1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thule Roof Rack Installation Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by B2BTaco, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I see what you mean. On my old toyota xcab 95, I used one bar rack on top & stuck my hitch style bike rack to carry my 14' Mad River Tahoe canoe around. That setup worked good for like you said, not enough spacing on top of the roof for two bars. I improvised with the bike rack for the goal post was not available then, there were no attachments either like today either. Just those clamp side ski things.
    Yes way too much money spent on these trucks & my hobbies! :)

2. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Pyriteship

Pyriteship Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    10 Access Cab SR5 in Pyrite
    WWF, when you say that you can stow away the bars for better aerodynamics (on the OEM rack) do you mean crossmembers? I think I stumbled across your pics with the OEM rack and it doesn't appear that there's any crossmembers, just side rails.

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Pyriteship

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    ahhhh, a woman with an engineer's mind...that's nice.

4. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah the cross members I guess you call them. But they fit into the side rails and lock down when you arent using the cross members to carry anything. I think it looks a lot sleeker to!;)

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    B2BTaco

B2BTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma - TRD Sport 4X4 - Silver
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks (Front) raised 2.5 inches. Pro-Comp AAL 1.5 inch raise in rear. HomerTaco Thin-Lip Satoshi Grill. AVS Bug-Deflector, Front Two Windows Tinted (to match factory tint on back windows). Baja Roof Basket with Spare Tire Carrier. Shorty Radio Antenna-black. Cobra CB Radio/PA System installed. De-badged (all Toyota/Tacoma decals gone). Front & Rear Mud flaps removed. STEALTH 3157 Taillight bulbs (removed amber bulb for cleaner look)
    WWF - What kind of clearance do you need for your rack. I'm guessin' THULE is about the same hieght off the roof. I need to clear 6'11" because I park in a garage at work.

I know the hieght of a stock Taco is 70.1 inches high (found this in the owners manual). Plus 5-7 inches for the rack, that's plenty of room.

6. Mar 27, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    Pyriteship

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    The trouble begins when you're going away for that long weekend that you've been planning and you think, "hey, I'll load up the truck and take off right from work tomorrow" and you throw the bikes, kayaks, boards, etc on the racks Thursday night. The next day you admire your handywork and how everything looks on your taco before driving off to work....of course, you're still half asleep because you've only drank half your coffee when all of a sudden you hear it - BAMMMMMMM and you look in your rear view mirror to see your stuff hanging off the back of your truck. All I'm saying (with your situation) do whatever it is you need to do to eliminate THAT possibility as I've witnessed it a couple of times myself and it ain't pretty! As Simon's Mom said - Drive throughs can be a bitch too!

7. Mar 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks (Front) raised 2.5 inches. Pro-Comp AAL 1.5 inch raise in rear. HomerTaco Thin-Lip Satoshi Grill. AVS Bug-Deflector, Front Two Windows Tinted (to match factory tint on back windows). Baja Roof Basket with Spare Tire Carrier. Shorty Radio Antenna-black. Cobra CB Radio/PA System installed. De-badged (all Toyota/Tacoma decals gone). Front & Rear Mud flaps removed. STEALTH 3157 Taillight bulbs (removed amber bulb for cleaner look)
    Guys, just purchased the THULE rack today. It's gonna be awesome. Got the fairing with it too. Super stocked about it. I'll post pictures when I get it installed. Thanks for all the input. I'll be sure to take it in stride. Especially Pyriteship's post haha.

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 3:47 AM
    Pyriteship

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Massachusetts, USA
    Vehicle:
    BTB - Good luck with the racks, I'm sure that you'll be happy with them as they make really nice stuff. I'd like to see your pics. I'm getting motivated to get mine done up now! :) I've got to stop looking at this forum hahahhaha

9. Apr 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Got it in this week. Installed it Friday. Pic below.
    [​IMG]

RedTaco68 likes this.
  10. Apr 3, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Front view, close up.
    [​IMG]

11. Apr 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Before the tint and rack, in a rare Alabama snow.
    [​IMG]

12. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully

how much did you pay for everything? and where? also do you got up close pics of how they mount? any drilling? thanks.

13. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

I have the same rack as b2btaco. no drilling. i have some close ups of the mounts in my gallery.

Products Discussed in

To Top