1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle sticking?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hate2work, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jan 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    hate2work

hate2work [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
  2. Jan 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    When someone can explain how a "fly by wire" throttle can stick, then I'll believe it happened.

3. Jan 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    off road yota

off road yota Razorback Fan

Member:
    Fayetteville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad package
    Seat Covers, Exhaust tip, Roof Rack, All weather floor mats, Skid plate
    When I first got my truck it surged once or twice at stop lights but nothing like they are describing. Then I had an issue with the ECM or something not letting me start the truck all the time. Took it into the dealership they replaced it and have had no problems since. And as far as these trucks being dangerous, I just don't buy it.

4. Jan 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    hate2work

hate2work [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 standard cab
    So you don't believe these complaints are legit?

Not trying to argue, just understand.

5. Jan 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Explaination of how TBW works.

The butterfly is controlled by a servo motor which in turn is controlled by the pedal. The TPS reads the position of the butterfly plate and sends the signal for the gas. If the butterfly is stuck, it will accelerate regardless of where the pedal is.

6. Jan 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I would think there are few ways a throttle-by-wire setup could become faulty. It would seem logical to me that the first place they need to start extensive testing is the TPS and whatever senor is picking up the positioning of the throttle pedal. Even though they are supposed to be fail-safe, evidently they are not. I highly doubt this is any kind of a coincidence that 100+ reports (400+ according to some) of this happening have been filed. IMO Toyota needs to figure out what the hell is going on.

7. Jan 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    No, I don't believe it one bit. I think they're talking about the "surge" or "lurch" issue that has been discussed here ad nauseum.

To clarify, I don't believe there is a WIDESPREAD problem. Have a couple hundred trucks had a problem with the butterfly sticking? I bet they have but that has been an issue since before I was 15 and working on my '82 Honda Accord hatchback (that would 22 years ago). Compare that amount with the total amount of 2nd gen Tacoma's on the road and I don't see it as a major issue.

8. Jan 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    At least a couple folks understand the system. I was hoping the OP would do the research which was the point of my post but this is good. It seems like we have too many folks putting up the same post week after week yet they don't really understand the mechanics of it.

9. Jan 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:

I'm not going to say that all these complaints are legit, but I would be surprised if more are bogus then legitimate. If you'll read some of the complaints people state having both feet on the brake pedal and still unable to stop the vehicle. Running over curbs, and weaving around objects, etc. I know you said it seems like the lurching issue, but a lurch wont drive you over a curb and around barriers then into a car.

I agree with you, that most people probably have the slightest clue as to how a throttle by wire, or steer by wire system works for that matter. Although, in the past there has been problems documented with both of these setups and it wouldn't blow my mind if Toyota had an issue itself with a very small amount of its vehicles. Its very uncommon to have issues, but they do occur. All it takes is a faulty voltage signal from a positioning sensor, and in the event this happens and the missing data compensation programs along with other redundant systems fail, you are not going to be able to stop the vehicle. That is unless your smart enough to turn it off.

My thought on the topic..

10. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    ^I agree. It may not be the lurch, may have jumped the gun on that since we have about 3 lurch threads per day around here, it seems. But yeah, I do wonder how many are legit complaints and how many are simply bad drivers. For example, we've all seen the video of the guy in the 5 lugger with the manual trans complaining about a "lurch" and things like that lead to speculation.

11. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    hahaha, yea i definitely hear you on that!! I'm sure a handful people that make those complaints have just wreaked their rides (bad drivers like you mentioned)and are banking on using the complaint to solidify their claim with the insurance company. I know that might seem a little far fetched.... but unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyways, hopefully anyone that read this will remember one thing at least... IF you throttle ever sticks, do your self a favor and turn the ignition of FIRST, then do whatever else you have to do in order to keep the vehicle in control. That right there would have probably prevented 9/10 of those reports that were legitimate.

12. Jan 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    Major

Major Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    Seems to me that as many people as we have in this community at least one of us would have experienced something similar to this if it had much merit. My 09 will lurch a bit sometimes as the idle goes up (say when the AC compressor kicks in) but not when you have your foot on the brake. Some of this is occasionally cased by aftermarket floormats and the pedal getting caught behind the mat, wonder if this is the cause for some of these or a few too many road pops and bad judgement?

Products Discussed in

To Top