1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tip etiquitte for extreme tabs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by slowmod01, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    So we're not far apart on tipping then :thumbsup:

However, where did you derive that I'm NOT ok with more things being priced in relation to the product or service being provided ???

Politics plays no part. However, if you voted for ole Barry, I hope you feel you're getting exactly what you voted for, and don't dare complain, you had a choice.

Back to the subject: It's somewhat true, a higher priced restaurant will, or SHOULD have a higher quality level of food, necessitating a higher level of trained staff and higher paid. I went to Tobacco Co. last night for a better steak, I felt I got it and I also received excellent service, hence I tipped $20 on a $106 bill, that's between 15-20% and it was easier to round to a $20 bill... To me it's about the attitude to go with the service... Don't expect or act like you automatically deserve that percentage of tip. But I'm only arguing that it's not the patron's fault a waiter's wages are primarily made up by tips. The restaurant and the industry chose to make it that way, why does that burden fall on the patron ???

I say take pride in your damn work and the service you're providing and expect nothing... You walk away with the pride that you provided the best service possible regardless of the outcome, some people will be @ssholes, others will reward you dually. Too many lazy folks are providing piss poor services and expecting a premium tip. They won't get it from me, that's all I'm saying.

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    This is exactly correct and how I felt when I was in your shoes making much less!! I do tip in my opinion very well when the service calls for it. I've on many occasions left a good tip then went and spoke to the manager on duty to hopefully help out such a good server.

What people are failing to understand is that a tip is just that and must be earned. When you hire on and agree to get paid said amount you then need to put out in order to get more. Another words you do the bare minimum you earn the bare minimum, hence the reason pay is so low and you are encouraged to make tips, it betters the business as well as your wallet.

Oh and yes I do earn a good pay but its the job I agreed to and as some say everyone should get tipped.

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Again & still don't think we are far apart Mike.

See quote and my thinking below...

Not being sarcastic at all here... To a degree, with regard to wait staff, I took this that way. I don't see the wait staff as wanting something for nothing. Again, not being sarcastic and will freely admit I may have taken it wrong. As I posted further up in the thread, I see eating out as more than one purchase, one for the food, the other for the service provided by the wait staff as I feel that is their primary souce of income and if I'm willing to enjoy it (knowing how the system works) I'm will to pay for it...and not saying your not.

FOR THE RECORD: Not really sure who "ole Barry" is...although I think I have a pretty good idea. Without noting who I voted for I will tell you I am ULTRA conservative...did I say ULTRA? That's not a strong enough word. Further, I've voted in every election that I was legal to vote in since I was of voting age. In addition, I pay more in taxes (in just income taxes) than the average person earns in this country so that, combined with the fact I do vote (legally mind you), makes me feel as if I'm allowed to voice my thoughts, if not on TW (okay I'll stop). In paying these taxes, keep in mind I am a single father of one adult child.

Seems fair...

Brother, I hope you did not take my comments in any of this thread (or anywhere on TW) as being hostile towards you...sure was not my goal. Like I said, I don't think we're far apart.

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Ok - so wait staff goes on strike for better wages. Restaurant raises prices to cover the increase. Wait staff no longer has to bust ass to impress you. Just drops by once in a while to see if you're done yet.

Enjoy that if you want.

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    CopyTaco

CopyTaco skeeert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kins
    Florence, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4x4 DCLB
    OME, Demello, 4xInnovations, Relentless, Murdered Click Sig Pic for Build Log
    tldr;

I regularly tip 20-30% for server's who do their job WELL.
    I am part of the industry.

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bingo

7. Feb 24, 2012 at 1:30 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
  8. Feb 24, 2012 at 3:50 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
  9. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Not at all man... It's online conversation and nothing more, it's entertainment and it makes the day go by. :thumbsup: Not only that, this whole topic is one of those things that's purely subject to opinion, always a good starting ground for a hot conversation.

Just for the record, my initial comment was never directed at politics, but I'm sorry if my political response thereafter offended you or anyone else. It was a cheap dig that had no place.

10. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I think this says it best

11. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    look, i understand everyones view and i completely agree that any payment in life should be earned. the inital topic was " is $10 on $120 ok "

Does everyone agree that, assuming the service up to par, that is a shitty tip?

12. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    On Topic:
    $120 bill service was sufficient, I'm not very needy take my order deliver my food bring my check refills if necessary though not usually. Roughly $20 would have been my tip. If I asked for opinion on food and a good opinion (personal) was delivered likely a better tip would have been left as I feel that warrants more.

13. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    ^^ perfect. its the theory that counts

14. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    agree... and if the service was poor, it was a rightful tip.

15. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Well, the restaurant industry, making billions in profits each year, can certainly afford to pay better wages. However, I have a much more realistic scenario for you, especially since it's already happening. As restaurants continue to raise prices to gain ever greater profits, with wait staff (often rudely, as seen by some comments here) making ever greater demands for money from customers (punishing, with inferior service, those who fail to comply), fewer people will be eating out, more restaurants will go bust, and more wait staff and similar will be unemployed. I have no control over that - the restaurants and wait staff do.

-

16. Feb 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    coloradotacoma

Member:

That then brings up another question and therby another can of worms:

What exactly is good service?

Those of us who work in the industry see people who come in every day TRYING to have a bad experience or find something wrong. Or never intending to tip at a reasonable level. (I understand "reasonable level" is a debate unto itself.) Many diners walk in the door trying to get freebies and intending on stiffing the server no matter what quality the food and service is.

17. Feb 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    slowmod01

slowmod01 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ^^ as a regular customer at several restaraunts in the past, i have seen this many, many times. people will order something, literally eat 90% of it then start bitching in order to get their bill comped. I have also seen a customer be told not to come back, apparently she had pulled this crap 3x's with one manager.

18. Feb 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    coloradotacoma

Member:

First off the average restaurant in the united states creates about $3 million a year in revenue. Then consider, an average restaurant makes between 6-8% profit. You can generally do better in the stock market. About 30% of their revenue goes to pay labor of all kinds. That is quite a high percentage considering that most restaurants currently run between 34-38% food cost, and 22% combined alcholic beverag cost. Remember there are still 2 dozen other cost which need to come out of the 100% before the owner/operator gets what is left. Restaurants are raising costs because it cost them more to buy the products that they serve. Believe me its not to increase their profitability, its just to maintaiin it at the same rate they need. Also consider the average restaurant cost approximately $2 million to open. That loan has to ger paid off sometime as well. The restaurants I operate cost $7 million each to open.
    Now consider that almost no restaurants provide benefits for the hourly staff.
    Look around your city/state and see how many independant restauranst are closing, let alone chains. Why do you think this might be? Maybe there isn't so much money in it after all. People are not dining out because the can't afford to. The recession has caused habits to change. Inflation has far surpassed increases in income on all levels. True only good doperators will be left. But don't misunderstand the scenario and believe that operators are raising prices to increase profitability. They are doing it to maintain what little they have. Believe me restaurants operators understand that raising prices drives away customers

19. Feb 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD

Not sure where you are getting your info here but profit margins in the restaurant industry are pretty tight.... not as glamorous as the tv shows make it out to be. And yes it is a business, not a hobby, so as an operator, we try to make it as profitable as possible. "certainly afford to pay better wages" ??? wasnt someone just saying its a mindless job? Prices typically go up because the cost of purchases goes up, and operating expenses are constantly rising. If you think a particular restaurant is too pricy, you should go somewhere else.

you say rude waitstaff demanding money and all that shit..... That doesnt fly in a properly managed restaurant, in reality. Trust me, I monitor my employees and have fired people for poor attitudes or being rude. Almost all restaurants rely on repeat customers.... there is no reason the staff or operators would want to piss off customers

I get the feeling you are the type of person who probably walks into a restaurant with a bad attitude. The same type of person i will do everything in my power to make you have a good experience.. Its called the hospitality industry for a reason.

You are right, some places are more expensive than others. You can get new york strip at a truck stop diner for $9 or a high end spot for $40 a la cart...... i dont think you need me to finish this comparison.

20. Feb 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    coloradotacoma

Member:
    Well Said

Products Discussed in

To Top