1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thump when releasing brake pedal

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Maduck, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    Maduck

Maduck [OP] Member

Member:
    Estes Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    01 Quad
    I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Quad cab, V6. It is an excellent driving pick-up, I am very happy with it. I have noticed when I stop and I take my foot off of the break, I get a weird bump sensation, it does not do it all the time, and I notice it more prominently if I break hard, and take my foot off of the break. It shifts nice, no audible noise from the transmission, no wheelbearing problems. Shifts in and out of gear nice, by the way it is an automatic, no clunking, does not do it in gear while driving, only when I'm stopped take my foot off the break to drive while in gear. Wife thinks it's falling apart and won't ride in it. 38,000 miles for gosh sakes, and Lexus does not have a PU.

Thanks for any Help!

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    Bsly862

Bsly862 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road
    3in lift
    Could be axle wrap...?

3. Oct 5, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the kitchen
    Vehicle:
    99 - 3.4L V6 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
    x2 on the axle wrap. what do the leaf springs look like? sort of :) or :(, our trucks are notorious for having weak leafs. if they are more of a sad faced look then you have found the source of the thump. Option A - an AAL will correct the issue, may be only temporarily. Option B - new leaf packs.

another possibility is the driveshaft - no it's not falling apart! - has it been greased lately? if not you might want to give that a try...7 zerks along the way IIRC.

Tell your wife to relax, Tacomas don't fall apart.

4. Mar 31, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    soundguy88

soundguy88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Camarillo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD
    I have this same thumping noise when I take my foot off my break pedal. When I take my foot off of the break pedal to go to the gas pedal you hear a thump like it is releasing to far or something

5. Mar 31, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    This. Axle wrap in turn causes some motion in the driveshaft slip joint.

Could also be brake pads "rocking" within the caliper slot, but that is usually more of a tap than a thump (being highly scientific here :rolleyes:).

6. Mar 31, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    How about the rear shoes sticking. Check the springs and see if your shoes need replacement.

To Top