1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thunking DRIVIN ME NUTS!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cheesycook, May 14, 2012.

1. May 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    ^^ these were my next two things. I remember in my last taco I ha taken the bed off a couple times and didn't tighten the bed bolts all the way once.

2. May 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    pvo1

pvo1 Member

Member:
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    K&N Air Filter, Smoked Headlights and Taillights.
    Could be your tacos testicles hanging from the hitch. :p A hitchhiking possom from your last trip in the woods? I remembered I had a little clanking noise once till I washed my truck and saw something move right in my wheel well when I sprayed it down. When someone installed my side steps it was in the way of the right rear brake line. So that person couldnt get that metal bracket that holds the line in place to stay so he just left it hanging. So I had to do some zip tieing. Get your friends to jump on your bed and some to lift the bed too and check for noise while you are laying down under your truck.

3. May 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Welcome to Tacomaworld!

4. May 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    pvo1

pvo1 Member

Member:
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Thanks.

5. May 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Cheesycook

Cheesycook [OP] Geek with a gun

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Working on her today. Pulled the shaft and went for a spin in front wheel drive. Shaft felt good and the thunking was still there. Pulling the spare and going for a spin again. Next comes more snugging of bolts and testing jacking it up with a gigantic jack......and letting it drop down.......hard.

6. May 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Pulled the spare,......still a thunk.
    Snugged EVERYTHING,......still a thunk.
    Checked and double checked everything,......still a thunk.
    shocks aren't bottoming out. wheel bearings seem fine. exhaust is tight.
    Dropped it from the jack a number of times. All I could tell was the sound seems to be coming from somewhere behind the gas tank and above the rear axle on the driver's side.

I even pulled my step rails....... by the way, anybody need step rails?

7. May 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Anybody hear of anything with drum brakes or axle rods causing a thump.....when braking and driving appear fine without bumps at speed?

Where can I buy a can of "Noise B Gone"?

8. May 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    My step-father recommended lubing the springs..... thoughts?

9. May 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    pvo1

pvo1 Member

Member:
    Arlington, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    What about your tires? Have you checked to see if you have a bubble on it? Really out of balanced tire or something?

10. May 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Seems okay. Clunking happens when I jack the tire up and drop it whicb kind of takes the tire out of the running. I think this coming weekend I will pull the brakes apart out of desperation.

11. May 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Remove sway bar and let us know. Fixed my "thunk" after I lifted. Mine would only happen on pretty extreme articulation though. Good luck, and thoughts with your wife.

12. May 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    I checked the sway bar and front suspension for giggles and it all seems good. After laying under the truck and dropping her off the hydraulic jack I concluded that the clunk is from tbe rear, drivers side. And I appreciate the well wishes for the wife but right now I havent spoken fo her in a week. She is an alcoholic and thinks more of steeling wine from my grandfather than caring for our three kids.......so, she is close to being the ex while I do all the work and try to find work. In short, to hell with her.

13. May 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Just climbed under again. Took the wheels off and checked the brakes. The drums seem to be able to turn a touch like the bolt pattern is slightly too open. It does stay centric as is is hugging tight on the inner ring of the axle shaft. The lash on the ring and pinion feels a touch loose as I play with the axle shafts. The shafts have no give showing wheel bearings going bad or anything, just a lite chattering noise as I spin them that isnt loud by any means. I am about to beat everything with a bubber mallet.

14. May 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    What do you guys think about asking an auto collision repair shop to look at this problem? I am mildly OCD and this is killing me! My family offered to help a little bit financially. Do you think it is worth it? As in, would they have the capability to track something like this?

15. May 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    can you get the sound to happen by driving up a curb with one of the front wheels? I am betting that your slip yoke is bottoming out with the addition of the OME leaf springs. You should measure the amount visible on yours and one without those springs. The springs move your axle forward almost an inch, and when your suspension compresses it moves forward more as the springs cycle.

16. May 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    TacoBran

TacoBran You're Unique, Just Like Everyone Else

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SOLD, 02 Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Icon coilovers, TC UCA, icon shocks w/resi's, deaver leafs - 4x4 swap in progress
    gas tank loose? The straps that hold them up aren't much if you do any wheeling lol

17. May 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Cross any bridges lately? I think you forgot about that magical bridge troll you hid in your secret cubby when you were drunk that night cruising around with your buddies and he's banging on the door to be let out.

18. May 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Unfortunately, no bridge troll or wild nights. Spend the last three years on-call and unable to do more than a glass of wine. Gas tank straps felt nice and tight. Also, didn't seem to change between full tank and nearly empty tank. Haven't had any wheeling opportunities in this truck, had to fix my old Jeep too many times to keep that behavior up with as many kids as I have now. :) No thunking with the front tires coming off a curb to speak of. Does anybody know if there are any measurements out there to know where my slip is sitting compared to stock or how much travel it has?

19. May 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Wheel well liners nice and tight? Fender support bars loose?

Oh and my apologies about the troll/cruising/drunk comment. I did not see your post about your wife and her antics... *hangs head in shame* [​IMG]

20. May 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    I have this very same clunk. Maybe not as loud as you explain yours. I was scratching my head for weeks trying to figure it out. I eventually found that it's the large leaf pack (I have the allpro exp leafs 10 pack) in the rear and when fully extending the rear wheels the leafs separate slightly. When coming back together (or recompressing), the leafs all clap together making a noise that sounds like metal smacking against metal.

You may be experiencing the same thing. Put some C clamps, or vice grips on the ends of your leafs (tightly) so they cannot separate and take it down a bumpy road. That will tell you if that's what you're hearing.

Products Discussed in

To Top