1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tie Rods Replacement timeframe? (inner/outer)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by taco_blanco2005, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Mar 21, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    taco_blanco2005

taco_blanco2005 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Florida
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 Tacoma PreRunner V6 DC
    I'm at 106k miles on my '02. I have LBJ's on hand and plan to replace those soon for peace of mind, but wondering if I should knock out the inner/outer tie rods while I'm down there.... so, what mileage are folks typically replacing the tie rods on these trucks?

The OEM inner/outer tie rods are running about $400, so would be cool to skip them this go-around if possible and tackle them at the next LBJ replacement in another 40k-60k miles.

2. Mar 21, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    SoddyTACO

SoddyTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Pre runner 2WD
    2' Eibach suspension lift
    If the tie rods don’t have any play when you shake the wheel side to side don’t worry about it.

3. Mar 21, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    trdproven

trdproven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Test your tie rods first unless you just want to change them anyways so you don't have to worry about them. But changing them are easy, all you need is a large adjustable wrench to remove the inner. Beauty of the exposed rack. An hour or so is all you need on them. Don't forget an alignment and try to mimic the original position of the the tie rods so it's not as crazy when u drive to the shop. Or youll need to do a generic rope alignment first.

Products Discussed in

To Top