1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on elderly drivers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by derekabraham, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I just think we need real drivers training like they have in Germany with the Autobahn having parts that don't have speed limits and it is considered one of the safest highways in the world. To get my license I had to do, I think, 6 hours with an instructor and all he did was tell me everything that the book told me. I got my real driving classes when I did a racing school at the track in my Dad's car where they taught me not only how to drive fast on the track but how to avoid accidents, other cars, things on the road, etc. I also did offensive driving classes where they showed me how to avoid the accidents and stuff with cones and slick tracks where they made the rear end break loose and I had to control it.

We just need better driving classes. As for elderly I believe that they, along with everyone else, need to be retested for book knowledge at least when they renew and maybe make renewal periods every 1-2 years rather than every 5(?). My grandmother drove herself to church every Sunday and to the store every Thursday up until the day she died at 87 never giving us a reason to take her license my grandfather however we had to take his truck when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and it got to the point where he wanted to drive around at midnight and once drove all the way to Columbia only to be lost and the fine LEO's of cola picked him up thinking he was drunk by the way he was driving because he didn't know what the street signs meant.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    So when a person is driving drunk and gets pulled over its a DUI right?? Well elderly drivers should get a DWOAF..."Driving While Old As Fuck"!

An then sentenced to the death penalty :D

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    I have seen before an elderly driver going 30 mph on a summer day and clear and clean roads with a speed limit of 65 mph, I do not think that is safe.

But I agree with what you are saying, just not to an extreme. (which it sounds like you were saying because of "as long as they are driving safely")

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My vote plus TF sees it first hand every day!

OMG :eek: I would get tested in just a few years.
    Like to see the look on the scorer's face climbing in the tundra lol...burnrubber..just joking of course ;)

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Exactly what I was thinking, except on #6. A special permit to go as fast as you want? Sounds like a horrible idea, even dangerous. You have specially trained drivers going faster than traffic and weaving in and out of traffic. Same road you have people who don't have that special training with a different speed limit and different rules. People can't be trusted to handle "reasonable and prudent" speeds properly. If you tell them they can go 100mph, they'll try to go 100mph as much as possible, not just when it's "safe." Also driver training and vehicle standards are only 2/3rds of it. Roads aren't engineered for vehicles going 100mph. Curves aren't banked for it, lower grades of asphalt are used, and roads just aren't maintained for it. Faster traffic = higher maintenance costs and most states can't fix their current road issues. Introducing new ones will not help.

As for old drivers... meh. I've done stupid, inattentive stuff while driving. I did lots of stupid stuff when I was 16 and learning to drive. And when I'm old I bet I'll still do stupid stuff. When I'm not comfortable doing the speed of traffic it'll be time to hand my keys off to someone else. And if I don't the state should take away my license.

7. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    A major study done at the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute reported that drivers under 21 were more likely to be involved in accidents than those 75 or older. Accident rates dropped with increasing age, reaching a minimum from age 30 to age 65.

Edit:

Lest someone say that there are more young drivers than old, which is why their numbers are higher, the data reported were per-capita rates, not absolute numbers.

8. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Blueitrgsr

Blueitrgsr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gainesville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4wd
    Some bilsteins, OME 885's, and an AAL.
    A buddy of mine was killed on Monday. Making a left turn on a motorcycle, an elderly woman ran the red light and hit him. He was thrown back into the lanes where he came from and was run over. The woman's excuse. She said the red light was not bright enough.

That being said I have no problem with elderly driving as long as they still can.

9. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    IMO ... more tests are needed for 3 groups: ... (1) Very young ... (2) Very old ... (3) New drivers from other countries. ... :D

*** And set up road blocks .. and if you have a cell phone in the car and/or no insurance .. they take your cell & car .. and cane your azz in the public square. .. :eek: .. :D

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Wow, sorry for your loss.

11. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    I agree with most of what is said here, but at least here where I live, before doing something like what is suggested in this thread, there is a need for better public transportation. Note: I said here, places I've visited in the states are better than here on that matter

12. Apr 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    wow, sorry to hear about that. that's rough. It sucks she blamed the light instead of owning up to her own incompetence.

my biggest thing with the young vs old accident rate is WHY the young vs old get into accidents. Young drivers (specifically high schoolish range) crash usually due to lack of experience (or common sense) or doing stupidly dangerous shit that they dont think about the consequences untill after they have fucked up big time. old people cause wrecks due to their painfully slow reaction time, bad eye sight, general forgetfulness, and overall impaired cognitive ability. Old people (not all, just the bad drivers as pertaining to the topic) just seem to be totally oblivious to everything around them.

I think that every time you renew your license and after a certain age a driving test a regular driving test should be required. Its amazing how many people just don't remember basic rules of the road and right always from driving school. People just seem to make up their own rules and drive according to how they think it should be. The test for elderly people wouldn't test driving skill as much as it would test for them just being all there so they weren't driving obliviously and being able to react quick enough to avoid accidents.
    ya, all those are extremely ridiculous and way too harsh. they seem fine until you have to deal with them, then you will be pulling your hair out. and having a special "go fast" permit? how does that help anything? Just because someone has a go fast license doesn't stop the 75 year old lady from pulling out in front of him while going 100+. Having some people that can go as fast as they want while others have to stay below a speed limit is going to do nothing but cause trouble and accidents

13. Apr 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    :rofl:
    Im 63 it's been long time now but no ticket in over 15 years, I like to jump the interstate at 1 am for a 100 mph run :eek: I think if you cant get the heart pumping from time to time you are already dead.. Love to see the very young driving while beating on the GD cell ph..:mad: Too bad to me you cant do a head shot:cool: on them for the home team and be done with it... Jim

14. Apr 19, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    After 60 driving requirements should be raised and they elderly should get tested every year. My mom is over 60 and I tell her almost every day she shouldn't be driving. She is 'scared' of everything on the road and drives very, very timid. Scares the shit out of me when she is doing 15 under the speed limit on the freeway.

15. Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    We get a lot of old seasonal residents (aka snow birds) here in Florida, and during the winter it is a pain because you always have to think for them too.
    However, that being said, there are a lot of drivers of all ages that do not belong on the road. I personally think 16 is too young and immature to be operating a vehicle. I know I will catch hell for saying that, but I know how my buddies were at 16. I grew up on a farm and have been driving since about age 6, and driving 18-wheelers with corn to the silos since about age 12. My dad gave me good driving instructions and did not give me the option to mess up. You pay attention while you drive, or you don't drive.
    There should be better driving education (not sure how it will be regulated) and I think even though it will definately not be popular, testing should not be just after a certain age, but every 2 years for everyone.

16. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
  17. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    gotta blow that carbon out of the cylinders too:D

18. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
  19. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    ^ This. There are terrible drivers in all age groups. You have to drive like you are invisible.

20. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Jesus! I just watched your video. Amazing how much damage can be inflicted so fast. I hope your recovery continues to get better.

9 years ago my father was bicycling, and was hit from behind by an 83 year old woman who just sort of drifted onto the shoulder where he was. She was driving a car (Chevy Lumina?) and he was on a road bike. His left ass cheek rode up her fender to where the antenna was which tore through him. He then got thrown 30-35 feet (Measured from the bike tire rubber from being run over, to where the pool of blood was) and landed sort of head first, crumpling over himself. He broke 3 vertebrae in his neck and is now paralyzed for life. If he hadn't had his helmet on, it probably would have killed him. Technically he is considered a quad, but he has enough feeling in his arms that he can roll his own wheelchair.

The 83 year old woman? Well, she's dead now, but her excuse was that she never even saw him.... He was always in flourescent clothing when he rode. He was a golfer, cyclist, runner, swimmer, tennis player.... Now, he rolls and it takes him 1/2 hour to get dressed.

1 year later my father-in-law was t-boned by a speeding teenager who ran a red light. Luckily he only had collapsed lungs and a host of other issues that he is recovering from. But, it forced his retirement from teaching because he looses his voice if he lectures for more than a couple minutes.

Old, young, drunk, stupid, distracted... it doesn't really matter. Wrecks will happen for any number of reasons. We'll all bitch about it, but who of you will actually DO something that will set in motion a change in the laws? I have not.

Challenge issued.

Products Discussed in

To Top