1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tip etiquitte for extreme tabs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by slowmod01, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    I work in restaurant so let me put it this way. If you are a regular customer, tip your fucking server. And tip them well. Or else the service you see will become non existent. You are sitting at my table, taking up an 1 + of my time, your tab is over 100 dollars, and you give me 10 dollars. I am sorry but I would be mad as shit. Servers are good at remembering people and how they tip. If you are a good tipper, you will become the number one priority when it comes to seating and wait time. If you are not a good tipper, then your ass can wait outside in the cold.

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    JollyFarm

JollyFarm Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB
    ^ This. I normally tip 10-15% on all my tabs unless its great service and/or I get free drinks or free food, then it goes to 20-25% since i would have been paying that money to them anyways.

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler

Im pretty sure your position in the natural gas exploration field pays more than $2.35 / hr on average any month. if it didnt, i would expect a tip also. Just saying

I dont think everyone understands that servers dont typically make $10 / hr straight up, they rely on tips to make wage.......

So when you leave a shit tip, they dont get paid.

Does everyone understand that or no?

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    LOL. If you've paid their employer and the employer has paid them, than you've obviously paid for the service.

Are you a waiter, waitress, or restaurant owner? If not, why are you so angry over something which doesn't really impact you? You're certainly free to tip anyway you want, so there's no reason whatsoever to get angry over what others tip.

Anyway, there's no such thing as a mandatory tip. If you've paid $120 for a meal, why would think the waiter or whatever has an automatic right to $24 of your money? That's far more then most in this country are paid for a few minutes of time.

-

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler

I am the general operations manager of a group of 4 full service, independently owned restaurants/Bars. I worked my way up from a dishwasher to running the place.

everyone is free to tip whatever they like, i just want everyone to understand that most places in the US, servers dont get paid min wage off the bat. they rely on tips to make wage. They literally get $2.35 / hr.

So to answer your question, yes i am involved in the restaurant industry, and i assume you are not, correct?

Im not trying to be a dick

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    If it is a very nice place and take all of my kids and spouses. I will tip 15-20% on the credit card and give a very good cash tip to the waiter that he does not have to share if he did an out standing job. If I have to ask for my glass to be filled he will know I am not happy. It is a service job and you get what you earn. I work for my money and I expect the waiter to do the same. No I do not want them to kiss my butt, but I expect my glass to be filled. I always let them know that in the begining I drink a lot of water and if they don't get the hint..........................money talks. I have tipped over half the bill to a waiter that did a great job. They really like the cash part. They also remember me went we come back.
    If I am ther over an hour I know I am costing money they could make from someone else then i make up for it in the tip. I know what waiters make.
    At a place in Marble Falls Texas on the lake, the waiter had three runners working with him. We had to wait 15mins for someone to come to our table and another 10 before they took our orders. We ordered burgers and I asked for ketchup and hot sauce when the food arrived at the table. Neither showed up till after I was done with my sandwich and fries. I had to get up and fill my glass water. I filled out the comment card. The couple at the table next to us got tired of waiting to be waited on that got up and left. You get what you earn.

7. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    ^well said... makes sense to me.

8. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    ^^^^ What he said !!! It's fucking earned, I don't give a shit what the wage is, I'm already paying a premium price to have my food cooked for me, if the waiter/waitress wants more money out of my pocket, they better earn it. $20 dollars on a $100 bill in an hour or less, WAY, and I mean WAY more than a lot of other jobs pay. You're serving food, not engineering something, earn it !!!

9. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    slowmod01

slowmod01 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Lol.. mine- filet, potatoes au gratin, ceaser salad, coke. her- lobster / filet thing, some 12x layered chocolate cake, glass of wine.

The wife actually ate part of my salad and some of my potatoes. It was one of those deals where she knew she couldn't eat the entree and an entire side by herself and still have room for desert. We had plans afterwards too, as well as a 45 minute drive back home so no left overs.. and i'll be damned if i'm driving through that area or Atlanta with any alcohol on my breath.

10. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    If you do an averge job at work you still get paid. If the waiter does his job, and I am not talking about above and beyond I mean just averge then they should get 15-20% no matter what. There has only been two times that they did not get at least 15%. You read about one them and other I was taking the cash to the table for the tip and the manger stopped me and told me not to leave anything because customers should not have to get thier own tea and water.

11. Feb 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    LOL! I like this manager!

12. Feb 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    It's clear that more than a few people don't understand (where full service is available in the US) that buying the food (for the most part) does not include paying the wait staff. Again (from my post above) check out how the wait staff is taxed. It's typical to tax them on 8% of the tab (less sales tax where it applies). This means it is accepted by the government (& don't get me started on this, I'd like to not be banned) that tipping is the norm as part of the wait staffs compensation. This is in addition to the $2.xx an hour they make from the "employer". What it really means, if you tip less then 8%, the wait staff is/are paying taxes on money they didn't even earn.

I guess I don't understand why people eat out at all let alone at a full service location if the money is that much of a problem....

13. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    This is somewhat true Joe, some people don't get it... However, by the same token you mention full service you also miss the point. Maybe not to others but to me --- full service = full tip... Less than full service will NOT equal full tip.

If you work at a food service that pays you $2.xx/hr that is your choice, there are many that pay minimum wage or close to it plus you get tips. If you're working at one that only pays $2.xx and you rely on good tips, then I guess you better give some outstanding service.

