1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tie Down Straps

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ausfahrt, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Jul 8, 2016 at 1:47 AM
    ausfahrt

ausfahrt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FL & VT
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 MT 4X4 V6
    If you're towing then there is a pretty good chance that you are also strapping down cargo. I have been hauling motorcycles for a couple of decades now and thought I would share what works for me.

First of all, I like the cam-buckle type of strap. I know that there are guys who prefer the ratchet type but those have failed me in the past. So for years I used a no-name generic cam-buckle strap without issue but I always check them whenever I stop for gas.

My old straps were getting a little ratty and I was in the market for some new straps and came across and bought 1.5 inch Powertye straps. I love these straps!

I recently hauled my Harley full dresser 1600 miles without incident. The Powertyes are made in the USA and I am not at all affiliated with the company, I'm just a happy customer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Those may be ok for holding cargo that probably won't go anywhere anyway, but they won't do any good for tying down cargo that needs TENSION.

I think if you had ratchet straps fail, it is probably because you had too small of ratchet straps. I've seen some ratchet straps that I sure wouldn't trust, and others that just don't hold up well (snap-on straps are CRAP, the side plate is much too thin as a lever, and they bend).

Something like this, for instance; http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-in-x-20-ft-10-000-lb-ratchet-tie-down/A-p8540742e

3. Jul 9, 2016 at 3:19 AM
    ausfahrt

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FL & VT
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 MT 4X4 V6
    It looks like you could strap down an elephant with those!

One of my concerns with ratchet straps in motorcycle applications is the tendency to over-tighten and the possibility of blowing out the fork seals. I knew there would be guys like you that prefer the ratchet straps and that's fine, I just wanted to show what works for me.

ManBeast likes this.
  4. Jul 9, 2016 at 3:43 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I prefer Ratchets way over anything else. I had a cam fail on me once. Kept the strap (it works with my ratchets). The cam went in the garbage can. I give my ratchets a shot of WD-40 once a year, no problems with them engaging or releasing:thumbsup:

5. Jul 9, 2016 at 4:05 AM
    ManBeast

ManBeast Well Feared Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB:TOTALED-> 2014 4R TRAIL
    You handled that very eliquently.

6. Jul 9, 2016 at 4:25 AM
    cabo wabo

cabo wabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 dbc short bed trd sport
    I use both, depending on what i'm hauling is the kind of strap i use. I used a ratchet strap on a deep freezer and put a crease the size of the strap width on the front corner. :(

ausfahrt[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:12 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    Cam buckle straps are illegal for exposed cargo use on road and highway in Ontario, Canada. There is a $175 fine (and maybe more) for an unsecured cargo.

I had a cop tailgate me once (no lights on) just to see if I had appropriate weight-rated ratchet straps holding down my zero turn mower. He even pulled up along side my trailer to see if it was hooked up properly to the truck (crossed safety chains with spring lock hooks pointing up, clevis pin lock on receiver, etc.). He passed, gave me a thumbs up out the window, and took off.

Mobtown Offroad likes this.
  8. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:33 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    LOL.... a quality cam buckle will hold anything you need to secure. They were originally made to tie down small aircraft to the tarmac. I've got a set of Ancra's that over 30 years old and will hold down anything your truck should be hauling. As far as ratchet types (and cam buckles) "blowing out fork seals" just use a brace.

ausfahrt[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:39 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I have a variety of ratchet straps in the truck all the time. I have a few that have a relatively low weight rating for the kayaks, furniture, snowblower, lawn tractor, etc. I also have some 10,000 lb breaking point ones.

Ratchet straps are so easy to use and they're inexpensive so I have never bothered with anything else.

10. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:47 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have a bag full of misc straps and a lot of rubber bungee cords.

FWIW... On lighter loads, I put a zillion bungee cords on it, like a spider web to ALL bed connectors to balance loads on connectors.

I also keep "solid foam swimming pool noodles" to load things with bumpers.

OP.. I like your aluminum flat bed trailer. Needed that before now.. Just curious what brand is it?? Thanks

11. Jul 10, 2016 at 6:35 AM
    ausfahrt

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FL & VT
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 MT 4X4 V6
    Thanks, it's a great trailer just a bit wider than I'd like. It is an Aluma MC210 and I recently upgraded from a single to a tandem one.

SOSHeloPilot[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    I have both cams and ratchets. I use the cams for quick securing of things from sliding such as a cooler in the bed. Anything that CAN NOT MOVE, however will only ever see a ratchet. I have never had a cam fully fail, but have had them loosen quite a bit. Yes if you are a idiot you can severely over tighten a ratchet, so I just don't over tighten them....

13. Jul 22, 2016 at 9:03 AM
    Fredfifty

Fredfifty Back in a Mini

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Big Island - SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    99 5 Lug V6
    DJM 3/4 DJM UCA BJ FLIP CALMAX SHOCKS POLYURETHANE SWAY BAR BUSHINGS POLYURETHANE UCA BUMPSTOPS ROLLED FENDERS DJM 4 INCH ANGLED BLOCKS (STEEL) MINI C-NOTCH FROM ROHDE FABRICATIONS MJBTACO LOWPRO BUMPSTOPS CALMAX SHOCKS ROLLED FENDERS
    canyon dancers ftw

14. Jul 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    ???WTF???

15. Jul 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
  16. Jul 22, 2016 at 12:03 PM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
  17. Jul 22, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Fredfifty

Fredfifty Back in a Mini

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Big Island - SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    99 5 Lug V6
    DJM 3/4 DJM UCA BJ FLIP CALMAX SHOCKS POLYURETHANE SWAY BAR BUSHINGS POLYURETHANE UCA BUMPSTOPS ROLLED FENDERS DJM 4 INCH ANGLED BLOCKS (STEEL) MINI C-NOTCH FROM ROHDE FABRICATIONS MJBTACO LOWPRO BUMPSTOPS CALMAX SHOCKS ROLLED FENDERS
  18. Jul 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    I agree, on motorcycles I always use cam style with canyon dancer. Everything else is ratchet

Products Discussed in

To Top