1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throttle up problem on Taco V6 MT on dpressed cluch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dprender, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Unfortunately I don't think it's doing anything there that it wasn't designed to do. I say "unfortunately", because if that were the case then maybe there would be a fix. But they aren't going to fix what has been done intentionally.

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Mine really doesnt do it. If it does, it might be by 1-200, but thats about it

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    neoimpaler

neoimpaler New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5
    Exactly. Much better way of wording what i was trying to say. My 09 6MT does the same thing. Very annoying, and the only explanation i could get from the tech at the dealer was "maybe its trying to anticipate a downshift" Ive only ever owned MT's, I know how to drive one.

It also seems that if i have to brake hard, the RPM's go higher. Anyone else noticed this?

4. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Probaly have to here how high up its going. Do not know if the computer in the car is compensating to try engage cluth and trans for smoother transmission. In automatics Yaw sensor is used along with calclated engine lode, throttle references and speeds all to provide smoothest shifting. But I do not know if this applies to Manual trans mission. I have an automatic. I will look into it because i am curious also. Could also fuel ration condition. Extra fuel being dumped under load and then take away the load. Extra fuel.

5. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    JMart550

JMart550 AZ Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    MY13 WRX, sold: MY09 TRD OR DC Mag Grey
    5100s up front 2.5, TSB rear, Foglights Anytime, DRL Mod, Hard-wired GPS Mod, Auxiliary Indicators, Harbor Freight Air-horn,
    Yes, Mine does this. :mad: I am sure it is because of the electronic throttle.

Try just punching the throttle and let go, and you'll see the engine will start revving just after you let go of the throttle... Evidence that it is the delay in the electronics that doesn't notice you let off the throttle when shifting.

This is the only thing I don't like about my new Toy! :D

6. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    :burnrubber:I have a little different view on the problem statement for this discussion.

If I drive it slow and short shift the manual 5 speed it is just like any of the other manual trans trucks I have driven.

But if I rev it up and then try to shift, there is what feels like the engine reving after I let up on the throttle to shift. The sequence is I let up on the throttle and then push the clutch in to shift and I get this apparent additional rev up with the clutch pushed in. There is some vibration you can feel thru the floor board. I can feel that the truck does not like me to do this so I have adjusted my shift habit to letting all the way up on the throttle well before I shift to where I feel the truck slow down some then push the clutch in to shift. I don't like to drive this way so I just short shift it and don't rev it up and shift fast unless there is a real good reason to push the truck.

I think it is the ECU trying to burn up the fuel in the engine for emissions compliance. :sadviolin::sadviolin:

7. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    cant find em'.... grind em'!

8. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Herculean

Herculean Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    SoCal
    A/R Chambers, BFG KM2's, Donahoes, Fox 2.0, Sliders, flowmaster, some little stuff.
    My 07 does this and it is substantially worse than my 05 was. I talked to my friend (service writer at toyota) about it and he did some research. Said it was an emissions control thing having to do with burning the excess fuel going from load to no-load condition for a shift. I could give two shits at 14 mpg so I asked about reprogramming the ECU. He said it couldn't be done. Also asked Gadget about it, and he confirmed. I put the short shifter in anyway and I either got used to it or it learned my style as someone suggested, but either way, it doesn't bother me much anymore.

9. Aug 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    lat41lon71

lat41lon71 Member

Member:
    Wet Okole seat covers
    Mine does this too. Keeps the revs up between gears and I do also sense a faster idle than I thought would be correct. I got used to it but truck dosen't shift as smoothly as it would if it didnt do this.

10. Aug 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    NORMAL!!!!:):):)

11. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Normal for these Tacomas. Not normal for a typical manual transmission equipped vehicle.

12. Aug 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

^^

This

13. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    In my opinion, the rise in RPM between shifts is totally unacceptable. Not only is it annoying, but its causes wear on the clutch. Anytime there is a difference in speed between the clutch, transmission shaft and flywheel , there will be wear. Normally , I would not worry about that small amount of wear, but my clutch wore out at 5000 miles on my new 2009. Yes, I can drive a clutch, 4 previous trucks, all got more tham 161,000 miles and never needed a clutch on any.
    There are Luk clutches and Aisin clutches in these trucks, Apparently the Luk clutches are the problem.

14. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Yep. The throttle reaction of this truck in just about every way is unacceptable.

Give Toyota a call and complain about it. Maybe if enough of us complain, they will make some changes in the future at least.

15. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    yes I have a manual but no my engine doesn't rev when coming to a stop...its called downshifting and matching the rpm's to the lower gear...its a racing thing and something I have been doing on all my manual vehicles since I 1st learned how to drive manual...

no when accelerating my rpms do not bump up maybe yours do cause your not balancing the throttle and clutch when shifting...

I too have a TRD S/C so my throws are a lot shorter than stock (which I like...:D) but I can slam gears all day long and not have a single problem...

16. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TC UCA OME 884 5100 TSB+AAL 4.10 V6 6spd 285/75/16
    When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, the RPMs rev higher a little right after I press the clutch.

When my dad was teaching me to drive manual, he would always be like "STOP DOING THAT, YOU DO IT EVERY TIME".

The solution is to let your foot off the gas before you press the clutch. Then bring it back fast enough before the RPMs drop to idle.

It's very hard to match your RPMs quickly. Electronic throttle sucks.

17. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure if electronic throttles suck, or if just this electronic throttle sucks.

18. Sep 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    fortyniner

fortyniner Active Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    My 2008 does the samething but worse, when I slow down in traffic and the rpm gets to 1300 it just stays there and powers the truck. When I put the clutch in and put it in neutral the rpm stays at 1300 until I come to a stop and then drops to 800. You can't shift into 2nd when going around a corner at slow speed because the truck will speed up instead of slowing you down. I have had it into the dealer twice and they agree it does have this problem but say that's the way it's suppose to be. This is bullshit. This is my third tacoma and the first one to do this and it will be my last.

19. Sep 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Mine does the same thing. While it is straight retarded, it is part of the design. They just expect you to push the clutch in sooner than you would with any other vehicle.

When I first got my Tacoma, I took it back in complaining about that problem. They claimed they'd never heard of that before. A tech took it for a ride, and I went with him to point it out. He acknowledged that it was indeed doing that, and seemed to agree that he didn't like it, but that was what the software was making it do.

I also called and complained to Toyota about it. This was all back in 2007. I tried to relate it to a safety issue, because there were times when I was slowing down, it was reach a certain RPM, and suddenly it was no longer slowing down. It would almost even accelerate a bit on its own.

It doesn't really happen to me anymore because I've gotten used to it and know I need to take it out of gear a lot sooner than any other vehicle. But there are still other issues with this dumbass computer controlled throttle that I will never be able to adjust to. It really pisses me off.

When it's time for a new vehicle, I will test drive another Tacoma. If the new ones do the same thing, I'll look at something else. I don't want an automatic.

20. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Yuhmama

Yuhmama New Member

Member:
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    Red 4WD 6-speed
    My new 12 is doing exactly what all of yours are doing and I think it sucks. A powerful engine like this should drop revs as soon as you let off the gas and I think it's the drive by wire BS...programming, whatever. I don't like it, but I can adapt. Anyone ever figure out a way to avoid this, reprogram, ecu reflash...something?

Products Discussed in

To Top