I'm not as hell bent on the gratuity thing as some. But I believe it's a good example of what is wrong with this country.... People hold their hands out and expect something for nothing.

Do a little history research as to how tipping got started in this country... Somehow, somewhere along the way it became commonplace, expected, and relied on.... Again, it's called gratuity or a "tip" for a reason.... I'm not cheap, but I expect something for my money, I work hard for it.

14. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    I think this conversation has gotten off the main topic. The original topic was related to tipping based upon the price of the bill, nothing at all was mentioned about poor service. Obviously if the service sucks, well, we can start a new thread on that....

If you spend $150 on dinner for 2, not a dime of that goes directly to the wait staff, except for their hourly wage. so yes tipping is somewhat necessary. If no one tipped, i dont think anyone would apply for a fucking serving position. then there would be no servers, or the ones willing to work that job would be under qualified , then no one would go out to eat....it would be a viscous downward spiral .

And as stated above is money is that tight, you probably shouldnt be going out to eat. If your ok with dropping a buck and a half on dinner you should be willing to shell out a decent tip, assuming service was decent

I will not argue with anyone who doesnt feel they should tip 15-20% if the service was shitty. I will usually tip at least 20% no matter what but thats personal preference.

15. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    Broseph Stalin

Broseph Stalin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    '10 white dbl cab LB trd sport
    15% tint , Bak Flip G2 tonneau cover, poplock WeatherTech mats, FX-R retrofit, BHLM, eyelids, smoke Lamin-X, daystar leveling kit, studded snow tires and a shitload of sand bags
    hey guys,

I serve at an upscale restaurant and it is known that our service is meant to be superior than most other places you would go, just for the class of our restaurant. I live in Cali and get a minimum of $8 an hr(alot better than $2.xx).
    If something was wrong with your food i.e. undercooked/ not prepared the way you asked I wouldn't expect anything special for a tip let alone a tip at all, unless I got your food comp'd and made up for the downfall. If the service was the best i could give you and everything went smoothly, i appreciate a tip but if you stiff me be ready to get a dirty look when i see you around town haha. No one likes a cheap ass, and dont think that servers don't talk to their friends about their tables. Word travels and we understand that, bad service for you means less business for us in the future=less money :(

16. Feb 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Oh no, I don't think we're far apart on tipping. I don't advocate an automatic tip. I feel the tip should be propotional to the level and quality of service. I like the concept of paying wait staff based on time & work on my table (kinda so much an hour). My problem with it is, I can't accuratly define the amount of time all of the staff who helped spent at my table and so will continue just using a percentage. That assumes that the higher the food price, the more people and level of difficulty and quality will be higher as well.

Unlike you, I'd be okay if more things in our country were priced according to the value one puts on whatever product or service is being provided. Not being political as I don't support either party in power, but I'd be for starting with our elected "leaders".

17. Feb 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    WARNING RANT: I can hardly believe some of the ideas I see in here about tipping. I have worked in the hospitality industry for almost 30 years. For those of you too ignorant to realize it waiters don't get paid shit by the hour, they get paid on your tips or the lack there of apparently since many of you appear to be rather cheap. Tipping is part of the cost of dining out if you can't afford it GO TO F*%^ING DENNY'S! If you think the meal is overpriced before you go then why bother going? You will be jaded the whole time. Restaurants (especially "overpriced" ones) are not the money makers many of you think they are. In this day and age 18% is a standard tip. (For those of you not mathmetically inclined here is an easy way to figure 18%.... Get out your cell phone!!!!) If you give less you are indicating you are unhappy with your service,(Notice I said service. If you are unhappy with the food tell a manager. Surprisingly your waiter doesn't actually prepare your food.) more would indicate the contrary. I have paid as much as $500 for a meal before and yes I tipped $150 on top of that. Waiters work hard, shitty hours, on holidays, at night, and on weekends. On top of that they have to put up with MORON'S who can't figure out how act or eat in a fine dining restaurant let alone tip. Have some mercy on your waiter. If they screw up let a manager know and they will adjust your bill, then tip accordingly. But don't walk in the door having already decided that $10 tip is all you are giving no matter what the bill is.

Sorry couldn't help myself. Valentine's Day (better known as amateur night) was hell.

18. Feb 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    again, well said ^^ glad someone understands what is what.

19. Feb 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    coloradotacoma

Member:

To clarify for you. I am a Executive Chef/Managing Partner for a fine dining restaurant group in Denver. I have worked in fine dining restaurants and hotels all over the United States for the past 30 years. As far as affording anything I will simply say that I make well into the 6 figure range annually. Re; Tipping: The standard has not been 15% for a decade, and frankly most people that know better use 20% as a baromoter. As far as the full time thing or college kid thing goes you have no idea what you are talking about and are showing your ignorance by posting that. Professional waiters in Denver are generaly 30-50 years old, work about 35-40 hours weekly over 6 shifts of mixed lunch and dinner, and make between $40,000-$60,000 annually. (they also have families just fyi). As far as why I ranted I believe your idiotic post is a good example of why.

20. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    coloradotacoma

Member:
    Just because you have never been in a restaurant where they work doesn't mean they don't exist.

Products Discussed in

To Top