1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle module ecm comm problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ianc, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    ianc

ianc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    New TRD sport 10 taco. stop at a light put in neutral or park 5 seconds. Shift back into drive. Truck is in gear rolls forward. Step on the pedal and no throttle response for 2-3 seconds. Then module wakes up up and responds to referenced pedal position and truck surges forward. Happens 50 % of the time. Toyota said it was normal. Not normal. Anyone else have this??????Ithink its soft ware issues or a slow input from somewhere.

2. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! That doesnt saound "Normal". Maybe try a different dealer?

3. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    ianc

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    I have informed NHSTA just waiting to escalatge after next toyo visit. I am going to demand a ecm reflash. Something is causing a failsafe to engage on the throttle body

4. Apr 17, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    How about when you come to a stoplight you just stop and don't mess with the gears. If you wanted to do that why didn't you buy a manual?

5. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Why are you stopping at a light and putting it in neutral or park with an automatic transmission? Stop doing that. There is no benefit. Next, I would suggest you take your truck into the dealership and have the tranny ecu re-flashed.

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    ianc

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    How about reaching into the back seat for something? How about sitting in front of your house on the phone in park? Didn't know I was not aloud to touch the shifter without permission from you or Toyota. I will have to check my sales agreement for that stipulation. Do you think they will trade my truck back for something I don't Want? Enough sarcasm. It's not right. Truck should move when put in gear , most cars do that.

When you use a manual geared truck, Do you keep your foot on the clutch or do you put it into neutral when you come to a stop light. How do you park your car in front of your house. You probaly leave it in gear and don't use p brake. Stop doing all of this

7. Apr 17, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is no reason to shift an auto trans to neutral at a stop light.

It makes sense then, if it is causing you problems, to stop doing that.

It also make sense to complain to Toyota that you are having shift engagement problems.

I have heard some people say that their transmissions were under-filled with fluid from the factory, so I would insist on the dealership checking out the transmission fluid level.

ETA: I see, on a re-read it is already in gear but the engine response is delayed. It still doesn't rule out a transmission-based problem, since the engine and transmission control computers communicate with each other.

8. Apr 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's

Chill out Jr. You asked for advise now you got some. There is also a reason they call it an automatic transmission. You don't have to shift. It does it on it own. Not a good way to make friends around here.

9. Apr 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    op, to answer your question a little more broadly...ALL automatics have a few seconds delay from the time you select drive till you are able to take off. It's to protect the trany.

Go test drive a chevy or a ford, even a nissan truck. You'll see the same behavior.

10. Apr 17, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    To answer your questions,
    1. I don't reach into the back seat for something. It's not safe, don't do it.

2. I don't sit in front of my house on the phone in park, I turn the motor off. It's called "waste of a natural resource." Stop doing it.

3. If it's permission you seek then by all means it is granted. It's your truck, not mine or Toyota's. Operate how you see fit.

4. Yes, the dealer will take your truck in trade for something you don't want but this will cost you more in the long run so don't do it.

5. It really depends on the situation. I am always in gear and ready when I am hauling a 75,000 lb. asphalt grinder-especially if I am on an incline. It isn't fun to get caught off guard with that much weight attached.

And finally, Numero Seis, Of course I put the transmission in "Park" when I stop my truck in the driveway after returning from a hard day's work. It's an automatic, not a manual.

I hoped this has helped clear up any questions about my abilities to operate a motor vehicle correctly.

Thanks,

11. Apr 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    being that its a fly by wire system id say its normal

12. Apr 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    Reading comprehension.... Some don't have it.

The OPs problem is that after he shifts into "D" from "N" or "P", the truck moves forward at idle speed but there is NO THROTTLE RESPONSE for 2 to 3 seconds.
    The opposite of Unintented Acceleration.
    No, it's NOT normal. Toyota should fix it.

Fritz

13. Apr 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    ianc

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Thank you Fritz

I never stated i had a problem with the transmission. It was a throttle response problem. 2-3 second after coming out of P or Neutral and then back into drive whenever. That type of funstion happens routinely everyday. I only found this problem out when I reach into to my back seat at a traffic light to get a bottle of water. Stepped on the pedal waited and then nearly rear ended the car in front of me as the truck accelerated forward. Now i am exploring the problem and recreating 50 % of the time. Toyota tech wrote there was no problem but admitted to me that it was not normal. Why would he check for a reflash if there was no problem ....that's strange.

It is a throttle communication problem. The transmission is in gear and the car is moving forward and i have no response from the throttle at all for 2-3 seconds.

Reaching into my back seat IN NEUTRAL OR PARK IS SAFE. Dexter dog. You said i shouldn't do it but then you tell me to do it . I'll bet you have never done it.

14. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    ianc ,

I have had this happen a few times , but in my situation it is from reverse to forward , definite throttle lag at take off

OZ

15. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    ianc

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    I will have to try that. Explain how it happens please.

DRIVEING CONDITIONS
    YEAR OF VEHICLE
    .IS THERE MOMENTUM

sorry about caps lock not yelling

Thank you

16. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    If you want to attack me IANC say it in the open. Transmissions run on pressure. When you shift it changes pressure in the valve body. It takes a min for the ecu to communicate with the tranny. So don't get a attitude with me

17. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    ianc

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Pressures are always there. Torque convertor turning=pressure. Shifting delays are due to lack of pressures in the valve bodyports which can be attributed to sticking solenoids or slow inputs to the tranmission. If you read original quote the truck is moving that means the truck is in gear, THERE IS NO T-H-R-O-T-T-L-E. There is attitude.

18. Apr 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I didnt leave you bad rep when you left this. Maybe you shouldnt shoot off at the mouth and listen to people. Like you said though its YOUR truck. What should I care.

19. Apr 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    desertdude59

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What do you think the throttle does. It runs the transmission. Come on man. Im not trying to start an argument with you.

20. Apr 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    ianc

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    . The first yokel stated it was a tranny problem. Not a transmission problem. Throttle is fail safe mode. Another idiot tried to tell me not to do something like reaching into the back seat and stop shifting. Tried to explain in private, but your more than welcome to post it if you like. You decided to chime in and back up the yokel. Why would't you deserve attitude? Does your truck do what my 2010 does. My friends 08 doesn't. Therefore no normal again. I will keep you posted personally.

To Top