1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on SKS Rifles?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by luk8272, Jan 26, 2009.

?

Buy them or leave them

1. Buy

55 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Leave

32 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Badges, Rear Leaf TSB(if that counts as a mod), Bed Mat, WeatherTech's, Bilstein 5100 in the front set to 1.75" K&N Drop in
    I like mine. Don't use it to hunt but I do take it to the range from time to time.

2. tootall

tootall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 5 Lug Reg Cab Magnetic Gray
    Secondary Filter Removed, AVS In line vent visors, pop n lock, extang tri-fold tonneau, Fat Bob's 5 lug lift kit, Intermittent wiper stalk, mdshooter.com sticker
    love mine. had it for a few years and its still my favorite rifle. Im a big fan of anything C&R:D

yugo sks.jpg

3. luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k HID heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Thats one helluva transformation!

4. oldstick

oldstick Middle Age Member

Member:
    I do like mine also. Like others, I bought it on a lark because they were cheap, I think $100 at the time. It was before the so called "ban" in 94 so it is a Norinco with the spike bayonet still attached.

I have shot it very little and I have considered getting rid of it several times, but then I take it out to the range and I get reminded how fun it is to shoot. Strong, accurate, reliable and very little recoil.

It is still ugly as ever, but I always heard not to modify if there might be plans to resell it.

5. kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    bahahaha

6. Dmonkey

Dmonkey Drop it Drop it Low

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN140
    Magnaflow custom cat back. 5/6 drop with:Beefed Weld in Notch, 3 Inch blocks, Qa1 plates. QA1 racing coilover modified to fit Tacoma. Toxic rear shocks and OEM prerunner leaf springs with middle spring removed. K&N drop in filter
    just buy a saiga, you get the 7.62 round and you dont have to worry about it being assembled with a file in china lol

7. luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k HID heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Where do you think I learned to spell banana like that from? lol.

8. 0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    I have had six SKS over the years, down to just three Norincos now. One (not pictured) is unfired and still in cosmoline. The Paratrooper is still one of my favorite guns to this very day.

I routinely use SKS for hunting hog. The Norinco pictured above the Para shot 2.25" @ 100 using irons with Prvi PPU FMJ. It's got a drop-free bolt, extended mag release, Tech Sights aperture, Kivaari trigger, Choate brake, 8:4 chamber, modified FSB, and more. Note the detachable mag with the closed bolt.

[​IMG]

Here's a cell phone pic of the "Pig Rig" SKS with the modified drop-free bolt holding a fully loaded Tapco 20 with the bolt closed and no round chambered. The drop free bolt mod is the only way to go if you want to use detachable mags. Also, I've had this gun for 10 years and it has easily fired 8k-10k rounds and still shoots better than some new guns I've had. The only things I've replaced in it are the springs and the recoil buffer.

[​IMG]

If I didn't have better rifles for the job, I'd feel very comfortable hunting deer and any other deer-sized game inside 150 yards with an SKS. With that said, I'm extremely familiar with the guns and the 7.62x39 cartridge, so YMMV.

9. Donjello

Donjello Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab 4x4 2.7Ltr. beat to hell
    custom hood latch, wooden front bumper w/t custom grill.
    You stole those rifles if they are in decent condition. Regardless of what others say they are worth every bit of $250 each. The only "new" sks's available are Yugo's and they are going for around $300. These rifles were ridiculously under priced years ago. Now learn how to clean them and make sure the front site is adjusted properly. My sks's start jamming after about 100rds without cleaning and lubing.

10. Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    X2
    If you used it to shoot at some of you're enemies, you'll appreciate how good they shoot

11. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    While I agree with everything said here, I put hundreds of rounds through mine at a time with no jams whatsoever. Hell I printed this 1.4" 3-shot group at 75 yards last weekend using Golden Tiger from my Norinco "Pig Rig" and there were already about 300 rounds down the pipe that day. How many rounds have you fired? You should replace the springs every 3,000 rounds or so or you may start experiencing some failures. Some older/more heavily used SKS (or ones that have unknown round counts through them) are usually good as new after replacing the springs.

