1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on Bed Liners?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98Tacomav6, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    98Tacomav6

98Tacomav6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 3.4L
    Toolbox.
    The 98 tacoma truck i'm going to pick up this weekend doesn't have a bed liner. I was thinking about just leaving it without one even if the bed is scratched up. My dad said that Line-x and rhino etc. will make it hard to slide things in and out and if there is a tear it's a pain in the rear to rip the stuff out/repair it.

Thoughts? I don't want a plastic one, my friend has one and everything slides all over the place because its slick and it scratches the bed itself.

Thanks, I'm stoked to start working on my first tacoma. Got lots of plans!

P.S. not 100% sure this is the right section, still learning my way around the forums!

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    i just picked up a Herculiner kit, personally i want to protect the paint and prevent rust, plus the black bedliner will make the silver pop :D

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    98Tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 3.4L
    Toolbox.

Ah id like to see some pics when its done if at all possible. I like the look of them, when they're done right and last, at least. :cool:

My trucks black :O

4. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well sorry to say but your Dad is incorrect. Line-X makes several liners depending on what your use will be. They do have a liner that is a little rougher and it is designed to haul loads without them moving i.e. (crate engines, in-ground oil pumps,) etc. There is also the regular version which does allow you to slide objects in and out easily and is smoother. As far as ripping, highly unlikely. This stuff is extremely durable and is applied VERY thick. Anyways here is a picture of my truck Line-Xd over the rails. I get compliments on the bed all time and cosmetic/protection wise this is THE best upgrade I've done to this truck.

[​IMG]

5. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    This answers everything - the thread can now be closed.

Go with Line-X, you will not regret it.

Fink

6. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    I have the plastic one and i can say for free its better than nothing. It has scratched the bed corners and i do fear that the water getting under it will cause it to rust. It does a good job in keeping things like my highlift and boats from damaging the bed it self. I agree that something Rhino liner is a far better choice.

7. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    98Tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 3.4L
    Toolbox.

Thanks, perfect! I didn't think they were all rough/impossible to slide stuff in and out. I was just unsure. There is a line-x shop about 3 miles from my house so when i get the extra money i'm going to run up there and look into it. Did you just tell them you want the regular version plus over the rails. That does like very nice.

8. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    I've had spary in bedliners on my last 4 trucks and I recommend them. As to your dad saying they make sliding things in and out hard I think just the opposite and thus I have used a rubber mat in my trucks. Also if you get a spray in liner make sure it has Ultra Violet protection. That way it stays shiny and won't turn dull and faded. Auto parts stores have touch up liner spray if it ever get damaged.

9. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    98Tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 3.4L
    Toolbox.

Thanks man. yeah i don't think my dad knew what he was talking about. so i wanted to double check here. I think im going to go with line-x. They seem to have the best reviews.

10. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:

Yes. Also remember Line-X is THE most expensive bed liner out there, but don't be tempted by those no name bed liner sprays advertising $249 for the entire bed. There is a difference and I have seen really bad liner spray jobs that cracked, faded, and brittled away. All of them were off name brands. The reason Line-X is so durable is because of the chemical makeup of the formula. Preparation is also a good part of it so make sure the shop is reputable. Price wise I was quoted $399 for the bed in Line-X, $449 for the bed and 1 1/2 inches over the rails.

11. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I thought Rhino Liner was the most expensive? I haven't looked into it for about five years, so things may have changed.

Fink

12. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    98Tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 3.4L
    Toolbox.

Thanks man. I'm going to look into the local shop and make sure i get the UV protection also so it keeps from fading. 500 is pretty high for the bed and rails but i think it is worth it. I'm thinking about line-xing my steel toolbox too. Do they always put those "Line-X" logo's on the beds, or can you tell them you don't want it/remove it yourself? I've seen a few trucks riding around with it on the window and varios parts of the bed, or are those infact the employees vehicles. :confused:.

13. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    The stickers on the windows are just people who are happy with Line-X and want to display it. The actual logo's embossed in the liner inside the truck is what Line-X likes to do on all of their vehicles.

With that being said, it's your money...if you don't want the logo/stickers, tell them not to do it. :thumbsup:

Fink

14. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    98Tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    98 trd 3.4L
    Toolbox.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

15. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    okboatie1

okboatie1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Chula Vista, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner TRD SR5 DCSB
    OME 881's w/Dakar's, Deckplate mod, Debadged, door chime mod, 12V outlets always on,
    The Line-X comes with a lifetime warranty so hopefully you would not need to touch it up yourself...

16. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    ^Great point! Forgot about that. Basically you'll spend a little more for Line-X, but it will be the last bed liner you'll ever put in your truck. Oh and I opted to have no Line-X logo in the bed so just tell them if that's what you want.

17. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    okboatie1

okboatie1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Chula Vista, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner TRD SR5 DCSB
    OME 881's w/Dakar's, Deckplate mod, Debadged, door chime mod, 12V outlets always on,
    ^THIS^ One and done, never have to mess with it.

18. Sep 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    I'm really happy with my Rhino Lining. My dad has one on his F-350 that was put on in 1999 and it has one chip in it from a shovel when we were moving gravel. But it also has a lifetime warranty so they should patch it up if we bothered taking it in. The PO of my truck scratched the hell out of the rails so I had them go over a little more than usual to cover them up and I think it looks great. And as far as things sliding around go, I'd rather have them stay in place then be easy to slide. Thats why I went with the grippy kind.

19. Sep 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I hauled retaining wall blocks in the bed of my truck and it has the Toyota drop in linner and can't even imagine a spray in linner to hold up to that kind of abuse, as they were slid across the linner both loading and unloading.

20. Sep 6, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    You'd be surprised. The Line-X I have is not soft at all, it has the hardness similar to that of black asphalt.

Products Discussed in

To Top