1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle body cleaning problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by everetse, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Glad you got it out w/o having to hit the wrenches. So basically you took LRG RAW'S advise but didn't have to buy the scope. You are Winning Sir. Where did I hear that phrase ?

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    :woot: man im gonna have to be careful when i do this haha

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    WOW...this is why I pay the pros for service.. the least at a Dealership or ASE garage is 100X times than I when it comes to servicing my vehicles. Maintenance costs are a part of ownership costs. (Doesn't hurt resale either to show 100% Dealer service. and it helps a lot to get the benefit of doubt when seeking warranty work.)

My motto has been if i cannot fix or maintain it solely with a Walmart Socket set.....I hire a mechanic. Thankfully my neighbor is a recently retired dealer mechanic and has sockets as big as a baseball......for what I don't know.

I know there is a certain satisfaction and feeling of independence in tiring one's own wrenches. but when something out of the ordinary happens, the $900 towing and repair bill takes the shine off the $100 savings and personally satisfying feeling of a job well done. Years ago things were a lot simpler for anyone to do. I could change fuel pumps on the side of the road and carburetors in Pep Boys parking lots......NO more. Replacing plugs nowadays can suck up half a day and be drought with possible ooppses....

4. Apr 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
    When i cleaned mine, i pulled everything off the truck up to and including the throttle body. When i cleaned the intake, I sprayed a shop rag and wiped it down, and gave a few squirts W/O the straw. It only took a few more minutes to take it all off and made it much easier to clean on the "bench".
    Side note, be careful when you open the butterfly, you can cause the TB to get out of adjustment if you push it to fast. That cost $$$ to get re-tuned by the dealer from what I am hearing.

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    LGE RAW

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    New Mods in the works.
    OP, bonus reputation for sharing your embarrassing moment to help the rest of us not make that mistake!

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    LGE RAW

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    New Mods in the works.
    BTW, these bore scopes can be used for all kinds of hard to see, hard to reach jobs. I got the idea at work. We use them to check the oil on our diesel generator turbo chargers. This keeps us from having to climb up on the oil and water coolers to get to it.

Products Discussed in

To Top