1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tinting tail lights help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cstainton, May 28, 2009.

1. May 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    cstainton

cstainton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Ext Cab 4X4 SR5 v6 Short Bed, Manual
    6in Procomp Lift, Chrome Bull Bar, Billet Grille, TRD CAI, Tacoma seat covers, Kenwood 6in Nav/DVD/Music player, Viper alarm system, Tinted Tails, Rear Diff Breather Ext.
    Does anyone know a write up on how to Tint tail lights? I Have the VHT Night shades i just want to make sure i do this right and i dont know how to take off the tail lights and everything.

2. May 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Not sure on the tints but its easy to take off the tail lights. Lower the tailgate and just unscrew a couple screws on the side. I'm not positive where but its pretty much self explanitory.

3. May 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    cstainton

Member:
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    6in Procomp Lift, Chrome Bull Bar, Billet Grille, TRD CAI, Tacoma seat covers, Kenwood 6in Nav/DVD/Music player, Viper alarm system, Tinted Tails, Rear Diff Breather Ext.
    okay thanks..

4. May 28, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yup not problem. SOrry I couldn't help you out with the tints though. Someone will, there are a bunch of people on here that have tinted them out.;)

5. May 29, 2009 at 6:07 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I just did mine last week and used VHT and clear coated them.

When you put the tailgate down, you will see 3 bolts that look like they go into the taillights. Only the top and bottom bolts hold the light assembly, leave the center one tight.

Once you have the bolts out, pull the assembly straight out. It will be tight because there's 2 alignment pins that help hold the light in place. When you get it loose from the body, unplug the wiring harness socket from the back of the light. Mine was tight, but it came loose with a little wiggling back and forth while I was squeezing the plug.

Here's how I tinted my tails:

1. Clean the surface of both lights with a clean paper towel and denatured alcohol and let dry. This will remove all contaminates from the surface.

2. Lightly sand the surfaces with 400 grit (or 600 grit) wet/dry sandpaper. Some folks do not do this part, but IMO it should help with the tint sticking to the plastic.

3. Clean again with denatured alcohol and let dry. Do not touch the surface of the lens any more. You want the surfaces as clean as possible before tinting.

4. Find a dust free place where you can do all of the tinting and clear coat without having to touch or move the lights for about the next 6 hours.

5. After shaking the Nite Shades as directed on the label, use light even coats as directed, and allow about 15-20 minutes between coats of tint. I put on 2 coats of tint. Allow 30 minutes of dry time after the last coat of tint.

6. Apply light coats of clear allowing the dry time between coats as directed on the can. Dry time will vary depending on which type of clear you use. I applied 4 coats of clear to my lights.

7. After the final coat of clear, I let the lenses dry to the touch (about 1 hour), and then moved them outside in the sun to cure.

8. After 2 hours in the sun, I started the sanding and polishing.

9. The wet sanding started with 400 grit, and then I used 600, 800, and finished up with 1,000 grit. You want to get rid of the "orange peel" on the surface. I found if I did the sanding outside, the sun actually made it much easier to see where I needed to sand more.

10. After sanding them smooth, I used rubbing compound to remove the scratches from sanding.

11. After the rubbing compound I used to polishing compound to further remove the fine scratches left behind by the rubbing compound.

12. The last step in this process is to apply wax to the finished lights.

13. Finally, reinstall the tails and admire your work.

From start to finish, this mod took me about 6 hours, but it includes and lot of time waiting....... Actual "work time" is about 2 hours, most of that is in the sanding and polishing.

Good luck.

6. May 29, 2009 at 6:12 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    ^ if you're going to do it...do it right! Nice write-up!

I'd like to see pictures of your finished product.

7. May 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Me too, but it's been raining since I did mine, so no pics yet. :cool:

8. May 29, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    Sounds awesome, can't wait to do mine.

9. May 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    cstainton

Member:
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
  10. Mar 21, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    weekend project! Nice job btw

11. Mar 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Wow those babies are dark.....

Products Discussed in

To Top