1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle sticks in 95 2.7 - any suggestions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SteveFaust, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    SteveFaust

SteveFaust [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1995 XtraCab XL 2.7 4x4 Auto
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks 4Runner Rearview w/ Cabin & Map Lights Apline Head unit with Bluetooth 16" TRD OEM Wheels w/ BFGs
    Just acquired a '95 4x4 with the 2.7 and auto trans. All seems to run well althought I've noticed an annoying issue in that when you fist push on the gas pedal it seems to stick until you push harder and then it let's go and accelerates. Doesn't do this when you're driving but say stop at a light, and go to push the pedal and there it is feeling like it is a bit stuck or hanging up. I played with it a bit and seems to be associated with the throttle body wheel linkage ... maybe a sticking / slight vacuum lock at the butterfly valve?

This was my Mom's truck and she says it's always been that way, but I'm hoping to smooth it out so a better feel (safer) should for my kids be driving it.

Any experience with this issue? thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    wj32796

wj32796 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Titusville,Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    Stocker
    Mine did the same thing when I bought it. You need to clean out the throttle body area where the butterfly is. The problem is that area is all built up with carbon. I just used a can of sensor safe throttle body cleaner. I have heard of guys using sea foam but I have no experience with it. After you clean it and run it for a little bit it would be wise to replace the spark plugs.
    You can actually (with the truck not running of course) open the butterfly with your finger and run your finger past it and they will be black with carbon.

Its been two years an I have had no problems with it.

3. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Well for starters there is no carb, you're probably thinking of the throttle body.

Does the 2.7 have a throttle cable? Did you check that to make sure it's free of any obstructions?

Also the above post is sound advice.

4. Jan 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    2.7l does use a cable, if you have cruise control check that too. I had throttle stick caused from a jammed CC actuator arm.

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    With a flashlight, stick your head under the dash (and above the go-pedal), and verify that nothing is interfering with the pedal movement.

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    SteveFaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks 4Runner Rearview w/ Cabin & Map Lights Apline Head unit with Bluetooth 16" TRD OEM Wheels w/ BFGs
    Thanks for the input -- very helpful. Doesn't appear to be anything hanging up the pedal/cable. If I create a little slack in cables at throttle body and twist the throttle body wheel with my hand it feels like it is sticking there so thinking the carbon build up there might be culprit. Will have to tear into it and do some cleaning this weekend.

Madjik_Man[​IMG] -- your rig looks just like mine but with a topper. Gonna have to find one like that at some point.

7. Feb 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    SteveFaust

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Pulled Throttle Body and did a complete cleaning, man was it dirty... now it's clean and no more sticking! :)

IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top