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Nov 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    occasionally i will hear/feel my clutch pedal squeek, not very often though. the other day driving with my window down, i heard a noise that sounded just like the squeek from the clutch pedal(what i always thought the soudn was). its coming from underneath my truck everytime i depress the clutch pedal. its loud enough i can hear it with the truck running, and with traffic driving by. hard to tell where exactly its coming from, i'm going to assume maybe the slave cylinder? anyone else ever have this problem? i hope its not something internal on the tranny, although it might help explain why its damn near impossible to get into gear sometimes...

2. Nov 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    haha the elusive throwout bearing squeel. I think everyone with a 6spd has the same problem. Mine does it occassionally. I'm used to it though since my accord I had before my taco did the same thing.

There is two sides to that complaint. Personally I don't really care about it since its just a noise and its nothing mechanically detrimental to worry about. I put 100k miles on my accord with a squeaky throwout bearing and never had a problem with it. On the other hand there are many people on here that have taken their tacos to the dealer and had the whole transmission replaced only to have the squeak come back a few months later.

WORST CASE SCENARIO is for some crazy reason your throwout bearing may fall apart and cause your truck to not come out of gear so you might be looking at replacing the pressure plate and flywheel. Keep in mind thats just a stretch and has only happened in a very small percentage of vehicles.

Otherwise...just deal with it like I do :D It adds character

3. Nov 16, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    It's not just 6 spd throw out bearing/housing issue. I have 5 spd 2.7l & can hear it under the truck when in drive thru or somewhere where a wall bounces the sound back at ya. I'm going with slave cylinder noise. See no leaks, brake fluid resevoir is still clear & full so it can keep doing it. Not chasing it, especially when others have & it stays good for 5 minutes then back at it...from what I've seen posted.

4. Nov 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    The slave cylinder is only going to squeak once when you push in the pedal and once when you let it out. if its a constant squealing/chirping sounds then it's the throwout bearing

5. Nov 16, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    thats why im leaning towards slave cylinder, its not a constant squeak only when depressing or releasing the clutch pedal. should this thing be making all this noise at only 49K miles?

6. Nov 16, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Mine's been making that sound for the past year too. Only makes the noise when the pedal is being pressed in or released. Not a constant chirping. It hasn't gotten worse and I haven't had time/money to deal with it yet.

7. Nov 16, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    i wonder if its worth going to the dealership since i'm still under the powertrain warranty, not much time left under that warranty.

8. Nov 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    x2

9. Nov 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    The squeek is most likely coming from inside the large rubber boot (the one the pink marking is pointing to). Get a can of White Lithium Grease ($3 at Advance Auto Parts) and spray it inside there. I took the boot off and sprayed the hell out of everything. It hasn't squeeked in two weeks.

[​IMG]

10. Nov 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    good idea i'll have to give that a try. i sprayed some grease where the ball of the slave hits the fork a while back, i thought maybe the noise was coming from some fricition there. noooope haha. if the weather is good i'll try sprayin that after work today. thanks, i'll update later

11. Nov 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I had my girlfriend push in the clutch while I sprayed, just so the spray could get absolutely everywhere. Try that too.

12. Nov 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    Be careful spraying grease. Grease + clutch disc = slipping.

13. Dec 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    just thought id update this. that grease worked for the day then the noise came back. i also noticed that since its colder now, when i depress the clutch pedal, it takes its good ole time returning to its original height. im really thinking the slave is going bad now. i'm goin to call the stealership tomorrow and set up an appt.

14. Dec 8, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Hmmm? Let us know how that goes. Thought after some posts that it could be the pivot point inside the boot but if it just comes back the very next day then not gonna mess with that. Still have about 36k left on my drivetrain warranty. If it's just sound, I don't care but if it will eventually be problem then I want Toyota to fix it for free. Oh, no strange pedal action on mine even when 20 degrees the other day.

15. Dec 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    lets say it is the slave cylinder, is that something toyota would cover under the drivetrain warranty?

16. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Let's say they better, it's part of the tranny which is def part of the drivetrain. Engine, tranny, driveshaft & rear axle. They've already done rr main seal/gearbox oil one time & rr axle seals/brk pads/gear oil(since the seals ruined the brk pads) another time on mine so far. It also is developing a very very slight oil ooze wear head/block/timing cover meet on passenger side that they'll eventually have to deal with at some point before I get to 100k. Really unimpressed with build quality vs. my 1982 prerunner I flailed on for over 400k for 25 yrs but hey, this ain't then any more.

17. Dec 8, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2.7
    Exact same problem, plus clutch slipping!!
    Dealer can't find anything wrong :facepalm:
    E-mailed Toyota...
    I'm going to keep on bugging SOMEBODY until it's fixed.

BTW - 7500 miles.

18. Dec 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2.7
    Went out to start the truck early this morning, approx. 40 degrees outside.
    Clutch pedal stuck down for a couple seconds then came up real slow.
    I let the truck warm up with the heater on inside.
    After the truck was warm, running in my driveway, the clutch pedal was still real sluggish and stiff. For the first couple miles driving, the pedal was slapping the bottom of my foot, coming up in a slightly delayed manner after depressing the clutch.
    Going back to the dealer tonight.
    Yesterday the dealer said there was a TSB for a bushing but that my truck did not fall in that serial number range.

19. Dec 16, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    truck got dropped off last nite, so hopefully i'll get a call today and i'll update on here as to what they found.

20. Dec 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    so the dealership just called. they said they are still looking at my truck, not sure what the issue is exactly and the lady said they would know more tomorrow and call me tomorrow morning, then she said well maybe not in the morning...maybe more like the afternoon. hahha great, my truck is confusing people

To Top