[​IMG]

12. blendedfamily

blendedfamily Well-Known Member

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)
    Vehicle:
    '06 Taco / 08 CBR 1oooRR
    I've had a couple of SKS's, and I like them. They are pretty accurate, and depending on which mag's you use, they are damn reliable. I've got one with about 2500 rounds down it without cleaning, and it still runs like a champ. they aren't lookers, and personally, I prefer the AK, (mostly a looks factor), over the SKS, but they're damn good. Way cheaper than AR's, too.

13. river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Some of the old ones made in China were real junk. I say pass on them

14. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Um, do you have any idea what you're talking about? The Chinese Type 56 were (and still are) some of the better SKS ever built, and the earlier the better. The real early ones are called Sino-Soviet as they were produced in China under Russian supervision on Russian tooling. Sino-Soviets are some of the more rare and sought after SKS, right up there with Albanians and early Tulas.

15. river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    I have not seen em for the last 40 + years or so off and on to not know what im talking about THE OLD M14 7.76 IS A GOD NEXT TO A SKS. JMHO Jim P. S. How old are you??[​IMG]

16. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Jim,

I meant nothing against you personally, but the SKS is not junk as you implied. Can the 7.62x39 Russian compete with the 7.62x51 NATO? No. Can an SKS compete with an M1A? In many ways, no. But nobody was talking about the M14, or any other rifle for that matter, in comparison to the SKS. I'm probably a third your age, but I am old enough to have personally owned or fired tens of thousands of rounds of various types through twenty or more different SKS rifles from at least 6 different countries of manufacture, not to mention I'm trained as a gunsmith and know my way around firearms as well or better than anyone who has served. I am also old and wise enough to know the $1,600+ M14/M1A you're comparing to a $200 SKS is like apples and oranges... Never mind the fact that the M14 you speak of is 7.62x51 chambered, I haven't heard the old 7.76 misnomer in years.

Again, I mean no disrespect to you in any way, and I certainly can't speak to your experiences with a particular firearm. But the bottom line is that SKS are unfailingly reliable battle rifles and are generally good shooting guns, which is what was being discussed here.

17. OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    There is no comparison between an M1A/M14 or an AR with an SKS
    That being said the SKS does it's job very well that being reasonably accruate to 200 yds, simple enough for a person that has no mechanical expertise to speak of to be able to operate and keep working with min. maint.

Cost was the reason they were built They were 70-100 dollars 15 years ago and my M1A was $1200.00 at the same time. ARs are about the same price and both would not be able to be worked on even basic maint. by a farmer that was plowing a field with a water buffalo the week before being " drafted".

The Russian and Romanian are very good followed by the Norinco and I have not used a Yugo yet but I understand they are different than the Chinese and Russian.

For what they are they work well.

18. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    ^ Ditto.

The Yugo are different in several ways, and many parts do not interchange with other SKS rifles. The two most obvious differences are the weight and grenade launcher on the front. Yugos are noticeably heavier because they did not have access to chromium sources so rather than chrome-lining the barrels and chambers, they simply made everything thicker and dimensionally larger. They also have grenade launching muzzle devices and a special grenade launching sight/gas block. In my experience, the Yugo SKS are some of the least accurate and most poorly built SKS available, but you'd never guess that from holding one next to any other SKS because of the weight difference.

19. OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,

That is what I have heard as well.
    These are not "Riflemen rifles" by any means and few profesional soldiers would pick them, but for a fun simple and easy to maintain or not you cannot go wrong.

20. river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Did not want to come off bad to you but been around guns my hole life, Just my 2 cents dont like old SKS or old m16(ar15) Riden on the river boats i did not have to carry the thing so my top pick was the M14 or the ak 47. AK for in tight or 14 for out there . Peace. Jim

To Top