1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips for beating a Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BlancoTaco08, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    BlancoTaco08

BlancoTaco08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I know...I'm reaching...Oh well, I guess taking a drivers safety course won't kill me

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Does Texas have a payment plan option?

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Man up. You got busted. If you are going to speed, be prepared to deal with the consequences if you get caught. It's that simple. Go to court, be honest, let the chips fall.

All that piddly crap of the ticket not being perfect or trying to find a teenie mistake. Won't matter. Fact remains, you were speeding and you are not Johnnie Cochran.

4. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    MSteinhauer

MSteinhauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DoubleCab SR5
    The best way to save money in the long run will be to pay a little extra and go to traffic school so the ticket doesn't go on your record. This will keep your insurance rates down. If you don't the insurance might raise your rates and it will hurt more in the long run.

I got a red light ticket for going through a light 0.9 seconds to late which was because I hesitated when it turned yellow slowed down but then decided I could make it through there. Oh well. If you go to http://www.gototrafficschool.com/ you can do your traffic school online while watching a movie or doing whatever you want. You can even open up two windows on your computer to help you with answering the questions for this little quizzes. If you want to save an extra $2 you can use the referral code: XEDE-4C34. Good luck.

5. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    InaKoma08

InaKoma08 INAKOMA08

Member:
    Nokesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Access Cab
    FABTECH 6" Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal MO951, 35x12.50x17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Line Of Fire, Jardine Catback,
    In my WRX right before I got my Tacoma I was "accussed" of driving wrecklessly 79 in a 45. My job requires a CDL and the reckless point difference would have had me by the neck with a CDL. Before my court date I attended a driving improvement class voluntarily which brought my point difference up some and i sold the WRX to get the Tacoma. I got a lawyer for $200 and the court dropped my charge to speeding and a $200 fine. Depending on where you live but here, 19-20mph over the limit is Wreckless. The court is just one big money game. Take a class before you go to court, get a cheap lawyer and you'll be just fine. The driving class and difference from "race car" to truck REALLY helped me in court.

6. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Take your checkbook and a pen, ask the judge very nicly to reduce the fee. Worked for my son.

7. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
  8. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    heres what I did to get a ticket knocked down huge here in canada, I plead guilty with an excuse, so the judge knocked it down to the bare minimum plus the fees, so instead of it being 115, I paid 52$

9. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    01taco

01taco Member

Member:
    Missouri (not by choice)
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Throttle body spacer Black Headlights FUTURE MODS: Toytec coilovers, All pro offroad UCA's, BILSTIEN rear shocks and Toytec AAL's and....
    I'm certified on radar, there are alot of loopholes with radar but you have to know them. Like if you were in a pack of cars you could fight it that way, there is no way to determine your speed in a pack of cars with radar. You would have to be in the front or in the back of the pack. If you are certified on radar you have to calibrate it before and after the shift and everytime you pull someone over, also everytime you move spots if you are using a stationary radar. Everytime a radar is calibrated its recorded by the dispatcher (or it should) cops dont have to produce the recorded speed one thing they have to produce is a radar certification card or something saying they are certified through their state. surroundings, and weather like if was windy or something like that it could pick objects being blown around by the wind. Now after saying all that, from my knowledge thats why police DP's have switched to laser if you got tagged by a laser youre pretty much F'ed its hard to beat that! This wont help now but, it's worth a shot! Sorry bout your luck.

10. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I was going to say this. I've heard that if you change the date one or more times, you'll increase the chance that the cop won't show up. Like others have said, it's not a sure-fire way to get out. From what I understand, if you try to re-schedule they'll just bump you to the next day that cop is scheduled to be at traffic court.

I've received 3 tickets around here, one in Tuscaloosa, and one from the Troopers. Each time I requested to do community service and/or driving school to keep it off my record. Each time they said OK. You're only supposed to get that deal one time, but if you get it and it's not on your record, they don't know you've done it before. (You'd think they'd keep track, but all evidence to the contrary.)

I have incredibly low insurance rates b/c I have zero tickets on my record.

EDIT: Like others, I believe that taking responsibility for your actions is always the way to go. IMO, though, doing community service and taking drivers school as an alternative to putting the ticket on your record IS taking responsibility.

11. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Man up and admit it. I got taped not stopping before turning right on a red light. I admitted that I was driving and that I know I was wrong. I got a call from the cop saying that they were going to drop the charge. I feel like I got rewarded for my honesty. Maybe it'll work for you.

12. Jun 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont speed? :wave:

13. Jun 18, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    you can also ask in court if the radar gun was calibrated the day of the ticket and also if it was calibrated right.

14. Jun 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Go to court, pay the ticket... This is the consequence for breaking the law. Don't do it again. OMG I sound like my dad!

(He sure is a smart man)

15. Jun 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport

Attached Files:

16. Jun 18, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    You may want to tuck that weather report into your back pocket. If you pull that thing out the Judge may smack ya harder for speeding during "self admitted" inclimate conditions.

17. Jun 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    How about man up to it, since you were speeding, and leave the lead foot at home from now on.

18. Jun 18, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    I just went to court today for 82 in a 60. 4 points and $176. The f'd up thing is that there were 3 people before me that went up for the same thing. They only got 3 points and the same $$$. I haven't had a ticket in a long time. I don't understand. Piece of shit Denver cops.

19. Jun 18, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

yep...them POS cops...how DARE they do their job.:boink: They wouldn't have stopped you if you weren't speeding. And you would not have gotten a ticket. And you would not have gotten to pay the court.

Don't play unless you're willing to pay. .02:cool:

20. Jun 19, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    Alright Mr. Rightcheous! Go team. :thumbsup: Well considering the flow of traffic is 80 on a consistent basis including that day, I didn't care for getting pulled over. Of course this is my fault. I'm the one who sped but I can still be pissed about it if that's ok. I've been driving the speed limit or 5-7 over ever since then and people fly me every morning including unmarked police vehicles. It'll happen today on my way to work guaranteed. It's racial profiling I think, my car is black. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top