1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time for a brake change...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by cheese7882, May 26, 2012.

1. cheese7882

cheese7882 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Deckplate mod.
    Im going to change my front brakes this weekend, was also thinking about bleeding the whole brake system. Its a '97 with 87k on it. I bought my truck off my buddy a few years ago and I dont think the system has ever been completely bled. My question is, would a brake system bleed be necessaryand if so, any thoughts on how much fluid I need?

2. koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    Make sure you flush the fluid if it's dark in color. Get a turkey baster from the supermarket (or elsewhere) and suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and fill it with new fluid. Flush it all out until it comes out clean and without air.

Get the bigger container of fluid, its only a couple of dollars more. It's 20oz or something.

3. maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Get one of the large bottles, they're like 6 or 7$ IIRC. Be sure to check which type of fluid it is but I believe DOT 3.

You may not use it all but it's not that much money. It's probably not necessary but might be a good idea.

4. hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    yes highly advised especially if the fluid is anything from near clear in color.

5. Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    yes, with ABS sensors, and to protect brake lines, and to keep parts working, ( remember brake fluid has a job also as a lubricate) and it also collects moisture in system. keep it good and fresh and you will be doing your entire brakes system a favor and your wallet.
    now I use dot4, it a little more, give a little more protection and I think its worth it. but dot3 is good also, really keeping it flushed and fresh puts you miles above most people. never have been sold on synthetic brake fluid, (since I don't drive a F1 race car or NASCAR, don't see the advantage.
    and when I flush mine, I do the turkey baster method first, to get as much good fluid up front then bleed the lines out, i think its a 8mm, start farthest away and work back.

To Top