1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle Body Spacer Feedback

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by WolfeTaco, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    WolfeTaco

WolfeTaco [OP] Baja Time

Member:
    Ojai, CA
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner TRD - Silver
    AFE Cold Air Intake, DTLT Ceramic Headers, Jardine Cat-Back, TRD S/C, URD fuel system upgrades (injectors & pump), URD pulley... soon to be tuned!
    I am a new member... This is my 1st new thread.

Looking for open feedback on throttle body spacers. Thinking of putting it on my 2002 3.4L and I have seen mixed reviews ranging from: "best cheap HP mod ever" all the way down to: "whistling piece of crap that will rob your low end torque!" Is it somewhere in between? Every other person I ask has something different to say so I though I'd open it up to get more responses.

Let me know what you think... Thanks!

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    kroggy

kroggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 3.4 4x4
    Grill Guard. PIAA 520's. And ...
    The consensus around here is that it doesn't do much for a toyota. Aparently it's a Ford thing. There's probably a couple of peeps with them, and they are the ones you want to talk to.

3. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    I think those things are the biggest rip off going.

If they did anything, I would make one for every engine out there. There is a super huge profit margin in those things.

Anyway, there have been lots of dyno tests with TBS over the years on the 5vz. Never seen one with a positive result.

Gadget

4. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    WASTE OF MONEY.
    They may work on some vehicle, but THEY DO NOT WORK ON OUR TRUCKS.
    thanks

5. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    XR-Ace

XR-Ace //TRD

Member:
    O.C. California
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB X-Runner aka "BLUE BEAST"
    Evo Mod// Eagle Eye Halo Projectors// Magnaflow Exhaust// Yellow Foggies// Trd Badge
    they're allright..i have one. i didnt notice too much change and i didnt lose any torque.. but the whistle is pretty cool, it keeps ricers at bay.(makes them think i have turbo). :laugh:

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    they are great......................if you are gonna use them as a paper weight!!! for your truck....all they do is whistle.......no performance gains from them!

7. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    2004Taco

2004Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach,CA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 Trd
    Magnaflow and Deckplate Mod Billet grille

hahahahahha nice!

8. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Deckplate mod will do a lot more for you, and WAY cheaper, and it WORKS.

9. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    x100000000000.......the deck plate is dyno proven, the tbs, aint even gonna go there.

10. Jun 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Snake oil! Throttle body/carberator spacers were initially designed to break up air as it pulled through the intake. Throtte body spacers create turbulance which is not effective on most fuel injected vehicles since they want the air to be streamlined through the system. If you had a top mounted fuel delivery system on a performance 8 cylinder engine at that time you would have a use for it. Notice how the advertisement says UP to X amount of horsepower, to get to X you have have to start at 0. So you could have as little 0-X horsepower added. Probably leaning more to the 0 side than the undetermined X side of the scale. There are better ways to spend a hundred bucks. If you have noticed on alot of the newer vehicles they have plastic intakes. most people assume this is because the manufacturers are cheap. Not so, the inside of a plastic intake is slicker than a metal intake thus for leaving less resistance to air in the intake and the ability to manipulate that air and streamline it through the system. Some of you youg bucks may or may not know about polishing and porting intakes for muscle cars. This is done to slicken the interior of and intake and allow better air flow. Plastic intakes elleviate the need to do this. Adding a throttle body spacer just lengthens the air intake by about an inch and a half. You may get a little more noise from the engine (throaty) but it itself is not doing much and also somewhat impedng the design of the intake and throttle body system on a Toyota.

11. Jun 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Riceman

Riceman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellijay, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Ford Ranger FX4
    More like a carburated thing. They are junk on fuel injected motors.

What he said.

To Top