1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on "Battleship"???

Discussion in 'Military' started by Styx586, May 28, 2012.

1. May 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    So i just got done watching the new movie "Battleship" and I am blown away at how inaccurate and unrealistic it is. I mean, i know it's just a movie but DAMN! They f'd up so much it was completely unbelievable for anyone who has any knowledge about the Navy or ships in general. Any thoughts?

2. May 28, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug
    I thought it was a horrible movie as well. If not for the great special effects and stuff blowing up non-stop, I probably couldn't have sat through it all.

3. May 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Twizter68

Twizter68 AMS1(AW), USN retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Weatherford, TX and Fahad al-Ahmed, Kuwait
    Vehicle:
    08 Crew Cab Prerunner
    Hollywierd has to, by law, screw a lot of things up in a fictional portrayal of the military. The only time they are allowed to be fairly accurate is when they are portraying real events and people.

And they usually screw that up, too.

4. May 28, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I haven't seen it but I know it has Phalanx in it. Being a former Phalanx tech and now a Phalanx engineer, I could care less to see it. LoL

I do hear its absolutely horrible though.

5. May 28, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I lked it. My fiance asked me not to turn our movie veiwing expirience into a lecture prior to seeing it. I did spot alot of innacuracies, and being a machinist mate that worked with 1200# steam boilers, you don't just start those things up in a few minutes like they did. And the fuck up dude wouldn't have made LT that fast for damn sure, let alone be the weapons officer of a fire control system on a destroyer. But it was an entertaining movie.

6. May 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I'm getting ready to take my 10yo son to see this movie today. I'll let you know what I think. I'm sure he'll like it.

7. May 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I thought the movie was good. Lots of action and explosions. Glad I know nothing about Navy ships etc or the movie probably would have been a disappointment. Just a civilian opinion. :cool:

8. May 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    NvrSumR

NvrSumR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    From a movie aspect I liked it. It was entertaining. But being a vet or active duty is a curse for seeing military movies. You will always spot inconsistencies and inaccuracies. I have to tell myself before seeing this type of movie that I'm not going to make it a big deal when I see it, or the entire experience is ruined.

The worse part of the movie for me was Rhianna's character. She's a jack of all trades in the movie. Going out on the zodiac to investigate the unknown structure in the water, then she's doing security looking for an alien on the ship. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Is there anything this woman couldn't do? They should have left with her trying out for the SEALS.

9. May 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    The only things I had a really hard time not being able to get over was all the problems with using the Mighty Mo...

The last time it was used was in the early 90s...Not the 40s

10. May 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    JayDawg

JayDawg Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sterling, Co. via San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package
    4-PIAA 80 Racing Series Off Road Lights, Randy Ellis Design Light Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Rear Leaf TSB, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, fog light mod, more to come...
    From the previews I could tell it would be crap. Actually though, most movies are now crap so I rarely ever go see one now. I think the last movie I saw was Transformers 3 but that was for a few reasons. First, it was in 3-D and I was curious what a modern 3-D movie looked like now days instead of having the red and blue glasses on. Next, my kids were with me and they like the Transformer movies so I wanted to do something with them that they would like and third, Transformers is kind of close to me because I grew up on the Gen 1 toys and cartoons but going into that movie and I knew there would be tons of fake crap and I was right.

11. May 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Completely unrealistic - it wasn't ANYTHING like the game!! :D

12. May 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    gayest movie since broke back mountain.

13. May 29, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
  14. May 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    yes, having spent a few months on air craft carriers and other ships many of the things done in the movie are complete "WTF?! That's impossible" moments. :laugh:

I likes the action though. Then again "the avengers" and all the other comic based movies are also completely unrealistic, but people over look that when talking about "avengers" haha

but since this movie isn't like the comic book based movies, in the aspect that many people really look forward to seeing their childhood cartoon characters come "to life," this movie only has a board game to back it up. Haha and that left way more room to play with, in terms of story line.

crap, typing all that on a phone seems like I'm trying to type a phucking essay. Hahaha, ima go see a physical therapist about my hook thumb now...

15. May 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    People, it was a movie about aliens!! How realistic are aliens?

It was about entertainment. Had they been trying to be historically accurate, yeah, that is an issue.

And none of you mention that a Battleship decommissioned years ago can be fired up and still have weapons on board? Come on people..

I am waiting for the USAF to come out with something that is not uber gay. You guys get this plus others and we get Iron Eagle!! Quit your bitching!

And I am not at all surprised that none of you mentioned how hot the blonder chick was...why does the AF always have to come to y'all's rescue when it comes to that? :)

16. May 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    If it wasn't for the special effects, it would have been pretty bad.

Apparently I joined the wrong service since you can make LT in the Navy in the span of a couple months. :rolleyes:

17. May 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i liked it. i know very very little about those kinda ships. but i even said WTF alot! lol. i have been on one.i was on the Yorktown like2 1/2 3 weeks ago. lol

i know i said WTF when they dropped the one anchor and turned.

18. May 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah i new the hole decommissioned ship don’t have live rounds. that was fucked up. at least act ike they had to get them or something...

19. May 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    enjoyed it. didnt expect to go see a documentary. went to see aliens gettin blown up by ships with big guns. nothing more

20. May 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    NvrSumR

NvrSumR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    This is the mindset I try to have on most military movies anymore.

Products Discussed in

To Top