1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on the Nissan Frontier for a non-Tacoma truck?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by LittleLady808, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Apr 27, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    henryp

henryp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Form follows function
    Go test drive both. I thought the 2nd gen taco was way more comfortable than current frontier. I second all the subaru statements. The wife is driving a '17 outback; very comfortable, impressive clearance, and handles snow like a champ.

2. Apr 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    LittleLady808

LittleLady808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kauai,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5 2.7l
    So our local Toyota dealership has a brand new 2016 Tacoma v6 4x4 access cab for 31k Thai seen! How is the space in the access cabs? I've always had 4 doors but never really had anyway ride in the back but on occasion! My dogs usually ride in the back seat! Lol if someone would ride with me would it be comfortable and spacy back there? I need to go and take a look at it! But at that 31k price that's on par with the Nissan only difference is the frontier is a 4 door!

3. Apr 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    NikoVee

NikoVee you're a towel

Member:
    First Name:
    Niko
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner V6 SR5
    6" Fabtech Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Total Chaos UCA
    watch out for the rear diff recall: https://www.trucks.com/2017/04/27/toyota-recall-tacoma-trucks/

4. Apr 28, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    nh_yota

nh_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    My good friend bought a used 2006 Frontier a few years ago to use as his weekend truck for projects around his house and hauling stuff around. I ride in it every few months and it just feels cheaper and uncomfortable compared to my Tacoma. I'm not saying that our Tacomas are the epitome of luxury, but the Frontiers feel like they are a notch below. He's done some work on it but nothing I consider major for a truck with over 100k on it. Before he bought the Frontier he looked around for a used Tacoma but just couldn't find a decent one for under $10g. He's okay with the Nissan but he keeps telling me that he wants to buy my Tacoma whenever I'm ready to upgrade.

5. Apr 29, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Tires make a huge difference in snow, moreso than drivetrain IMO. Get some good snow tires, studdable if you wish, and throw a few sandbags over the rear axle and it'll be better than 4wd with all terrains.

Throw in a TruTrac limited slip and you'll be putting along better than most.

6. May 2, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    mike2810

mike2810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona - Rim Country
    Vehicle:
    had 06 Sport 4x4 , now 2016 Nissan Pro 4x
    I have had Nissan and Toyota trucks in the past. Last was a 06 Tacoma 4x4 sport. I wanted to get into a mid size truck from my 09 Ram. I test drove Nissan, Toyota, GMC/Chevy. I ended up with a Nissan Frontier Pro 4x. I could not justify the higher prices Toyota and GMC was asking.
    The Frontier reminds me a bunch of my 06 Tacoma.

- Nissan is a dated design. Most bugs have been worked out. Transmission cross contamination fixed. Ride is fine. Cab does have a bit more road noise compared to the others. MPG is not quite as good. I am getting 15 in town, 19-20 highway.

- Many get over 100K before needing to do much to the Frontier.

I am satisfied with the Pro. imo, it was more comfortable than the Tacoma. GM/Chevy has terrible ground clearance. In the end it is a personal choice. Time will tell on reliability. So far so good

7. May 11, 2017 at 2:20 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    I have not been back to this site in months.... since I bought my '16 Frontier Pro4X 6 speed. I had a 2000 Tacoma (4wd 4cyl 5 speed- best truck ever), and they went downhill from there. My '09 was plagued with transmission and driveline problems, and my '12 was already showing frame scaling after 3 Michigan winters. I looked at the 3rd ten Tacomas, and even at dealer cost through a friend, it was still $4K more than the Fronty, plus the weak new engine and transmission ratios are not suited for my needs. I use my trucks as daily drivers, plus on our small farm hauling trailers, building supplies and water down narrow paths where a full-size is impractical. I have also owned 2 Xterras, and still own a '95 4Runner, so I like both brands, but the Frontier is much more a "real truck" to me than the 3rd gen "lifestyle" vehicle Taco is. Dated styling for sure, and the interior has harder surfaces, but that makes it easier to clean and more practical. As far as longevity, the SMOD on the auto transmissions is a problem (now solved), but Taco's have their problems too. Other than far less aftermarket support, and an owner website than is not nearly as active or even as close to entertaining as TacomaWorld is, I am very happy with my choice.

8. May 11, 2017 at 3:01 AM
    Halena Molokai

Halena Molokai Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 TRD DCSB OR 4x4 MT6
    BFG KO2 265/70/17 Moto Metal 17x 9 -12mm ToyTec Boss 2.0 lift Kit Wet Okole, Ceramic tint 35% Bakflip F1 Flowmaster Exhaust Single in /Dual out with 3"stainless tips DashMat Covercraft Custom windshield shade Tilt Alarm Weatherbeater Mats Diode Dynamic LED upgrade to interior OEM Bed Mat OEM 5" Chrome Side Steps
    I've had my 82 Datsun 720 4x4 for 35 years (still going strong) and some Hardbody's along the years but just switched to a 16 Tacoma last year because Nissan has dropped the ball by staying competitive with the Tacoma. It is night and day and a no brainer by choosing a Tacoma. Take it from me who's always been a Nissan guy.

9. Jun 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs

Products Discussed in

To Top