1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on Crawl Control and self recovery

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by nvnv, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Feb 2, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    flyck4

flyck4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma extd. cab 4x4 trd v6
    Bilstien 5100 front lifted 1.25" ome deaver springs in rear rear diff breather relocate kc daylighter on front ham radio
    could pop out the door plunger sensor and unplug it so truck thinks driver lives inside truck and never leaves also no annoying beeping sounds with keys in when you want to listen to music outside.

2. Feb 14, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Hook up the winch you should have installed because you insist on wheeling alone.

That said, it's pretty cool to see those videos of the Marlin Crawler with a tacobox and his 7 trillion to 1 crawl ratio. Of course, that's just a demonstration of the technology and they don't recommend you actually do that.

flyck4 likes this.
  3. Feb 15, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I guess it also depends on if you're talking about actually being ALONE, or just going out with 1 truck. There's still a safety factor if there's more than one person.

I think being the only truck is a LOT different than being truly by yourself. Winching by yourself is, at best, not ideal, and at worst, really stupid.

I certainly get out in the woods to escape people. Not all people though. Just [gestures wildly] most people.

The last one I did was with my wife and her dad (he has a jeep) for the first half. At a certain point we hit the highway and they headed straight home, but I stayed on the trail - I needed more dirt time. It was a non technical trail (3 our of 10 maybe), but people crash and die on the road, so I was still pretty cautious. Gave my wife the GPX of my planned route, and let her know when she should call the cavalry if I didn't show up.

In general, though, I would prefer to go with other people and more than 1 truck not just for the increased safety in numbers thing, but I find it more fun.

photogr4x4 likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    Waynebarkr

Waynebarkr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCLB TRD-OR AT
    I mostly go alone out in the Arizona deserts. (ie myself, nobody else and no other vehicle). I got a Garmin InReach which uses satellites to communicate so you always have a signal (instead of cell phone towers) that sends my location every 10 minutes to my wife (or anybody else) so I can be found if I don't check in. Costs about $350 and has a minimum $15 monthly fee.

You can also send texts on it (but is like using and old-school cell phone where you have to push the number buttons multiple times to get the right letter. If I get really stuck I can text my wife and get her to get me a tow operator. Also connects by bluetooth to my cell phone so I generally use that to type in my texts.

It also has an SOS button on it that will let an emergency call center know you are in deep s**t if you are. The Garmin SOS call center will communicate with you by text and they will contact 911 or get a helicopter etc. etc. out to you if you really need it (that can get really expensive though as in tens of thousands of dollars . . . but if you really need it . . .). This feature is useful even if you are not traveling alone and a real emergency occurs.

I also carry recovery equipment and an extensive first aid kit.

Bottom line is I like being alone in the wild and this gives me and my wife a feeling of security if something goes really wrong.

jbrandt likes this.
  5. Apr 4, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    Speedbird

Speedbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Couch
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-OR
    That would be impossib....

plurpimpin and Rome604[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Apr 14, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    Strostkovy

Strostkovy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    White 98 Tacoma
    Pretty sure people have done this for quite a while just putting the transfer case in low and letting the clutch out. Different approach, same concept.

Products Discussed in

To Top