1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TIFU by backing into a post. Help? 2016 TRD OR

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by enominezerum, Mar 29, 2016.

?

What should I do

1. File insurance claim and deal with it.

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Eat the cost and come out cheaper in the long run.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Fix it yourself in the back yard.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    nh_yota

nh_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    My 2010 was four months old when I backed into a parking meter while parallel parking. The meter was right on the curb and I was backing in at such angle that the meter hit the tailgate a few inches in from the taillight. I felt like an idiot because the truck was only four months old, I am decent at parallel parking and I was watching the backup camera. I guess the meter was just far enough to the side that I didn't notice it until it was too late.

Fortunately the damage was limited to a dent and a paint scrape, so the tailgate was structurally fine and all it needed was dent removal and a new paint job. Even though the truck was almost brand new I figured what the hell it's a truck and I'll fix it when I get a bigger dent in the tailgate. I didn't bother filing a claim or fixing it at the time.

Six months later I was in a minor fender-bender in a parking lot which I did report to the insurance company. The truck was in the body shop for a week because it needed a new front bumper and some associated trim pieces (and the paint work to go with the new stuff). Obviously the insurance company wouldn't cover the repair to my tailgate so I just paid the body shop something like $500 to fix and repaint the tailgate at the same time they did the front end work.

2. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    crepr12

crepr12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 V6 Manual
    How could you not know what your deductible is?.....Good luck with the repair

3. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    enominezerum

enominezerum [OP] Dreamer

Member:
    Just got it mixed up with the collision is all.

4. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    MiStiC NiNja

MiStiC NiNja Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harvey
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Yep, i'm thinking its closer to $6K. Especially on a new vehicle as all the parts will be OEM. The labor will be a lot for the bed, it will all need to be painted and blended.

Hopefully you have accident forgiveness in your state (additional coverage you might have purchased or received for good driving) Otherwise your rates will be significantly higher for 3-5 years. Sorry to hear about the accident, super crappy.

EDIT: Insurance won't be able to tell you how much your rates will increase, its dependent upon losses within your policy period along with external regional factors when adjusting a policy.

5. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:40 PM
    Kev16

Kev16 Black Betty

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma Black DCSB TRD OR 3.5 V6 AT
    Are on the way!
    Wife backed into a telephone pole & destroyed the tail light & chrome bumper piece... Small dent where yours is. I paid out of pocket the bumper & tail light assembly was $340. On eBay.. The small dent not sure, gotta schedule an appointment with my local paint less dent repair.. Something ya might wanna look into...

EDIT: mine wasn't enough damage to have it stuck with the truck the rest of its life.. $500 deductible even if I have $6-700 out of pocket.. Insurance raising & reportable accident on VIN.. Just didn't make since to turn it in.. Just my $.02 tho..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 30, 2016 at 2:42 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    close to $3k, thats replacing everything obvious and parts that "could be" damaged.

Products Discussed in

To Top