1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thule Tracker II vs. Thule Aero Roof racks & Wind noise (whistling)?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yankee Bill, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill [OP] Active Member

Member:
    VA
    I'm looking at getting one of these 2 model roof rack systems installed on a Leer shell that I'm ordering. While talking w/ the dealer he stated that some people have complained that the Tracker II model makes a whistling noise from the wind due to the square design of the crossbar tubing.

Have any of you folks who have the Tracker II roof racks experienced this? As another member here suggested in a different thread, and I tend to agree, the dealer may have just been trying to "up-sell" the more expensive Aero model.

While I don't have too much of a gripe paying the extra $90 for the Areo model if there is really a wind noise issue with the Tracker II, I'd prefer not to if the only real difference between the two is soley a matter of asthetics.

Appreciate any info you may have to offer.

Thanks,

YB

2. Aug 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    i have used both the Thule square load bars and the aero bars... im currently using the square ones as the aero bars arent available in 64"s... I used the rapid aero ones for a year before switching.

honestly, get what you are comfortable paying for and looking at. ive never had objectionable wind noise from either set up. once you put anything on the roof its going to make a lot of noise.

its so frustrating dealing with rack companies they positively rape you....

3. Aug 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    My truck cap dealer was very honest with me and advised against the aero bars. He said they were too expensive and that many of Thule's products would require adapters to work with the aero bars--which would add yet another cost.

I'd get the square ones if I had to make that choice.

I ended up with an A.R.E. shell and yakima so I got the round bars, but I don't think it makes a damned bit of difference as it's all going to create drag when driving anyways.

4. Aug 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    The aero bars are a light weight aluminum construction, built in a way that promotes them to be strong and stiff, they are more refined and look finished... the square bars are simply thick rubber encased steel square bars, plane and simple. They weigh prob twice as much as the rapid aero ones do. not that it matters, but the square ones are prob a lot stronger. (also backing this up is that the aero bars are only good to 60"s)

i agree with crom, its not going to make a lick of difference, they are all gonna create noise. its about marketing and Thule raking in cash ripping people off. (im a victim too) :)

as an aside, im selling my 60" Rapid Aero bars with feet. you just need trackers and tracks...
    http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/pts/3195313495.html

Products Discussed in

To Top