1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle Randomly Stops Working

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FrayHavoc, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jul 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    FrayHavoc

FrayHavoc [OP] Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4x4 Manual
    2004, 6 CYLINDER, 4X4, MANUAL TRANSMISSION

I just bought my first Toyota 2 weeks ago. So far, I highly enjoy the vehicle, although I hate the dealership. I am already having issues with the vehicle, but the dealership refuses to do anything about it. Since I do maintenance on airplanes and motorcycles, I want to try and fix this myself. I need some help though. Here is a detailed description of the current gripe.

----Throttle Randomly Stops Working
    -In any gear, and when either steady on the throttle, or accelerating, the throttle cuts out, and the truck starts to slow down.
    -When the truck is slowing down, increasing the throttle does not cause the engine to rev up, nor an increase in speed.
    -This last for about 3-4 seconds, then the truck accelerates to a speed in accordance with the current throttle position.
    - This is very random. Sometimes it will happen several times when driving to work, sometimes it won't happen at all.
    - No check engine light.

Thanks for reading.
    Respectfully,
    FrayHavoc

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    Mark16q

Mark16q Active Member

Member:
    Agoura hills
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl prerunner
    I had the exact same symptoms and turned out to be a bad brake light switch.crazy I know but worth checking. My clue was that I saw the brake lights flicker while parked. I had checked maf ,obd threw no errors was losing hope but 20 dollars for the switch and good to go. Hope this helps. Mark

3. Jul 12, 2013 at 4:26 AM
    FrayHavoc

FrayHavoc [OP] Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4x4 Manual
    Thanks much, I'll check on this tonight.

4. Jul 12, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    In 03, toyota started doing the drive by wire. So I would check the connection on the throttle body where the gas wire connects and also check the throttle position sensor. I think it will give you the same symptoms when it's going out. These are all ideas considering the fact that I've never worked on the drive by wire trucks.

5. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    ^ You sure? Mine is a 2rz so maybe different there but it's an 04 and definitely a cable throttle.

6. Jul 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I'm fairly positive that it is, I'm not 100% though. But it might only be v6 models.

7. Jul 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    FrayHavoc

FrayHavoc [OP] Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4x4 Manual

No brake light flickering, not even when throttle issue occurs. I think it happens more often at about half a tank of gas or lower. There's always this certain fuel level about mid-way when it really starts acting up. It rarely ever happens when it's full of fuel.

I'm going to check all things you recommended Southern01Taco, and I'll update everyone. Thank you all for your time and support to help get my truck operating properly. None of you know me, or owe me anything, so I really apperciate your time and thought on this matter.

Thanks again.

8. Jul 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Yotafish

Yotafish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4WD DC
    Same basic shit everybody else had 5 years ago.
    Check the throttle body assembly. There were some design issues in 2003-04 models and there are a few threads on some of the other forums. TTORA I know for sure. I ended up replacing mine and it turns out the replacement for those years has been re-engineered or something to that affect. Either way I had the issue for well over a year almost daily and I wouldnt drive it with my kids in the car as it would stall almost anywhere and sometimes in an intersection or pulling out in traffic. i tried everything to fix it. Iron Pig in Fredericksburg replaced it and they also bypassed the coolant line as some others were doing on other boards. it's been over two years now with not one "hiccup". My "buddy" at the dealership claims Toyota knows about it but until there are enough complaints and issues nothing is going to happen......not sure if that is a fact but I wouldn't be surprised.

Products Discussed in

To Top