1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tint or no tint?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by waller24, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Tint or NO tint up front

Poll closed Apr 20, 2010.
  1. Front tint

149 vote(s)
    82.8%
  2. NO front tint

31 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Apr 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    DheadTaco

DheadTaco Pill it till you kill it!

Member:
    Gulf Coast, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Impulse Red Pearl
    -Color Matched Grill & Toyota emblem -Headlights from WOTM -Tinted Fogs with Lamin-x (Tint) -Tinted taillights with Lamin-x (Tint) -6K HIDs in headlights and fogs -20% tint all around -Plasti-dipped badges -Plasti-dipped back bumper -Mud flap mod -'10 running-boards -LEDs all around -AFE drop-in
    Im about to do 5% all around. My friends have it done and its like 15 degrees hotter in my truck compared to theirs. Got to love that crazy hot South Mississippi weather!

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    :popcorn: X3 Hope you never need an officer in an emergency.

And we elect the Politicians.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I didn't elect them. My candidates rarely win in this state.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Keep the tint as long as it's legal. I wish here we could have it about 15% but 27% is the limit, so I'll be getting 30% and limo in the rears

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Tint it, legal or not. It looks great, tickets are few and far between unless you act like a moron. NC has a legal limit on tint, and any tinting below the OEM line on the windshield is illegal...don't make it terribly obvious (limo tint all the way around, etc.) and you should be fine.

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    jrws6

jrws6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07, Dodge Ram 35004x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6M
    http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/tinting.html

Window Tinting

There is an additional charge to check a vehicle with tinted windows. All windows with applications of after-factory window tinting must be checked during the safety inspection. (See exceptions below)
    Windows may not be any darker than 35% visible light transmission. This standard is considered to be met if the window tint is no lower than 32% visible light transmission when measured by the station with a photometer.
    Windshield tinting is allowed, however the combination of the factory tint and the after market tint cannot have a light transmittance of less than 32%. The tint on the windshield cannot extend more than five inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of the windshield, whichever is longer.
    The window tinting restrictions apply without exception to the windshield of the vehicle. However, they do not apply to any other window of the following vehicle types:

• A window of an excursion passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) a.
    • A window of a for-hire passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) b.
    • A window of a common carrier of passengers, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) c.
    • A window of a motor home, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) d2.
    • A window of an ambulance, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (27) f.
    • The rear window of a property-hauling vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01 (31).
    • A window of a limousine.
    • A window of a law enforcement vehicle.
    • A window of a multipurpose vehicle that is behind the driver of the vehicle. A multipurpose vehicle is a passenger vehicle that is designed to carry 10 or fewer passengers and either is constructed on a truck chassis or has special features designed for occasional off-road operation. A minivan and a pickup truck are multipurpose vehicles.
    • A window of a vehicle for which DMV has issued a medical exception permit.
      • Medical Exceptions - A person who suffers from a medical condition that causes the person to be photosensitive to visible light may obtain a medical exception permit. To obtain a permit, an applicant shall apply in writing to the Drivers Medical Evaluation Program and have his or her doctor complete the required medical evaluation form provided by DMV. The permit shall be valid for five years from the date of issue, unless the Drivers Medical Evaluation Program directs a shorter time. The renewal shall require a medical re-certification that the person continues to suffer from a medical condition requiring window tinting.

A person may receive no more than two medical exception permits that are valid at any one time. A permit issued under this subsection shall specify the vehicle to which it applies, the windows that may be tinted, and the permitted levels of tinting. The permit shall be carried in the vehicle to which it applies when the vehicle is driven on a highway. DMV shall give a person who received a medical exception permit a sticker to place on the lower left-hand corner of the rear window of the vehicle to which it applies. The sticker shall be designed to give prospective purchasers of the vehicle notice that the windows of the vehicle do not meet the requirements of G.S. 20-127 (b), and shall be placed between the window and the tinting when the tinting is installed. DMV shall adopt rules regarding the specifications of the medical exception sticker. Failure to display the sticker is an infraction punishable by a two hundred dollar ($200) fine.
    • I like the paragraph above The Medical Exemption.

7. Apr 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    NeoMoose

NeoMoose Possibly Batman

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC TRD O.R.
    Kenwood eXcelon X993, Kenwood KFC-1693PS (Front), Kenwood KFC-G1620 (Rear), Luverne Black Nerf Bars, OEM Brush Guard, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-In, Some kickass wheel locks, Removed front mud flaps, All windows tinted, Anti-theft tailgate mod
    Tint. No substitutes.

8. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    VeNoMiZeD

VeNoMiZeD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was all set to get tint of the front two windows but that all changed when my sick ass Wet Okole seat covers came. I like the look with the windows being clear, you can see through and see the Wet Okoles.

9. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Get the tint matched anyway. It's badass. Truck looks all mysterious from the outside and then you open her up and bang....purty interior with the Wet O's and Weathertechs.

10. Oct 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    c005jjc

c005jjc Statistics are boring…until you become one!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner DoubleCab SR5
    Axle wrap mod, Fumoto oil drain valve, Tinted windows
    I have tinted my windows on my vehicles since 1982. I wouldn't have it any other way! I had a 1982 SR5 4X4 without air and took it on vacation to Florida and it was cooler with the tinted windows up and the sun roof cracked than with the windows down. I have never had any problems with law enforcement but it could be that I don't give them a reason to pull me over...works for me!

11. Oct 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Myn are tinted but in Canada its illegal (like everything else cool) so im considering taking it off, plus when i see a cop i cant just roll down my windows when its 30 below in the winter

Products Discussed in

To Top