1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle Lag and Loss of power?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FuzzyTaco, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    FuzzyTaco

FuzzyTaco [OP] Certified Smartass

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD OR
    I know there's some smart people on this board, so I'm looking for advice.

A couple of days ago I noticed something while driving. When I'm accellerating, the truck seems to take more than a second to respond to my throttle inputs, especially when mashing the pedal to the floor and getting to wide-open throttle. I know my truck has never acted this way before and couldn't figure out what might be causing it.

Just a day before I did an oil change, consisting of Mobil-1 5w30, but somehow I don't think this is the problem.

I thought about unplugging the battery to attempt to reset the ECU that way it can "re-learn" my driving styles. Is this a lost cause? Another idea I had was maybe a dirty air filter (yes, I should have checked it during the oil change. oops), but didn't think much of it as it was onset quite quickly.

So what does everyone think? What did I do to my truck?!

2. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    DocBrown86

DocBrown86 Yota Doc

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    San Diego (Spring Valley)
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner
    toytec coil spacers, tokicko struts/dubcab springs, energy suspension rack bushings, bilstien hd shocks, K&N FIPK2, Flowmaster 50DF, ScanGuage2, 5000k HID's, horn mod, other stuff that I forgot to list
    Did you possibly leave something unplugged?

3. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    FuzzyTaco

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD OR
    Of course that's crossed my mind. I've gone back over it in my mind and can't think that I forgot anything. I've been busy at work and haven't had a chance to take a real good look. I'll get the chance tomorrow, just wanted to see what everyone thought.

4. Sep 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Kinda weird man...I'd unplug your battery like you said and go from there. I know a lot of reputable shops do free diagnostics. maybe its your fuel injectors :notsure:

5. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    roboots21

roboots21 Taco Supreme!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport DC LB
    Bilstein 5100's, Grillecraft, Flowmaster, Nitto's, NFab's, BHLM, BFLM, 20% tint, more to come.
    I know this is going to sound insane, but did you get the oil at Wal-Mart? My brother was telling me that he has had two cars this month come into his shop after an oil change using Mobil 1 Oil from Wal-Mart that were running like crap and had a loss of power and were smoking a bit. He said after a change of oil that both of the cars ran just like normal.

I know this sounds messed up but just a thought .. :\

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    FuzzyTaco

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD OR
    haha, honestly it doesn't sound as crazy as you think. I actually bought the oil from a O'Reilly auto parts store, and that was only because I forgot to get it at the wal-mart. It was one of those big 4qt jugs though.

7. Sep 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    the big jugs of mobile-1 are 4 quarts for some reason, unless it is different geographically or store to store i dont know, but i just purchased a 4 quart jug from O'Reilly's this past week. maybe you didnt put enough if you only used the one 4 quart jug

8. Sep 20, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    krans

krans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Huntington beach/ West min duh
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport mall crawler
    Icon extended travel with resi front and rear,Camburg UCA, All pro standard leaf pack, Fogs anytime, General grabbers AT2,Custom stainless steel brake lines,bed box, Bestop soft top,50' light bar, amber rigid pods,CBI ditch mounts with LED pods,TRD intake,Anti dark hoodlights/rock light/LED whip,FX-R retros and Gibson catback..more mods to come
    Sounds like you might of over filled your oil. Have you noticed any white smoke when you gas it?

9. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    the truck is fly by wire! ( airplane term )

What that means, is when you smash the pedal the throttle doesn't just open.

it means the pedal sends a message to the computer that you would like to go fast,

the computer makes sure all systems are a go for that type of request

if everything is good, the computer will then tell the throttle to open up.

now how long do you think it takes to accomplish all of that - more than a second???

10. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    my instant thought was maybe the catalytic converter. one went out on an old buick i had and man it cut the performance in half. but idk if you got an 07???? maybe some seafoam through your system?

11. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    how many miles on the truck? when was the last time you cleaned the tb and maf sensor? as said before.....its a drive-by-wire system...all computer controlled.

12. Sep 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    FuzzyTaco

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD OR
    56,000. I never thought of that, though. I may give that a shot. Even though it seems as though that it's passed. The truck seems as though it's driving more normal now. Maybe I'll still do this as a preventative measure.

13. Jan 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Hmmm.....my truck has been doing some wierd things in the past 2 weeks.

When I'm on the expressway and I try accelerating going from 40/50 mph to 60/70 mph it seems to bog down as if it's having trouble changing gears. It also sounds loud. I do have a CAI but I know the CAI is not causing the additional noise. I expericence this with my older Toyota after a timing belt change and we had to accelerate the timing but I haven't messed with the engine in my 2006 since I bought it.

The only thing I can think of is that it does not like cold weather, and we have had cold weather here in Dallas that past 2 weeks around the time it started acting weird.

Any thoughts......and Fuzzy don't mean to thread jack but I wonder if you are experiencing something like I have described.....:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top